Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Dealer's Choice! Winter Forum Fun - Run what ya brung! shooter

Dealer's Choice! Winter Forum Fun - Run what ya brung! shooter
November 25, 2009 10:17PM
Cajun Justice [ PM ]
Re: We need some input - Gary new
November 25, 2009 04:08PM IP/Host: 69-92-81-98.cpe.cableone.net

How about this guys, looks like we have about 4-6 participants. Lets rotate the "dealer" if you will and have it dealers choice. We'll have a one week shooting period for each target and rules. Then we can post our targets as the next dealers target and rules run for the following week. The dealer needs to let us know where to find the target and a standard dimension to use on the target. He will also give us the rules. The posting of targets will stop 1 wk after the two week shooting period.

For example:

My target can be found at [www.airgunsmith.com]
Reference size is large circle labeled 6.0 is 6 cm diameter at outside edge.
Distance 10 yds
Hold Forestock may be rested on an artificial surface the butt can only be supported by the shooter. Shooter may be in any position.
The 27 circles to be shot largest to smallest in sequence. This will be repeated once for the same target sheet for a total of 54 shots. To score, the hole must include the blank area within the circle. Highest possible score will be 54.
Shooting on this target will be 11/27 till 12/4. (For this first one let's not waste time and we'll start now). Posting of targets/scores will begin 12/4 till 12/11.

My printer requires all margins, headers, footers are removed in print preview...page setup. and custom resize to 115%.

Who's ready to shoot? Who's next dealer? Can we get a Sticky post./ site for dealers and posters to use?

Kent

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2009 01:23AM by barnespneumatic.
November 25, 2009 10:32PM
I've copied Kent's post. I've set up this "Sticky" site for us to start with. It will evolve.

We're going to start with the target/rules Kent suggested for the first round. I'll let Kent clear up the questions. I have to find something that will shoot ....

2cabin_fever.jpeg

Here we have the cure for the "Cabin Fever" soon to fall upon us all! It's already got me ... with this eternal darkness we live in now from 5:30pm onward! hahah.

Join us.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2009 01:21AM by barnespneumatic.
November 26, 2009 05:17AM
"eternal darkeness"...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Try sunset at 3:17 sad smiley

On the positive side, at least we DO get sunshine here from time to time. The folks up in Barrow have 87 days with no sunrise at all starting around this time of year.
November 26, 2009 01:38PM
You need to consider moving to planet Earth. hahah. grinning smiley

Sunset at 3 pm ... Lowes two days away .... 50 below for months on end .... golly .... I can't see why EVERYBODY doesn't pack up and move to you town. hahaha.

LOL!

Gary
November 26, 2009 01:01PM
great cartoon by the way
November 27, 2009 12:11AM
Hi Guys,

Looks like we're off and shooting. There is one change that I thought I made to the post. Some how my edits are not "Sticking" to the final product.

This particular change is The posting of targets will stop 1 wk after the ONE week shooting period.

This means that the deal will change weekly, with posting of targets and shooting the next dealers target/rules the following week.

With 6 shooters we should each get to deal twice in the 3 months of winter (or 87 days of total darkness).

Has anyone tried to print the Target? any problems? questions?

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2009 12:14AM by Cajun Justice.
November 27, 2009 04:50PM
OK - I admit to having trouble with everything. However; I can't print this stupid target.

I've killed three trees and used $75 worth of ink ... but nothing is correct. I've found the "turn off headers" ... and set the size to 115%. However; I kept getting the original size target. I then found an "enable shrink to fit" command .... and unclicked it. Then, it would print the thing to nearly the correct size, but the right edge and bottom circles are incomplete. Doesn't fit on the standard paper. What am I missing? I'm the test case for others, whom no doubt, will find the same issues. google eyes

Gary
November 30, 2009 04:07PM
I had a question earlier.

Found the info. I needed.

Copy from Kent's text: (In case anyone else wondered)

The 27 circles to be shot largest to smallest in sequence. This will be repeated once for the same target sheet for a total of 54 shots. To score, the hole must include the blank area within the circle. Highest possible score will be 54.
Shooting on this target will be 11/27 till 12/4. (For this first one let's not waste time and we'll start now). Posting of targets/scores will begin 12/4 till 12/11.

That's what I needed. Last point of order: I supose we can use two different targets (new one for the second round) - so we have a clean aim point for each shot of the game?

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2009 07:29PM by barnespneumatic.
November 30, 2009 08:13PM
Gary,
I found some of that .350 ball in with my .320 ball, barely got it stuffed into the barrel, but with a rubber hammer and by thegrace of God I got it done.

That target had the first 27 holes so I took a pic. That's some idea to use a whole new target, you sure do hate them trees! I guess once you mastered that "Custom resize" you couldn't help yourself but make a dozen copies.

Now that you have all this printer wisdom, are you going to step up and be dealing soon?

Kent
November 30, 2009 09:09PM
HI Kent,

Yeah - I spiked my BP this afternoon with the printer again. It needed ink this time. Then, the paper would just cycle thru and spit out at you - without printing.

Oddly, the margins seemed to be an issue with the program again. When I went to print ... they were still set to the defaults ... so I left them that way. Wrong. The silly thing wants to be in control. Once I re-set them all to zero again ... THEN the PRINTER was in control ... and IT could reset to the same default numbers that had been shown. By Golly ... it wasn't gonna have me set the defaults. eye rolling smiley

And, eventually, it worked. And, I shot my targets! thumbs up

Now ... I wait with the masses, until the appointed time to post the scores.

Sure - I'll deal a set ... but I thought there was already somebody in line, unless I read the thread wrong. I'll think up something cunning and devious ... ah HAH ...hahahh...hahahha.

So, seems Kent has shot his targets, I've shot mine, I heard (thru the vine) that Jerry shot his. Anybody else? Jim - you need help with that printer? hahah., And, Dan was all over this ... has that new gun too. I KNOW that Neil and Cedric will rise to the occasion. Common guys. We need some pioneers to take the arrows. excited

Gary
November 30, 2009 09:10PM
Oh ... I shot mine with the 32 Appaloosa and 32 Buckshot.

take a bow

coffee

Gary
November 30, 2009 09:32PM
So ... just to be clear (if you check your calanders) ...

We can start posting the targets the day Before my birthday, and continue until six days After my birthday. whistling

Just trying to be as helpful as possible .... grinning smiley

Gary
November 28, 2009 12:38AM
Gary,
I clicked on target, then print preview, then gear (page setup) and got rid of header and footer text...then made all margins 0....it resized it to a small decimal .13 etc..OK....then resize at the shrink to fit pull down with a click on CUSTOM and then 115%...Then mine requires that I print page 2...looks like it should work on the preview. I printed it at the office on a Brother printer and worked well.

If yours is cutting the right side, I would guess that the LEFT margin is set to high. But I'm no Windows wizard.

kent
November 28, 2009 02:30PM
I'll have to check the "margins" thingie. Mine was cutting off the right side AND the bottom.

I'll see what I can do.

Anybody else trying this? I'm not hearing any printer advice from the "Kinko's" guys out there ... surely they read here too! grinning smiley

Gary
November 28, 2009 04:19PM
OK ... that cured it and I got a clean target. You have to take off the pre-sets in "Margins". It will keep a minimum default top and bottom .... but it will reset the left and right margins to .013

So; that was BEFORE you hit print .... you pull down the arrow to the right of the printer icon. Go to Print Preview. Take off the Headers/Footers. Deselect the "shrink to fit" box .... deselect the pre-set margins .... and set the size to 115%. Simple! more innocent

Now, Kent .... I think it would be real nice for us to post a digital pic of our completed target for score. Going to show more drama than a simple number.

Gary
November 28, 2009 11:22PM
Well, the joke's on me.

I finally got the target printed properly. I thought I'd enter the contest with my ball reservoir 34 caliber. I've never cut molds for slugs for that experimental barrel. I just used what I've named "Buck Ball". Run an oversized buckshot thru a sizing die of proper size. I had some in a tin that I used to sight in. The gun is unfinished, and just has my laughable aluminum, brass shim stock, and aluminum tape sights on it. However; it's pretty accurate that way.

