Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: OK Guys .... it's cold as blazes

OK Guys .... it's cold as blazes
January 05, 2010 10:33PM
here in Maryland. It's the sort of weather where it's fun to hole up in the office with a cuppa coffee. BUT ... there has to be something to read and discus, or it's a "no stay" sort of activity.

Anybody found that they own an airgun yet? One to show? One to discuss? One to shoot? There's targets up at the top of the page.

I set up to shoot Jerry's match stick target this am. However; there's some intermittent factor in my rig. Yeah - I know ... hard to believe. That fine 4X turkey scope on the monopod with the restricted lens ... what could go wrong? I'll check later.

Gary
January 06, 2010 12:03AM
Hmmm . . . I've been stuck in the *&$^%$ office for about a week straight! Wonder if my new landlord would mind if I set up a trap . . . I bet I can get 10 yards shooting through both rooms . . . idea

-- Jim
January 06, 2010 01:08AM
Ya see Jim, now ... right there ... ya have to get out of that. "Asking" is a surefire way to get turned down. more innocent

rolling happy smiley

Gary

Just watch that new scanner. I'd shoot in the opposite direction. thumbs up
January 06, 2010 04:37AM
Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. wink
January 06, 2010 05:18AM
Gary,

It's as cold as I can ever remember down here in Miami. It's nothing like the cold weather you guys get but pretty severe by our standards,
we're all hunkered down and that's saying a lot for us.

I don't mind, it's a nice change and it made for a nice Christmas season.

Lon
Anonymous User
January 06, 2010 06:36AM
It's been cold here in NC too. Low teens at night and low to mid 30's in the day. The wind has been the real beast, I can stand the cold but those 15 to 20 mph winds are brutal when the temp gets down.
January 06, 2010 03:30PM
You're right ... it's the endless wind that has really frozen us to the bone up here. I get the shop nice and warm (about 9pm right before I close up for the day). more confused

Gary
January 07, 2010 10:43AM
sounds to me gary like you should be working nights ,,,, lol , over here in northern ireland weve the coldest snap weve had in thirty years , mind you , that translates into minus ten at night and about plus 5 at the peak of the day , not cold by some standards , but its grim by ours , we have a high humididty ,,, even in the summer , hence all those famous forty shades of green.
on the plus side , my garden looks just as neat and tidy as everyone elses when it snows.
January 07, 2010 04:10PM
ah, yes, thank God for global warming......more innocent

oops, I mean "climate change"

have ya noticed how this is now the preferred term of the Al Gore crowd.....since it's really hard to convince folks things are getting warmer while they are freezing!!!

pretty nasty where I am here in New England - especially the wind!
January 09, 2010 06:26AM
Nah, all that climate change hooey is just a rumor.eye rolling smiley

We hit 40 degrees F. here today in SouthEast Alaska, the rock-hard ice on the roads from last week is running down the streets in torrents. It's slicker than frog snot out, so slippery that even the dog can't walk down the driveway.

Thank goodness for ice spikes and studded tires, or we couldn't leave the house.
January 09, 2010 06:42AM
Rotor,

I was hoping we would hear from you so the Maryland Chapter of The BRSC would see how good they have it.whistling

Lon
January 09, 2010 06:51AM
Are you kidding? By Alaska standards, the part I live in is practically a tropical destination. People move here from the midwest so that they can warm up in the winters. grinning smiley

Of course we DO get a bit of snow sometimes. We've gotten off easy this winter (so far), but in 06/07 they got 359 inches in town over the course of the winter. It was still melting in July when we came to visit.
January 12, 2010 05:55PM
While I LOVE snow, that's just silly. 30 feet of snow over the course of winter. I can't even begin to figure how to get around in that. Snow mobiles and snow shoes? maybe dogsleds or flying reindeer pulling a sleigh? I think even I'd get sick of it at that point.

Where you at by the way. My Grandmother has two places in Ketchikan, one in town, and the other about 1 1/2 hours out of town (by boat, the roads don't go that far) at the end of George inlet. My favorite place in the world! ( and I've been around, 4 continents, including boths sides of asia, does that count as two?). I make sure I go at least once every year. To visit my old grandmother, fishing doesn't play into that at all eye rolling smileyAt least it's my favorite when there aren't other people out there when I go. The solitude is fantastic.

Oh, and Neil, your neck of the woods is easily my second favorite place. And every time I go to visit in Alaska, there's more people, and the more people there are where I want to be alone, the more NZ creeps toward the top (plus, there's no rugby in Alaska).
January 12, 2010 11:54PM
Hellow fellow air gunners,I've been fallowing this site for some time now and finaly decided to partake and share some of my airgun hunting expearience's with you.I live in Central Otago New Zealand.Before getting into airguns I was a big fan of silenced bigbore rifles with which I took many different species of animals.The prospect of a similar power range from a rifle that opperated on compressed air realy appealed to me as a step forward from a firearm that requires reloading for and barrel cleaning even if you've only fired one shot.I've had several different calibres and have finally settled on a .30cal (308)for the kind of hunting that I do and the species which are common around these parts.I will post some pics in the hunting section shortly(as soon as I've worked out how to),untill then keep your tank full,Danny.
January 13, 2010 12:40AM
Welcome aboard Danny! We look forward to reading about your exploits! We always enjoy a good post around here!
January 13, 2010 02:04AM
Hello Danny,

Welcome to Rendezvous. We hope you enjoy it here.