All ready to have a relaxing session ... now ... where's that bag of .350" buckshot? Hummmm .... And ... that continued (while I worked) for the rest of the day. It's well and truely hidden. Not in the shop, truck, or War Wagon. I suspect Jerry hid it last visit! eye popping smiley

laughing again

So - I have a fine target ... but no lead.

This will change.

Gary
November 29, 2009 12:50AM
I wouldn't think of just posting just a score!!! more innocent Now I am going to wait until Friday to start posting my targets for this "deal". That's also when the new dealer lets us know what the new game is. Have we determined who's playing and who's next dealer? artist

I will post my setup for the shoot now.

This is my new target holder. Gary had suggested I buy these real estate signs, if I remember correctly, and I've made it portable and stable on the concrete.
Target stand hole.JPG
I painted the 10 yd lines at the target and bench on the concrete as well. Now all I have to do is remember to open the door and not shoot anyone driving up the driveway..shooter
Shooting station.JPG

Kent
November 29, 2009 03:21PM
Actually, if you remember .... I had suggested that you buy me about 50 acres .... and then you could KEEP the real estate sign as a target frame! whistling Also - no fair going that far into the future, and probably using technology that the rest of us won't have access to for fifteen years!

grinning smiley

Anyway ... looks like you razored out the target and the backer. Hummm. I suspect a good score. And, I was gonna use my little antique gun. Hummmm ....

Gotta fine something ... put some glass on it ....

Gary

Ah ... I can't help but notice that this has developed into a rousing conversation between Kent and I. Notice that Kent didn't set up any bleecher seats .... hummmm. Common guys .... Airguns ... you know ... pellets ... holes in paper .... remember????? wink

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2009 03:24PM by barnespneumatic.
December 01, 2009 02:55PM
Took a few pics while shooting: We'd sure enjoy seeing your pics too.

Forum Shoot 006.JPG

My 32 Appaloosa (which I purchased off the net). I get beat up so much about my scopes ... I recalled that I had an old Burris Signature 8 by 32 scope. I mounted it in a pr. of Barnes scope rings. Worked pretty well. Although, I couldn't get a setting where the crosshairs were ON at 10 yards.

Forum Shoot 013.JPG

I had to use the intersection of the vertical post, and the bottom curve of the sight picture. whistling That was on at 32X. Everything doesn't have to be perfect - just repeatable. To use this scope for this close range, I'd need a different set of rings, or different front barrel mount.

Forum Shoot 012.JPG

My shop bullet trap for small bore. Welded steel, and backed up by a steel shield, and steel covered wall. Of course ... anyone who shoots airguns, will have some version of a trap, or location where a trap is not needed.

Forum Shoot 008.JPG

Knocked together table top (attached to the top of one work bench with one screw) and has one folding peg leg on a hinge. As per Kent's directions, I rested the front of the gun on the bags, and held the rear of the gun manually.

Forum Shoot 011.JPG

Recovered buckshot ball from the sand trap. The back of my trap is sloping - and deflects the ball into about an inch of sand (and previous lead) in the bottom tray.

Something that may help others. You can't make every projectile blast a perfectly round edge to edge caliber hole in a paper target. Give yourself credit for your shot. Even though I printed my targets on card stock to get a better print. Therefore; on a shot like this ... use a dial caliber, etc., set at one half of your caliber. Put one point at the center of your strike.

Forum Shoot 015.JPG

Half of my caliber (.320" divided by 2 = .160") held at the center of the strike ... clearly puts the edge of caliber inside the white of the circle. A perfect waddcutter would have printed far better.

Forum Shoot 016.JPG

Caliper set to full caliber - .320"

I hope some of you very quiet readers, are also shooting at home. This was surely the perfect set-up. 10 yards, with any gun ... pretty minimum equipment specs. for anyone who says airguns are a hobby of theirs. thumbs up Hope to see a bunch of targets in a few days! smileys with beer

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2009 03:37PM by barnespneumatic.
December 01, 2009 11:35PM
Hmmmm... a little competition and suddenly there's no Simmons shotgun scope to be found but a 32x sniper scope in custom rings appears! Someone is SO busted! Here I was making do with a 3-12x Leapers... I may need to shoot another target with the P3 and dial the scope up to 50x! excited I wonder how many wadcutters I have in stock?
December 01, 2009 11:57PM
Hey - those rings were in the "scope ring drawer" when we mounted the bent up Center Point - somehow their chrome brillance hide them from us.

I was happy to shoot the target with aluminum tape sights ... until SOMEONE hid the .350" buckshot! tongue sticking out smiley

P3 and 50X .... so; yer sayin' ... ya feel a NEED to BETTER your score .... hehehhehe .... shooter

Gary
December 02, 2009 08:25AM
Yup, it looks like 'ol Gary has been holding out on us, scope-wise.winking smiley

If someone puts up some serious competition, he'll probably whip out some fancy Euro-glass the same size and magnification as the Hubble telescope and fab up some custom rings. "Hey, look what I just found in a drawer"whistling

Yeah, right...we're keeping an eye on you, mister!
December 02, 2009 02:19PM
What Gary, that fancy scope is to nice to shim to get it sighted in at 10 yd? Or don't you have an old aluminum coke can around that shop?knucklehead

And now we've broken out the caliper to score the target? I may have to borrow "Bubba's" caliper, but I think that might short me a couple of thousands, IIRC. laughing again

To tell the truth, I contact cemented my targets to card stock as well. But I didn't find the calipers necessary, I let you interpret this statement. It will all be clear on Friday's target postings!

Gary, is your fancy bench bolted into the war wagon?

Kent
December 02, 2009 02:51PM
blah blah shooter with bench rifle

Here we are, trying to encourage the readers to jump into our little game here. And ... I get chewed up to a mere husk ... after posting a wealth of information ... out of the GOODNESS of my HEART!!! hot smiley

laughing again

Just so I don't get my knees broken ... I made those scope rings, several years ago, to put a scope on the Nautilus. And, since they are two pc., split top to bottom ... you cannot shim that type of ring. So there! whistling

There's no room to set up my collapsable bench in the shop. This little version, when anchored to the work bench, was enough - and will store aside with the leg folded.

I put this scope in a case, years ago, cause I thought it suggested it had a problem with wandering around on the target. I've been moving stuff all over the shop, moved the case and recalled the scope. Thought I'd try it. And, what do I get ... HEARTACHE!!!

surrender

Gary
December 02, 2009 10:38PM
Don't tell Julio you can't shim that style of ring or he'll take apart the Caribou rings and never get it on at 50yds.knucklehead I shimmed his Werne split rings with a ribbon of AL from a can. Worked great. Now you can tell me how I ruined the scope, just don't tell him.winking smiley

I did a little scope rigging on my own gun as well. With the next round I'll be shooting the Rendezvous 25 (sexiest hot smileyairgun ever made) which has the "non adjustable" parallax 1.5x 6 Pentax. Well don't believe everything you read. If you screw off the objective endcap you can then adjust the parallax to what ever you want. In this case instead of 100yds, I brought it in closer to 30yd. Now I can use the scope for what I intended it for a max 50 yd squirrel gun or 10 yrd indoor popper. Makes a big difference in what you see at 10 yds.

Kent
December 02, 2009 11:06PM
Yes, yes, yes ... but what about the Salmon? whistling hahahhah. Couldn't resist .... grinning smiley

Hey - well maybe old "Werne" makes his 1" ring diameter something bigger than 1" ... but Barnes is way too smart for that! ha. wink

Neat about the objective lens and parallex adjust. So - you screw off the objective end cap. What's that end cap for? Obviously, there's something else that holds the lens in and holds gas pressure. Are there actual markings under there, etc.? I wonder about their 4 by 12 scopes. See them often for sale in Sportsman's Guide.

Might just go do a bit of shop shooting ... on a windy rainy night ... now that the shop's roof has had all this labor lavished upon it! thumbs up

Gary
December 02, 2009 11:36PM
The end cap screws against the objective lens as a lock nut. When you take off the end cap you'll find the ring that holds the objective lens is notched for a spanner or a reeaaallllyyyyy big screw driver, or in my case my finger nail that allows you to adjust the objective. It doesn't take much 1-2 rotations to get what I needed. You already know this with your scopes that are adjustable by turning the objective lens, the 100 yd and 30yd marks are not that far apart. Come to think of it, I adjust these scopes all the time without worrying about Nitrogen leak etc. I'm betting, a $100 scope, that it won't be a problem.

Kent
December 03, 2009 02:15PM
OK, now you've got me going. Are you asserting that the internal nitrogen pressure, against the rear of the objective, allows the lens to dislocate from it's seated position, and "follow" the lens locking ring in and out, while remaining sealed? What, on earth, ever made you think of trying that? Was it the same day you invented "teflon patched" slugs? idea more innocent smileys with beer

thumbs up

Gary
December 03, 2009 04:00PM
It wasn't the same day, but I was drinking the same beer!drinking smiley This is the first non-adjustable scope I've adjusted. My point is all my scopes with the adjustable objective just turn in and out on what seems to be the same threaded mount. Even if there are a couple of O-rings I'm not seeing, do you feel that those would maintain the N seal over this many years vs a lens sitting a a fine threaded greased mount being screwed out a turn or two?

I like the smilie hieroglyphics, can you interpret these? knuckleheadangry with "no" signwoodsmanconfused smiley Translate "Anesthesia is not as easy as it looks." , M. Jackson

Kent
December 03, 2009 08:20PM
Ah .... I think there must be something in the Salmon you and Sean have been smokin' ... confused

Now Kent, you can take apart any of your scopes you want, that's fine. thumbs up However; a "seat" and locking ring, would usually suggest a fixed position, fixed alignment, and backing off a locking ring, would usually produce a "loose" condition. I'm just learning from the master here. If the lens followed the ring outward, and the seal was maintained, then it means the O ring must have also followed the glass, and still found an outer surface to seal against. Good job if it stays. take a bow Interesting.

Old Doc Marino taught me a neat one once, as well. He'd purchased an older Leupold. It's objective was fixed at about a mile or something like that, IIRC. Well, having done a stint with lasers and optics, etc., he just took his objective lens cover, and drilled a pin hole in it. Leaving the cover on, the scope would then clearly focus to ten yards or less. Neat.

Want another one? Well, if you are like me, and can see like an eagle at distance, but can't focus us close without corrective lenses, try this. With your glasses off, close your thumb up against your forefinger, and create a very tiny hole you can see between the two (in the skin fold). Now, with your hand up against your eye, look thru that hole you created, and you will be able to read the most tiny print - without your glasses. Handy at night ... when checking med. flasks.

electrified

No - don't thank me ... just go forth ... enriched. whistling

haha.

Gary
December 03, 2009 10:23PM
Well I've got my best micro bit out and running my rechargeable drill as fast a it will go and I can't get it to bite the lens squarely in the center. It just keeps walking "down" the lens to the edge leaving a curly que scratch....Ohh the COVER not the lens right? I should pay closer attention to the details. So now I'm polishing my lens with 5F Stock polish and when I look at the Ballistic Bear he seems to be on the other side of a fun house mirror. Do you think Doc Marino would have any suggestions or should I give the Hubble people a call, you know they sweat the details after that 'ol metric vs SAE thingy with their lens.

Cool fix with the pin hole lens, Doc!

My lens is not loose, just popular!laughing again It is solidly held by the lock ring when it is screwed back on. Now if anyone is thinking of doing the same, doubtful, just remember this makes the 10-50yd targets crisp but the 100yd targets a little fuzzy. With this gun it is just the ticket as you can see the wiskers on the squirrel at 20 yds. Of course, you can always just return the lens to its prior position.

Let's not forget, the real reason for having an adjustable objective is to place the reticle in the same optical plane as the target. WHAT? If your reticle is not in the same plane then any movement of your eye in relation to the scope will move the apparent point of impact,crosshair, on the target and therefore the actual point of impact will not be at the crosshair. Try securing your rifle in a rest with the crosshair on the bull. Now without touching the rifle move your head up and down and watch what happens to the "apparent point of impact" if it moves in relation to the target they are not in the same plane. Now either change the parralax adjustment or move the target distance and note if there is a change with head movement. If the scope is setup correctly when the target is in focus it will be in the same plane as the reticle.

Boy, that was rich err... enriching,

Kent
December 04, 2009 12:01AM
Yeah ... Ah ... I had to hit the "home" button on the keyboard ... but ... there it was ... "Dealer's Choice" ... The Forum Shooting Competition. wink

So; is anyone shooting this with Kent, Jerry, and myself? We post targets tomorrow, ya know.

Had I been counting, I'd have noted that I responded to this thread 18 times. Kent ... 9 or 10 times.

It's more fun, for me, to see some regular discussion .. rather than just have ya all lay back and spring your targets. What are you guys shooting the targets with? What pellets? What scopes?

Part of this contest has been the sheer number of shots in a row. A fatigue sets in just as the targets are getting smaller and smaller.

What have you found?

Gary
December 04, 2009 12:06AM
You have to "Center Punch" the lens first silly! knucklehead

And, I told you those faux fur 100 yard targets were fuzzy before. ..... whistling

coffee
December 04, 2009 01:22AM
Trivia Question: No fair googleing it! What movie character is quoted " Aim small, miss small." or maybe it wasn't a movie after all.

The reason I ask, that is what I found when shooting the targets from largest to smallest. This dispite using the numbers inside the larger circles as an aim point. I did not shoot clean targets for each round but I took a pic before beginning the second round. The groups get tighter and tighter as the aim point gets smaller. What did yours do.

Kent
December 04, 2009 02:23AM
Generally, the smaller the target you aim for ... the closer you get to it. Therefore; (relatively speaking) ... the hits on the smaller targets are more accurate than the larger ones.

A pity you didn't use two targets. I just found a neat item of interest. I stacked my targets and held them up to the light ....

Tomorrow.

Gary
December 04, 2009 02:36AM
Yes, It's not that I thought it was a bad idea, I had already shot my targets when you posted. I'm glad I took the pics as it made scoring my second guns target easier.

Gary I'm sending your modified Vice Grip and the Nebula's power mod tubes to you. If you'll package the tubing with the butt when you send it back. Thx

Kent
December 04, 2009 03:31AM
I should have taken a picture between rounds but I didn't. I found that maintaining concentration got pretty tiring on the first pass so on the second pass I gave myself a break on the larger targets and didn't work so hard. I shot all 54 shots in one session though as I didn't want conditions like temperature or set-up to change causing a poor round on the second go.

I used the Maverick and ball. I set the gun for low power and it did pretty well! I thought I might shoot a second sheet with the P3 using Cans so it makes nice round holes. Sadly, it just won't stop raining.
December 04, 2009 03:04AM
I'll have two scores and targets to post. The first was with the Chaparral 25 as a carbine with Kodiaks. The second was with Kelli's Victory 32 as a pistol and "O" buck. So we now have confirmed two rifles and a pistol in the match this week. What are the rest of you packin'?

Kent

Trivia answer if you already have your guess: [www.entertonement.com]-
December 04, 2009 03:56AM
Hey Jerry, Surefire must be slap full of orders for even you to be shooting lowly ball!confused smiley I think it interesting that so far we have three guns shooting round ball (buckshot to be exact). Gary's calipers may be very important with these round nosed projectiles, thanks Gary! IIRC the 32 ball holes, including the oil marks, were smaller than the 25 Kodiak holes.

I'm looking at the clock and you right coast shooters will be able to post in a few minutes. Heck, I bet your tapping away at the keyboard right now.typing

Kent
December 04, 2009 02:10PM
I shot two complete sets of targets.

First time around, I used the Appaloosa 32 with buckshot. I also had to "hold off" with the scope (actually using the bottom curve of the scope sight picture and the vertical post of the crosshairs for the aim point). That worked ... but wasn't the best of all circumstances.

I fiddled with the gun, adjusted the scope to be on at 10 yards, and decided to shoot another set with Barnes slugs. I cast some slugs that are pretty close to waddcutters. You have them Kent ... 70.9 grain 4 ring slugs for Kelli's Victory. So - I shot the second two sheets with that set up.

With both sets of targets, I rested the front of the gun on a leather bag, and held the rear of the gun.

It's time now for the targets. I'd like to see some of the targets from the folks who haven't entered into the discussion yet. Are you out there?

Gary
December 04, 2009 06:33AM
lemme guess...Quigly down under?