Please share your rifles, and your shooting stories. We appreciate it.

skeet

You're just in time for the new smilies too! Whoppie!!

Gary
January 13, 2010 04:52AM
Danny,

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.coffee(New iconsboing)

Lon
January 14, 2010 02:11AM
Welcome Danny! Great to have another Kiwi on board. You and Neil can regale us with tales of Middle Earth. wink I've actually been to your beautiful country . . . my wife and I visited both islands for our honeymoon a little over five years ago. We hope to go back someday, and perhaps do the Milford Trek.

Hope you enjoy the forum . . .

-- Jim
January 13, 2010 12:40AM
Hi Danny, good to have you aboard and posting no less!

I've been MIA for a week or better. My shooting lane is dependent on opening my north facing overhead door. BUUURRRR!. Not to mention being distracted with the usual work etc. My new camera work has not been very fruitful as yet. Haven't had much light with the current weather situation. Hard freeze the last week, unusual for coastal Mississippi.

Stay warm,

Kent
January 13, 2010 12:49AM
Kent! You're back! Whew, I thought you might be hurt!

What's this whining about opening an overhead door? I have to open the door to my house! The target box is still frozen to the ground. We'll just not let any old excuse slide through here mister! Get crackin'
January 13, 2010 02:07AM
Kent, you're back! alien

Step into a worm hole on the back road there again?

It's been highly ugly up here too, weather wise. Hope it moderates soon. Actually, I hear Thursday is supposed to turn a corner for us.

Good to see ya ... Green bowing

Gary
January 14, 2010 01:43PM
Hi Kent,

Did you get the larger case camera (with the molded hand grip bulge) or the pocket camera that just came out?

Both seriously appeal to me. The larger camera takes excellent telephoto pics. The smaller one has many really "trick" features I've read about.

I even got clearance from "Kelly in Accounting" to get one ... but, decisions, decisions ...

Gary
January 15, 2010 09:32PM
Gary,
I got the larger model with the telephoto lens. The pocket camera does look trick and would be a lot more "available". Casio put a lot of programing into these. I've just scratched the surface and shot a 40 frames/sec self triggered tumbling steel series. Now I've got to get the pics up loaded in a suitable format and size. I haven't had the lighting to shoot the slow mo yet, maybe this weekend. I doubt you'd go wrong with either. Mine was purchased from NewEgg for $300 which I thought was pretty good. Make sure you get an "Ultra" memory card so the camera doesn't see a bottle neck. Also this really speeds computer viewing of the pics.

Kent
January 15, 2010 10:05PM
Hi Kent,

Thanks for the tips.

Gee - we have to thank Jerry and the early buyers for taking the arrows of nearly twice the price when they just came out.

Man - I can't decide. I love the quality of the telephoto ... and I wouldn't just chuck the small one in my pocket like my Sony anyway. I'm also more than a bit intimidated by the vast number of things it does, and I wonder if I could ever even make friends with it.

;?)

Gary
January 16, 2010 12:05AM
Well, you could make it up to this "early adopter" by buying the F1 version and trading with me! whistling I promise to provide telephone support for any question you might have. My name is Bob and I live in Islamabad... Leprechaun
January 13, 2010 04:42AM
I must be lost, those smilies aren't on any airgun site I know!!! Thanks Jimtake a bow

Sorry to be gone so long, got lots of posts to read just to catch up. The camera work is going slow. My computer is having issues with our home wireless network.

Kent

There are no excuses only reasons.
January 14, 2010 01:43AM
Hello Griffin, and welcome to the forum.

I'm in Haines, up towards the far north end of the Lynn Canal. Compared to Ketchikan it's pretty small, but it's been a nice place to live so far. And yes, that's a lot of snow over one season, though since it also rains here in the winter we'll often go through several batches of snow before winters finally over. Last week we were almost down to bare ground, but it's snowed about four feet in the last three days. It's supposed to warm up and start raining later this week so who knows how long this batch will last. Today, the snow berms along the main roads are about ten to fifteen feet tall, but it'll pack down eventually since it's still pretty fluffy so far. There's likely to be some flooding if it warms up too quickly, and then we'll be back to ice when it cools back down again.

As for myself, I'd prefer that we just went with either freezing rain OR heavy snow, but so far my wishes don't seem to be granted. Snowman
January 16, 2010 07:45AM
Just spent this afternoon shovelling snow...off of the garage roof. sad smiley After getting off easy for most of last year, we got about four feet all at once and then it warmed up to the mid-30s and started raining on it. eye rolling smiley That fluffy stuff soaks up rain like a sponge, you'd better already have everything shovelled that's gotta be cleared by the time it freezes up again, and it weighs a TON.

Ah well, only four months left of winter.
January 16, 2010 02:46PM
Sounds ... delightful!

Snowman
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021