And I'm guessing that the groups get smaller because you're getting better as you go. If you practiced with another target first, the group size should stay the same once you've reached your skill "plateau", right before fatigue starts becoming an issue.

Or, as seems to be the case with the bailout of the financial sector, I could be totally wrong. winking smiley
December 04, 2009 05:28PM
Yeah ... you do settle into a bench technique. However; fatigue sets in faster than you might imagine. 27 shots in a row is a good bit. 54 is alot. I'm sure that's why Kent set this up ... and I like it. I've always liked competitions where the steady, sustained performance is more important than the few "lucky shots".

I just posted a couple of index cards. 3 dots on each. Verified the zero ... and posted the competition targets.

Gary
December 04, 2009 03:51PM
Gary,
Next round I'm also going to use the slugs in the Victory. Should cut a sharper hole, more accurate?, we'll see.

Rotor,
My thought was also Quigley, I can picture Magnum drawling that out as he squeezes the trigger at the black hat dude galloping away at 400 yds. It's also something most of us who have been shooting for a while have heard here and there. Even applies to shotguning. Shoot at the whole pheasant and you'll be eating tail feathers, aim for the white ring and it's critter gumbo for Christmas!

I think it has to do with our "lazy" nature, An organism is design to just meet a standard, so if the standard is to just hit the BIG Target we have a internal standard that allows for an "acceptable" miss ratio. If we reset our standard to hit a SMALL Target the same "acceptable" miss ratio will have us hitting the BIG Target every time. Some people would dispute this theory of mine but be honest and see if you don't follow this trend. Now this is just the NORMAL. Those who fail to have an internal "acceptable" miss ratio, are doomed to a life of perfection and building of ....winking smiley

Applying a psychology minor on a daily basis and accepting of his own failure rate,
Kent
December 04, 2009 05:21PM
Oh sure ... kick the old guy the day before his "Senior Citizen" birthday! And, now that I am finally eligable for my senior discount at Burger King, I don't do fast food anymore. Story of my life.

"Doomed to building" ... you got it. thumbs up

Hey - common, YOU too are one of those guys that NOTICE that the brakes sound a bit .... "funny" ... or the tires are worn, and check them out. Life's a Roller Coaster. Some go thru life with their hands in the air screaming ... "Wheeeee.......ehhhh!!!!". Others are just on the "ride" because the kids wanted to go. And then, there are the "maintenance guys" ... that are always watching, and listening ... and trying to make sure the other two types (and themselves) don't get hurt.

Yeah ... the slugs are more accurate than the ball. However; the story isn't that clean ... cause the aim point for the ball was the bottom of the scope curvature. Still; with the centered scope, and the slugs, the stacked targets show far better groups.

So; I'm not seeing any targets. Is everybody waiting for Kent, Jerry, and Gary ... or, aren't there any other targets? I sure hope that's not the case.
Ya know ... it really doesn't take much to keep a bit of a spark going. Makes something I find myself thinking about, and even looking forward to. A few holes in some paper. Some company on a coffee break ... someplace where you won't get verbally beat up for trying to participate. But, the opposite is true too. Silence isn't golden ... it's just depressing, when you've gone to alot of effort to try to create some fun and entertainment.

One of the reasons I've tried to get some conversation going here, is that; you can LEARN how to shoot well ... if you discuss the process. If you'll never participate in anything that you can't win at, then .... then you get a culture much like we seem to have today. Where ... everybody gets a "participation trophy". Hey ... you don't see me whining about NOT getting a TROPHY at the Mississippi Shoot .... eye rolling smiley ... do ya??? google eyes I mean, heck, I shot the pants off those guys. For PITTTTY saake .... I even BUILT the guns they were shooting!! more confused AND ... I didn't get ONE STINKING little lousy TROPHY!!!! hot smiley But ... you see, grinning smiley I'm not upset. I still participated. I was there for the team ... smileys with beer Wouldn't think of being a drag on the whole thing ... just because I didn't get NOTHING@!!! drinking smiley So; common ... shoot a target or two. It'll make you a better person ... more innocent even if you don't win the STINKING shooter trophy. take a bow

GAry
December 04, 2009 10:36PM
Whoa! There's a trophy for this? Here I was, just enjoying the hobby with some friends and having something with an actual objective to make it more interesting, and now you tell me there's a trophy!!??

Just kidding folks! Seriously, I'm starting to wonder if airgunning is an actual hobby/passio/activity or just something to watch others do and gain internet expertise...

I'll get my target up after I go do some shopping.
December 04, 2009 10:52PM
It's 7pm here. I have to go to Lowes, myself. I'll check that target afterwards .....

Gary
December 05, 2009 04:46AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GARY
December 05, 2009 01:41PM
Kent!

You sly devil .... HOW did you know???!!

whistling

Thanks Buddy smileys with beer

Gary
December 07, 2009 05:14AM
Do we have a smiley that's dropping an anvil? Representing of course the dropping of "subtle" hintsmore innocent
December 07, 2009 02:44PM
Hey Rotor,

And ... you see how effective those brutally subtle hints are. Or the asking, explaining, fussing, whining, or begging. The place is "bullet proof" in a unique new way. more innocent

In order for this to be a warm, cozy pub for everybody to relax in smileys with beer .... a few of us have to chop the wood, feed the fire, and carry the ashes. Doesn't seem to bother anyone. Must figure we owe it.

Sure would be nice for someone else to lay a stick on the fire. Thanks for your posts Rotor. thumbs up

Gary
December 08, 2009 07:10AM
Now c'mon Gary...lets be realistic.

You actually have to plant the forest, thin the trees, fix the logging truck, sharpen the chainsaw, fell and season the timber, buck it up into rounds, split and stack the cordwood, fabricate your own stove, and gin up a new stovepipe with a damper. THEN...you get to start the fire so you can have some ashes to clean out later on. grinning smiley

I just show up from time to time to poke at the fire and hint at how nice it would be if you were to build ME a stove, since you have all that spare time on your hands.whistling
December 10, 2009 05:42PM
Guess what I saw. I was watching a sniper competition on TV, (because I don't have a new target to shoot at) and low and behold I saw a dot of light coming thru the front lens cover on one of their guns! Now they had already shown them covering their objectives with 100mph tape (duct tape) leaving a horizontal opening to hide lens flash, so I come to the conclusion that this must be "Doc's" pinhole lens available for immediate use. I think it's so neat because I probably never would have "seen" it had we not discussed it here. Makes you wonder what else we miss in our ignorance.

"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right." angry with "no" sign Thomas Paine

Spread knowledge, it is our greatest weapon,

Kent
December 10, 2009 06:30PM
Oh Gosh oh Golly!

You mean ... my life hasn't been a complete waste???? hahah. grinning smiley

That's neat.

I also noticed, years ago (on the Nautilus) ... that I could have the Peep sights mounted, right up in front of the scope objective .... and the thing was invisible. Wasn't in focus ... wasn't there. Odd.

Well, I'll have to go duct tape some scopes! cooler

Target ... right ....

Gary
December 11, 2009 08:32PM
I have a new game page made up. I'm not familiar with posting document pages for print.

OK ... let's try this.

Photobucket

Can you get it? Can you print it full page?

Gary
December 11, 2009 09:22PM
OK ... I've tried for waaaaaaaaaaay too long to scan and host this. Scanned it as a pic. Scaned it as a document. Bitmap ... PDF ... I can't get anything that I can move and/or print as a simple full page correctly.

Gary
December 12, 2009 12:42AM
Sent a pdf copy to my mail. Exported it from my mail as an html page. Put that html page into my website. Uploaded it. Linked to the page here. Hitting the link here just brings up a blank html page.

tried to load a scanned .jpg file of the page, into my website. uploaded that. It wouldn't take on the page either.

Sorry folks ... I'm out of ideas. I'm sure it's child's play to someone out there ... but I'm not hearing anything.

Gary
December 12, 2009 03:38AM
Gary, looks great! Where is your key for us to all size to. Give us a dimension that we can standardize to and we can do it. In short, what dimension is your first box? 1x1 or ?

Kent
January 03, 2010 07:40PM
Now that Jerry kicked the forum into hosting .pdf files, who's gonna deal a target next. It's easy to post now, so we can all download and print.

Hey - what happened to those Marauder Crossman guns out there? Didn't we have a flurry of discussion when some of ya'll bought them? They need exercising ya know. smiling bouncing smiley

Gary
January 03, 2010 11:58PM
What? I've hardly seen any of the last deal shot! Where are the shooters? whistling and the new smilies?
January 04, 2010 02:29PM
Jerry,

I've got one shot but not scanned yet. After I shot it I read the details in the rules and noticed that I hadn't adjusted for the flame. I'm going to post it just the same and shoot another with a different gun. This is a tough one! surrender

Kent
Target - Scan PDF ... Dealer's Choice #2
December 12, 2009 01:05PM
I finally found out how to post the target so you can retrieve and copy it. Sorry it took me so long.

Hope you enjoy the target. It's sort of similar to REAL targets iin the real world. There's no bull's eye on real target items. And, you often have to avoid an obstruction or overlook a distraction. That was my idea in designing this target. You shoot for the "negative space". Enjoy, and good luck! take a bow

Gary

http://www.glbarnes.com/scan0001.pdf

On the original, the top left box is just a shade over 1 5/16ths wide.

Thanks for the info. Jim ... I was trying to make it harder than it is. The key was linking to it (without) having it embedded into a page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2009 01:10PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Target - Scan PDF ... Dealer's Choice #2
December 12, 2009 03:48PM
thumbs up Looks good . . . I was able to get to it no problem, and printing at 100% seems to give me a correctly-sized target. PDF is in general more desirable than raw images like JPEGs for these sorts of things . . . more portable and generally easier to print more accurately on different platforms etc.

I just had to do the same thing for a guy in Texas the other day, except his PDFs were 700 MBs of Pratt & Whitney engine manuals we digitized. google eyes That took a little while to download . . .

-- Jim
December 12, 2009 04:56PM
Well, when we get to publishing the 1,000 yard targets, we'll have bigger files too! winking smiley

Soooo ... you printed the target ... and you have that fancy new Crossman all scoped and sighted in .... hummmmm whistling Dude! YOU are set up for a winter indoor basement coffee break! haha.

Thanks for the tip. I knew the hours of hair pulling were futile ... but I couldn't get any feedback ... and it was nagging me. I knew it just had to be something simple I wasn't realizing.

Gary
Anonymous User
December 12, 2009 11:50PM
Alright I understand everything except for the measuring part, I'm guessing that would be from the closet edge considering the boxes are not square. How about the rifle, is it benchrested, free handed( like a man shoots, hehehe) or rested on one point.
December 13, 2009 05:00AM
Joe,
Here's what I did. I rested only the forearm on a bag and held the butt. I called a miss any hole which the border line past thru the center of the bullet hole. I shot the first target with a 22 ca; Falcon FN12 in rifle format with 24X scope, sound supression.

Falcon 2b.jpg

The second target was shot with a Barnes Rendezvous 25 with 6X scope, shooting Kodiak pellets, same hold.

Rendezvous bc.jpg

I'll follow up with pics for both guns tomorrow.

The red X denotes misses. We still use RED for correction here as our self esteem is not so tender as to require PURPLE as in the public school system.

The larger the grind stone of failure the finer the flour for future success,

Kent
December 13, 2009 01:45PM
Well ... ah .... Kent ...

I can't help wishin' you'd swap scopes on those guns .....

whistling grinning smiley

Gary
December 13, 2009 04:05PM
Actually, to clarify the intended scoring system: I designed this game so that "caliber" was a disadvantage. It was my intention to have the "entire bullet" inside the lines. The "white areas" are deceptive. They look pretty large ... however; some of the areas of white are not large enough for full caliber holes. So; part of the game is to judge the area (within that white pattern) that is large enough to contain the full width of your caliber, and still not touch the shaded area or outside box line.

Now; on the previous game, the intended goal allowed you to "cut the line" so long as you took out a portion of the interior "white area". On that game, caliber was to your advantage.

This is the reason I mentioned and showed the calipers last time. You can always find the center of the hole you shot. However; various projectiles don't leave a clear indication of where the exterior of the shot extends to. Shoot a round nose projectile, and you get a ragged hole. Shoot a oiled ball, and get a ghost ring of where the oil darkened the exterior of the hole as the ball squeezed thru. Shoot a dry ball, and get a smaller exterior "smear", where the lead darkened the paper - but not so wide as oil would have left. Shoot on different paper, and have the ball push it aside more, or less, than with another paper. However; the center of the hole is always clear.

So; as the directions state, use the center of your bullet hole as the starting point. Then measure one half of your given caliber, to show where the edge of your projectile passed. On the previous target ... if that half of the projectile cut the line and took white paper inside ... you got the point. On this game, if the outside of your projectile is not totally free of the line ... you loose the point.

Last time caliber was an advantage. This time, it's been designed in as a problem. Makes it harder than it looks. smileys with beer

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2009 04:09PM by barnespneumatic.
December 14, 2009 01:52AM
Whoops, That grind stone just got a little larger, looks like I need to knock about 3 more off that 25 and that 30 is a 29!

That scope you want me to switch to is the one that we had on the Nebula. IRC that's the scope no one liked. It does fit the Falcon a lot better. The rings just weren't right for the Nebula and it made eye alignment difficult. I did do a little more objective lens adjusting on the Rendezvous. Even with it set right at 25 yds, at 10 yds you can still move the reticle around with just a little head movement.

Here's a new target with the Rendezvous and the Korean pellets sized to .246. These proved a little loose and didn't rifle the pellets well. That's been solved. Well I have to change the format from TiF.

Later guys,

Kent
December 14, 2009 02:36PM
Oh Great! So ... let me get this straight. You've got this scope that you've been fooling with the objective lens on. footinmouth And, at ten yards, the reticle moves around with the slightest head movement. whistling AND, the thing is only 6X ... google eyes And, you turn in your target shot with MY GUN ... that has more red Xs on it, than my 3rd grade math test ... excited

WHAT .... did I EVER do to YOU???? rolling happy smiley

Gary
December 16, 2009 01:14AM
So, I left some room for improvement. From what I see I have the top 2 scores on this target. whistling I also did a little hobby craft to get the Korean pellets closer to useful. Who knows maybe even good? Who can guess what this is?
PS 1.JPGPS 2.JPG

Now at the outset I let everyone know that I am not a big bench rest shooter. You can interpret that as, I lack consistent form. I am also getting to know this rifle and will find my/it's sweet spot with a little time at the bench. I wouldn't compare the Rendezvous with the Falcon as the recoil for the Falcon is nonexistant, so is the power. This allows for lots of inconsistancy in hold. This is also where a bench rifles wgt begins to be a factor in allowing some forgiveness in hold as it reduces the recoil. For those of you who have held the Rendezvous 25, you know how light a sporter it is. I could come up with a lot more excuses but I'd rather shoot some more and get rid of them. Besides this is where the hobby gets personal. Fitting the gun to you and finding what combo works best. Maybe even something you've modified to make it yours.

Kent
December 16, 2009 02:38PM
Oh, oh!!! I know what it is!!!

We're all in trouble now!!! wink

I'll let someone else guess.

Gee Kent .. I was only funnin' you for using your little jacked-up 6X scope ... whistling ... after I get all the grief for my optical choices ... winking smiley

coffee
December 16, 2009 02:52PM
And, see ... I told you ya needed a lathe. hahaha.

Did you use that John Deere advertizing knife? wink

Gary
December 16, 2009 11:06PM
I didn't use the John Deere steel as the blade was not the right size, so I used some AL oxide impregnated paper to smoth the transition between bits and to finalize the last .001 I think it will do the trick. It's even more convienient than a compound finger eater.knucklehead

For dimensional reasons the 24x scope doesn't fit correctly for this gun. I'll get the scope to work far past my potential. Just need some more bench time.

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2009 09:55PM by Cajun Justice.
December 16, 2009 11:17PM
Yeah - I know. I'm just pulling your chain. A good shot, like yourself, is a terrible thing to waste though. laughing again

Yeah - my finger healed up fine. Just a bit of an odd feeling there. Finger print returning and all. See ... thumbs up

winking smiley

Gary
Anonymous User
December 13, 2009 07:30AM
Gotcha, I'll try to shoot a target and see how it turns out using a tuned RWS 34 break barrel rifle. Target distance is 10 yards, correct.
December 13, 2009 01:11PM
Yes, 10 yds Joe. This was a lot of fun! Both these guns are PCP I'll be interested to see if you are able to shoot rested with a springer. Remember to deal and we can all shoot "manly", standing, behind our back with a mirror, or whatever you decide.

Kent
Anonymous User
December 17, 2009 12:29AM
Well here is my target I scored it as a 26 but according to Gary's directions it could have been a 27. On the 3rd line of targets I had the pellet fall out when I closed the breach, I didn't notice it until I dry fired the gun. I missed the next couple of shots until I re-zeroed, those dry fires are nasty on a springer. I shot this using a RWS Panther 34 with a Macarri Spring kit and seal that I installed. It is shooting the 14.3 grain CP pellets at 725 fps.
Anyway I feel pretty good about the whole thing, I shot standing up rested against the porch post.

December 17, 2009 12:37AM
Nice shooting guys! My target lays here awaiting my getting home before dark and it not raining if I do...
December 17, 2009 02:35AM
Nice shooting Joe! That's the first springer in the comp. Hey you springers out there, Joe just set the mark for the rest of us. I may have to pick up my RX 1 and embarass myself. Joe it shows you have spent some time with your RWS. smileys with beer Good to have you shooting with us.

Kent
Anonymous User
December 17, 2009 04:07AM
Thanks Kent, and Jerry. It was fun shooting that target, Gary did a good job with it, hard but not impossible. Kent I think you should break out that RX1, I'm sure you would do fiine with it. I do shoot this gun quite a bit, it is my small game hunter. It shoots extremely consistant with the Macarri Kit and seal, and is way more accurate than I am.
December 17, 2009 02:14PM
Nice target Joe,

Good job. thumbs up

I'm glad you shot the target.

Thanks for the post.

Gary
December 17, 2009 09:34PM
I'm almost done with my pellet trap...and I'm only 2 targets behind !!!
December 17, 2009 10:39PM
Good man. That's the stuff! thumbs up Stiff upper lip - what!

Gary
December 19, 2009 09:33PM
The snow slowed down long enough to shoot a target. I was on the phone with Gary and shooting as fast as I could to get all the shots in before dark. Came out well I'd say! smiling smiley

WK2.jpg
December 21, 2009 12:36AM
Great Shooting Jerry! Thanks for playing. I know you've got lots to do with all that snow and Christmas right around the corner.smileys with beer

Those look small for the Woodsman, what were you shooting?

I feel like sliding something into the Chief Justice. I have a couple of barrel inserts that need to be "aired" out. Do you have any thoughts on the next target?

Stay warm,

Kent
December 21, 2009 10:48PM
Kent,

I waved off on shooting the Woodsman for this target. I ran out of time and when I got the chance to shoot, I needed to go full speed!

I do have an idea for another target but I have not had a chance to draw it up. Remember that old (very) show called "The Rifleman?" There was an episode where the young gunslinger set up 6 matches and then lit them with his blazing 6 gun. The hero rapidly fires his Winchester and blows them out... I have an idea on that theme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2009 09:30PM by Jerry.
December 22, 2009 07:13PM
So .. you're talking hunert yard stuff now ... yeah? wink

Gary
Dealer's Choice #3
December 22, 2009 08:11PM
OK boys, let's see how this works! I've drawn up a target that is unlikely to allow any perfect scores. As with the rest of the dealers choice targets, this is to be shot at 10 yards (Gary, you can take the war wagon out for the 100 yard try tongue sticking out smiley).

Cowboy target pdf.pdf

BTW, the target prints correct for me at 100% scaling. The "2" ring is 1/2" and the "1" ring is 3/4" if you need to adjust your printer.

Enjoy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2009 08:14PM by Jerry.
Re: Dealer's Choice #3
December 22, 2009 09:44PM
In case opening a .pdf file is a problem, the target looks like this:

Cowboy target pdf.jpg
December 23, 2009 02:23AM
Hey - Chirp Chirp Jerry! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Great work. Fun looking target. I'll get my sling shot out and try it.

I appreciate all the work you went to to think it up, and design it out. I have to work with a pencil ... looks like you've got your computer trained to draw what you think. Good job!

thumbs up smileys with beer

Gary
December 23, 2009 08:03PM
Yeah, the computer always does exactly what I want it to! whistling I'm actually happy that I got to use PowerPoint for something besides work!
December 23, 2009 04:32AM
I'll get printing and shooting right away. Thanks Jerry!

Speaking of shooting matches, did anyone see Steven Segal shoot the match heads off with his pistol. It's on a new show called Lawman. I thought it was going to be a washed out actor following some cops around. Instead Segal has been a Jefferson Parish deputy for 20 yrs and actually does walk the walk.

Kent
December 23, 2009 03:10PM
Haven't seen that yet, maybe I can catch a re-run. Good luck!
December 23, 2009 03:23PM
I saw a pre-view. I was shocked that he didn't look the same as when he saved that ship from terrorists ... more confused Must be the make-up ...

So ... you're saying he already shot Jerry's target???

Gary
December 24, 2009 02:33AM
Hey Kent,

I just watched an episode of Steven Segal's show. I liked it. He seemed genuine. Portrayed a fine attitude. Good job.

Gary
Dealer's Choice #3
December 23, 2009 08:12PM
OK boys, I just had Chris set up the target in the snow at the end of the tape measure (since my reference is obscured). I'm pretty pleased with this target!

I had to do some maintenance on the Monsoon (.22) and that made it a natural choice for this target. That and the fact that it gets lots of shots off one fill, is quiet and as a semi-auto I could get the target shot without having the door wide open for very long! It didn't take very long to get sighted in despite having the "gen5" Leapers that has those crappy turrets.

tgt.jpg

The shot at the top left actually just nicks the gray part of the match above the line. Looks like you boys are shooting for a tie! Get to it!
December 24, 2009 03:50AM
Good shooting Jerry! Sorry you had to rush and couldn't enjoy the fine target you produced.crying

Gary, Seagal does look genuine. What cinches it for me, is his fellow officers seem to appreciate his participation. He takes the lead on getting the bad guys faces in the dirt. Opps, alleged bad guys.

I've got to try this target with a pistol, just like the big guy. Do you think Julio will mind it I start screwing with his objective on the Hoss? Oh well, it will be a lot easier to pull the butt off the Chaparral.

Kent
December 24, 2009 02:21PM
Hi Kent,

Yeah ... I watched a couple of more episodes ... must have been a marathon. And, I thought the same thing. He actually seemed humble each time he was recognized. Gave alot of respect to his fellow folks. And, was helping out the people still cleaning up after Katrina. Ya never know - but it seemed genuine.

Hey ... use the 45/25 choke attachment on the Hoss. wink Then you can just shoot Kodiaks. haha.

Gary
December 26, 2009 04:50PM
Ok, I guess I am still a target behind!!

I shot Gary's "optical illusion" target today....and scored a 30!!

Of course, I was shooting a .22 indoors, which does allow for a little more leeway than the bigger calibers!!

will take a picture of the target later on today
December 26, 2009 05:57PM
Well - there ya go ... we got a BIG WINNER!!!!! What color teddy bear do you want Sonny?? wink

Good for you.

I might have the ability to make holes in paper after while. I stuck a 25 barrel on that ball reservoir gun. And now ... I can't find the fill probe! hahah. Hid it again, I guess. We'll see.

Thanks.

Gary
December 27, 2009 02:13AM
I'll have to take a picture tomorrow - just got back from seeing Sherlock Holmes with my wife.

I loved the stories growing up, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the movie 0 it was better than I thought, if not really "true" to some of the Holmes lore.

Oh, I shot the "matches" target today as well - that was tougher for me - score 54 (also with a .22 - now here's where a bigger caliber would HELP!)
December 27, 2009 12:24PM
Hi Joebill,

I wondered about that movie. Haven't gone to a theater in a decade. I read all the Conan Doyle stories ... enjoyed the Jeremy Bret version of Holmes on PBS. I've seen a couple of real bummer versions where they tried to force the character into one current social battle or another.

Well, another target shot! Be still my heart!!! hahah. I tried to duct tape a gun together to shoot a target ... didn't go too well. Might have to buy one ....

GAry
Winter 09/10 Game Targets (and discussion) Posted Here shooter with bench rifle
December 05, 2009 01:26AM
I thought, perhaps; it might be nice to have a clean slate for the targets to be posted. That way, we won't be chasing back thru all the previous posts all of the time. If you don't like this format, let me know.

Today is 12-4-09. Time to start posting the first "Dealer's Choice" game targets. Hope you enjoy following along. And, please join us in the shooting games this winter! cooler

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2009 02:05AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Winter 09/10 Game Targets (and discussion) Posted Here
December 05, 2009 01:54AM
I shot the game twice. I used my 32 Barnes Appaloosa. It's a 32 caliber carbine. The first round, I attached a Burris Signature 8 by 32 (which I'd nearly forgotten I had) in a case in the shop. Years ago, I'd thought it was damaged, and stored it. However; it did very well for me. The first mount, it wouldn't adjust for elevation at 10 yards. I found that the intersection of the vertical crosshairs post, and the very bottom of the curve of the scope, was just on at 32X. I shot the first game that way ... with 32 buckshot. However; that was a screwy way to aim ... and surely left room for error.

32Appal_buckshot1_27.jpg

32Appal_buckshot28_54.jpg

Total Score: 54

I decided to fiddle with the scope, and shimmed the mount. I also swapped out the front barrel clamp of the gun. In that way, I could put the crosshairs "on" at 10 yards. Since the 32 buckshot make a very small ragged hole, I used a dial caliper (set at half of my caliber ... .320" divided by 2 = .160") .... and checked the worst shot. The edge of caliber was well inside the white on the second 1.7 cm circle). However; it didn't make a pretty target. I decided that, since I could now adjust the scope properly; I'd cast some of my 70.9 grain WC slugs. I shot the second set of targets with the same gun, same scope, same set-up, but with these Wadcutters - and now with the scope crosshairs properly on target.

32Appal_BarnesWC1_27.jpg

32Appal_BarnesWC28_54.jpg

Total Score: 54

Fun game. Hope to see lots more targets!

take a bow

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2009 02:02AM by barnespneumatic.
December 05, 2009 01:56AM
Kent,

Regarding our discussion of last night (about how shooting smaller targets promotes smaller groups). When I "stack" the two WC targets, and hold them up to the light .... 20 of the 27 sets of holes overlap (show light through the overlapped targets through the holes).

Gary
December 05, 2009 02:37AM
As promised here are my targets for the first deal. With this first round I used the Chaparral 25 with Kodiak pellets. For convience I line fed it from the regulator at 2600 psi. Here are the first 27 shots. I used the printed numbers on the larger circles for an aim point.
Chap 1st shot Nov27.JPG

This is the second shot with this gun.

Chap 2.JPG

Here is the Chap with final Target which scored a 54.

Chap and Target.JPG

For my second gun I used Kelli's Victory 32 in it's pistol format. This time 0 buck was used. Here is the first round.

Vic 1st shot.JPG

The second shot shows several doubles. I scored this a 50

Vic 2nd shot.JPG

Here is the Vic 32 as a pistol. Gary will note the offiical bench bag filled with about $30 of shot. It quickly got too hard and had to be fluffed for accuracy.

Vic and target nov27.JPG

Ok, Let's see yours,

Kent
Re: Winter 09/10 Game Targets (and discussion) Posted Here shooter with bench rifle
December 05, 2009 03:12AM
Here you go.

tgt.jpg

I almost blew it on the 2.0 ring but managed to sneak by. Looks like we need a tougher game! wink Of course if anybody deals offhand, I'll just have to find someone to shoot for me!
Re: Winter 09/10 Game Targets (and discussion) Posted Here shooter with bench rifle
December 05, 2009 02:15PM
Great shooting Guys! With this setup I figured everybody would get a chance to put some in the scoring ring. I also thought it would give the shooters a chance to refine their technique before the most challenging shots.

Jerry, your top row 20 shots would all be touching, but you wouldn't want to throw the "flyers" from row 4 in there and mess it up. Can't tell from this if those are first or second round shots or both? Looks like we all picked the numbers on the larger circles as an aim point, great minds!

I on the other hand blew my last shots on the small targets big time. Can you say CHOKE! surrender

BTW, Jerry do you have a card in your camera, what size?

Kent
December 06, 2009 01:26AM
Kent,

Those row 4 shots weren't flyers, just me trying to relax. I'll never do that again!

I do have a card in the camera, the built in storage won't hold those videos. I'm using a 16GB high speed card. I have yet to fill it but I do delete the videos that don't come out rather than leaving them for later.
December 06, 2009 01:00PM
Hey Guys ... seems we managed to shut down the entire website. Not a peep from anyone. No targets. No comments. Not even a tag onto Kent's Happy Birthday wish.

I think we should go back to the cooking show. That was roaring along pretty good! rolling happy smiley

Hey ... Kelly surprised me with a 55th Birthday Party yesterday! What a nice surprise. We had a houseful of folks who braved the snow, and surprised me. Jerry even drove up 2 1/2 hours to attend. I really appreciated it. Great day. Kelly had sold me on the idea that we were having a party to celebrate our Son's USAF promotion. It was a complex scheme, which supposedly had "his wife" hide "his" keys ... so I needed to go rescue him. Long story ... but they got me out of the house driving around for an hour, while everybody arrived. hahahaha. Great time.

thumbs up

Gary
December 06, 2009 08:29PM
So that's where you guy were! I thought you left the country.laughing again

Thanks Jerry for the info, did you guess why I might ask, ssshhhh...it's a secret.smiling smiley

We, meaning the 3 participants, need to post this weeks deal. If anyone else wants to join in latter they can pull up a chair anytime. So which one of you is next? Or did you already post it somewhere?.

Just waiting for one of you to say....DRAW!!!

Gary, with Kelly being that tricky, I now know why you work from home. If she had 8 hours to plan something, you might return home to an empty lot! surprised

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2009 08:33PM by Cajun Justice.
December 07, 2009 03:51PM
OK ... give me today, and I'll cook up some next round contest.

Seems my temporary custody of an Appaloosa has ended. It's headed out to a ledger customer.

I might have to come up with a contest where we use blow pipes. Hummm ... that could work. whistling

Gary
December 07, 2009 05:19AM
I'm still interested in what's going on. Of course, it's going to be hard to maintain that interest level in the next couple days, on account of us leaving for Maui for a week. That might just distract me a bit, for some reason. whistling

Gotta go make some home-brew vitamin D, you know.
December 07, 2009 01:53PM
MAUI!!!!

NOW who's busted? whistling

more innocent "Oh ... I just LOVE the months of darkness and 50 below zero ...." hahaha. rolling happy smiley

Hope you have a great time. Enjoy a sunset for me! thumbs up

Gary
December 07, 2009 03:23PM
MAUI !

WOWIE!

I've been there a few times and it is awesome - especially during the winter here!!!

Happy Birthday Gary - I thought you weren't counting anymore..... more innocent

I am delinquent in shooting my target, but I will hopefully get to it this week - have to get a pellet trap going !
December 07, 2009 03:38PM
Rotor, have a great time, don't fall into any Volcanoes! Be planning your deal so when you get back you can pull up a chair.

Joe Bill, Stuff some electrical putty into the bottom of an electrical box and you're good to go. That assumes you can keep the rounds inside the 12x12 box. Shouldn't be a problem for you. You can then use the same putty to make some animals for the spring when you can get outside. Let's see those targets!

KEnt
December 07, 2009 03:46PM
Kent,

Hey - don't go too soft on JoeBill. He's got a BARN on his place there. Unless it's one of those 8 by 8 "Barn Kits" from Lowes ... more innocent ... I suspect he's got ten yards inside. wink And, he made the round for duct seal about six months ago. Oh ... we're watching him like a HAWK!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Gary
December 08, 2009 01:06AM
Dang.....you guys don't forget much!

yup - got a barn, not heated though, and it's pretty cold here now!

Have a limited amount of Duct Seal, as my local HD ran out and I never got around to finding more online.

"Best" volcanos are on the Big Island, Maui has Haleakala which is (hopefully) dormant, but has EXCELLENT sunrises !
December 08, 2009 01:33AM
Well, I don't want you to freeze. ;?)

Hey - you remember the Hawaian Volc. referred to in the movie "Finding Nemo?" haha. Clever but disgusting. However; I can never get it out of my mind when Hawaii is mentioned.

OK ... enjoy Christmas. I don't want you to miss it driving around to Home Depots and then freezing in the cold barn. You're off the hook.

take a bow

Gary
December 08, 2009 07:23AM
Yes, I'll admit that it's a dramatic change from our normal wintertime routine...but I'm willing to adapt.smiling smiley

Actually, here in the southeast panhandle we have a pretty mild winter by Alaska standards. We've got AT LEAST 20 minutes more daylight at the solstice than they do in Anchorage; heck, that's almost up to 6 hours a day. It hardly ever gets into the negatives temperature-wise, and when it does it's usually for well less than a month. Often, in early winter it stops snowing and just rains instead. Not much good for the cross-country ski crowd, but as the locals say "you don't have to shovel rain".grinning smiley
December 08, 2009 08:07PM
Just so you know, I'm not making (too many) excuses -hehe

I WILL shoot the target, probably in my basement, but it may be a week or so and you may all have moved on !

Besides, it's not like I can beat a 54.....shooter with bench rifle
December 08, 2009 10:25PM
Well, I suspected you have 10 yards in your guest bathroom ... winking smiley... and we've all SEEN that fancy blue stock on your small bore gun. I was just "trying" to be nice. (I practice once in awhile ... more innocent ... hahha.

Gary
December 08, 2009 11:17PM
I appreciate the effort!!!!!!
December 09, 2009 02:42AM
Just so ya know....

since my local big-boxes are out of duct seal, I ordered 20 more pounds online, so that will hopefully be here by the weekend or early next week !!!
December 09, 2009 01:47PM
Well Joebill ... AND ... the added benefit is that, by doing that, you probably "created or saved" at least fifty jobs! Good Green! thumbs up smileys with beer

OK ... the targets will be comin' in now!! Yippie!!! wink

Gary
January 07, 2010 09:28PM
Shot 'yer target today Jerry.

Used the ball reservoir gun. That ball on the bottom doesn't make for the best "bench" gun. Especially since I had the fill line just running thru a hole in the table. But, or course, if I moved anything and the fill line touched the side of the hole ... it altered the recoil pattern. So, I decided to just run it off the ball. Plenty of air ... just wasn't thinking about it before.

Anyway ... it was better, but the 4X scope mounted at twice it's eye relief isn't ideal. whistling

Good target, if you have big glass.

Ball Reservoir Gun in 25 001.JPG

Gary
January 08, 2010 04:26AM
Good shooting Gary. That set-up certainly isn't the best for this kind of shooting. The right half of the target is just perfect though!

Yeah, I made this target just to force you to buy a serious scope! more innocent Now That would look great over a ball reservoir. google eyes
January 08, 2010 01:46PM
Yes, something was effecting me when on the left side of the target. The half white, half darkness of the bullet trap didn't allow me to center the scope well. For some reason, the right side was better, even though it had the same disadvantage on the opposite side of the scope.

Good target for atom smashers!

Haven't seen the next "deal" yet. Wonder what's coming.

To the rest of the world ... you're missing all the fun ya know. welcome
Gary
January 08, 2010 08:55PM
Gary

that is very good with that set-up! The right side really IS dead on!

I thought I took a picture of my target...but I guess I didn't !

I subsequently shot it up some more with a .177 pistol, so a picture now won't help much shooter with bench rifle

Anyway, I scored a 54: my bottom row was perfect - 30
top row scored 5,2,5,5,2,5

using 9x scope with a "normal" mount - haha

I think this was a tough target, and one where larger caliber (i used .22) would HELP one, rather than hurt due to the scoring rules
January 08, 2010 10:05PM
Hmmmm... no picture. whistling I guess we're going to have to make up a checklist for you. Or, for you medical types, a pre-op procedure!
January 11, 2010 09:15PM
So where are all the shooters at? (need a smilie of a guy searching with a flashlight...)
January 12, 2010 12:04AM
a-Smilies 002.jpg

Here ya go Jerry! Best we can do ...

Gary
January 13, 2010 11:40PM
January 13, 2010 11:46PM
Better late than never.hourglass Well not exactly. If you'll notice the date this was shot when it was still warm here, Christmas eve...and then I read the small print at the bottom and realized how poor this effort was. self-hammer I thought it was a decent attempt but only the top half of the center ring really counts. Cut me some slack though, I shot it as a pistol.
Match shoot.pdf

Jerry this is a tough target, weeds out the wanabes, like me.surrender

Kent

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
January 13, 2010 11:56PM
Some guys...you tell them to use the most stable bench etc. and they whip out a pistol! not lookin' good

We seem to be short a dealer around here. Short on shooters too. I guess I might have to find some bishops and shoot this target again if the weather holds.
January 14, 2010 12:32AM
Great - now I have to convert chainsaw the ball reservoir rifle combo to a pistol!

(Jerry - I actually found a use for the chainsaw smilie.... hahah).

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2010 12:33AM by barnespneumatic.
January 14, 2010 12:34AM
Second mouse ... love it. smileys with beer
January 16, 2010 07:59AM
A couple houses ago I ended up ripping out the crappy tile floor on a poorly built remodel, the usual "fast and sloppy" work you see done on a lot of houses. As a result we had the house open to the crawl space for a week or so, and after the first couple of days we started finding little "presents" in the kitchen. The mice had discovered that they liked the food better upstairs, and we'd just made their commute much easier.

Long story short, it turns out that if the mice are dumb enough, it's more like the sixth or seventh mouse that gets the cheese. cool smiley
January 23, 2010 02:46PM
Hi Shooters,

Just a quick post to clear up the sticks description and some targets.
Kyle with Kelli's Victory 32.Kyle Vic.jpg
Top of the fancy shooting sticksTop.jpg
Bases of the sticks. Had a little epoxy I added to the studs but not necc.bases.jpg
This is actually the second round with the sticks. Both rounds shot with 72gn slugs from Surefire casting, thanks guys!Sticks.jpg

Here's off hand. Not bad, scope was maxed out at 16x shooting one mildot above crosshair at 10 ydsUnsupprort.jpg

See ya,
Kent
January 23, 2010 03:05PM
Hi Kent,

Thanks for the post.

Hey - I was thinking ... you need to add Kyle and Miss Emily, perhaps Amanda into our target shooting games. I know we'd see some competition. And ... oh ... don't you have a wife who shoots too? whistling haha. I know, I know ... she's waiting for her 45 ... winking smiley
January 23, 2010 03:17PM
Thought I'd also post the next target for shooting here.

[www.glbarnes.com]

Hope some more of you join us. It's even more fun to shoot airguns, than to read about other people shooting airguns. scholar

Gary
January 26, 2010 06:32PM
I merged three topics that were essentially the same thing.

We were getting too many "stickies" at the top of the page, before the discussion threads started.

Gary
January 30, 2014 10:48PM
Back in '09 we didn't curl up and sleep all winter!
January 31, 2014 12:23AM
Hi Jerry,

Yeah. There's a key there that I just can't find. Imagine a magazine called "Sky Dive" for those who never do. There's "Golfing Today" for those without clubs . "SAIL" for those who will not leave the pier. .

Boy - it's gonna cost me a fortune to send back all these guns I went and collected before my move ... whistling. laughing
February 06, 2014 04:22AM
Hi Guys,
Should we try this contest again? I'll be a Huckleberry. I still have a gun around here somewhere. We could start a new round of targets when Gary gets to BPS.

Kent
February 06, 2014 09:53PM
I'm in
Sal
February 07, 2014 12:55AM
I'm in!
Maybe a new thread or a cleaned up thread so it doesn't take so long to load up?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2014 02:09AM by Sal.
February 07, 2014 02:14AM
Great! we've got three shooters now and Gary made it home.
Let's start the new thread.

Kent
February 07, 2014 03:23PM
Yeah this thread is maddening to load. Sorry. If an admin closed it (or my Fumbly fingers did on my phone .... I mistakenly reopened it.). Sorry if one of you guys were helping and I botched it.

I will reclose this thread for comment now. We will use Kent's new thread. Already printed my target!

Thanks guys. Will be fun. All welcome. Run what ya brung!

Gary
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021