Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 3 of Gary's greatest guns

3 of Gary's greatest guns
February 21, 2010 08:39AM
Guys, pick 3 of Gary's greatest guns, and explain your reasons for picking them. I know this is tough, since his guns are all awesome, however, a few of his guns do really stand out. I also know opinions are vary. This is just for fun.

let me go first,

1st place: The .87 Dragon. This gun is truly AWESOME in look and perfomance. Like its name, it has the look and power of a Dragon. it's also the most powerful of all Gary's bigbore. With 840 fpe, and shooting the 925 gr, .87 slug, I see death what ever it hits. The scales on the metal and the carvings of the wood is beyond words. I truly believe this is the most awesome and the baddest bigbore ever made, past or present by anyone in the World.

2nd place: The .62 Grizzly. This one is also an awesome looking gun and very powerful too, the style, and the carvings of the wood on this gun is amazing, and with the .62 at 700 fpe, it's a powerhouse like its namesake.

3rd place: The .58 Yukon ( with all the jewel and lamb tongue on it). this one is tough to pick, as the Alpine, the Rendezvous all could be in this 3rd place, however I really like the style of this .58 Yukon. It's also a powerhouse and has taken down a bison.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2010 08:52AM by peter-n.
February 21, 2010 12:45PM
I'm biased, but I'll say:

1) Alpine 45. Has to be seen in person to be believed -- the amount of detail is unreal. Of my four Barnes rifles, this would be the last one I'd ever sell. It's currently in the shop undergoing a reblue / refresh, but I hope to be able to take it back to the range soon.

2) Delta 45 Custom: People who haven't shot many big bore rifles don't realize that it can be a lot of work! The cocking lever on this rifle makes it way too easy to go through slugs by the hundreds while sitting at the comfort of the bench, tethered to a tank and reg. Jerry affectionately refers to this as the "Ladies Model." "festive" Superb accuracy and enough power for almost anything you'd ever want to do with an airgun -- 300-400+ fpe depending on choice of ammo.

3) This legacy Tundra 45 Magnum. I always liked the way it looked and it was the reason I got on the ledger in the first place.

However, I don't think we've seen Gary's greatest guns just yet. wink

-- Jim
February 21, 2010 05:04PM
Peter,

Man, only 3!

Jim's Alpine and Julio's Hoss haven't been shaken from the top of my list. Gary delivered a shrouded .45 to Keith's brother that I thought was my idea of a perfectly configured hunting gun but I like the pistol series that Jim just scored too.

And those are just the tops. I was always tickled about getting a whole gob of quiet shots off one fill from my Ranger and what a trigger!crying

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2010 05:05PM by Bigbore.
February 21, 2010 06:41PM
For readers not aware ... some human debris robbed Lon's place about a year ago, and made off with his Ranger Delta Magnum 32.

I hope some twist of fate makes it surface in the future.

Gary
February 22, 2010 02:27AM
I've tried not to dwell on it but if any good can come of it maybe your mention of my misfortune will encourage others to get out and shoot theirs as one never knows what fate may have in store for us.

Lon
February 21, 2010 07:56PM
Jim, I like all your guns, they are all gorgeous! The Alpine no doubt is awesome looking, I really like it!

I haven't seen any of these guns in person and has never shot one, I based my favorite on only the pictures and performances thru the internet, so certainly, you guys can judge it better than me.

Gary, I know you built the guns, and you love them all, but can you tell us which 3 are your most favorite? we all would like to hear it. You don't have to answer this if you don't want too.
February 21, 2010 10:32PM
Oh boy ... that's really hard. You know you're going to get an artistic answer artist nothing simple. haha.

It's the one that has been turning over in my mind, almost without me realizing it ... then .... Another idea! ... the curtain is pulled back, and there's this great idea I began to explore in my mind. I find that I have picked up pencil and paper, and I've begun to sketch it out. Never fast enough, get the main lines of the tubes in, the main features ... get to the good stuff! And, I'll stand there, for two hours ... drawing, refining, adding notations. Then, I go back and straighten and square any early light lines that went in less than perfect. As I square things, and errase the lighter first lines, I review the sketch. Make sure everything is to scale (or draw in small "clouds" with specific exploded interfaces of parts ... specific orders of proceedure, etc.). I decide if I have the tools to make the design. Can I make a small alteration, which won't effect the outcome, but would allow me to make it using my tools.

Then, do I have the materials? And ... that's about when I realize that it doesn't usually matter at the time ... because I have fifteen other things at the top of the list this week. But, I've captured the gun at that point. If I've finished the drawing, then I know it will work. Had I come to some unseen issue, I would not have finished the drawing. That doesn't happen much (if at all) anymore. It did earlier on. Now, it seems that my mind won't even bother me with the idea if it's not really well developed.

I know it sounds a bit melodramatic. However; I swear to God, every word is true. It's interesting to watch, for myself. I have no idea how to tell someone how to do this. However; I simply know that I'll find an engineering way around anything I need for the drawing. And, if I refine the drawing, and build it ... it will work as planned. I wish I had more time to do this, as the drawings add up - many never have seen the first pc. of steel cut. Some, I work on as therapy - over a long time - squirreling away parts toward the end.

However; that's the favorite gun. The new idea that I'm allowed to build. It always has some new features I know I will enjoy documenting. thumbs up

Of the finished guns that were departurers such as described above .... I'd note the Hoss pistol, Bisons, Aircanes, the Nautilus, Tundra/Prairie Class, Yukon guns, V-Twin guns, the Justice System, and the new Rendezvous designs (Grey Fox, Kyle, Grizzly, and Caribou) ... well, there are a few, aren't there? haha. And that's just a portion of them. Clearly, I should have a staff of builders, and allow myself to develop the models. But alas; it's no longer the 19th century, and I think the pension contracts of the employees would not leave any money for materials. So; I work alone. But ... I had this neat idea ... winking smiley

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2010 10:43PM by barnespneumatic.
February 21, 2010 11:20PM
With so many great models and unique designs, only the genius, artistic mind like you can come up with. I have always been respected and admired your great works Gary.
February 22, 2010 01:57AM
Hey, did you hear that? Gary LOVES Bisons! scared

-- Jim
February 21, 2010 08:56PM
Lon,

The Hoss pistol is a beautiful piece! I have a soft heart for powerful and gorgeous pcp pistols, and Gary's pistols have been making me drooling for years!

sorry to hear about your Ranger.
Anonymous User
February 22, 2010 04:51AM
My three picks are accrding to caliber.

Small bore- Chameleon
Medium Bore- Savanah
Big Bore- Yukon

Of course there are other guns that Gary has made that could just as easily fill those slots, the Bisons come to mind, the 58 caliber muzzle loader that Kent now owns is a great gun. The Appaloosa is also a great small bore.
February 22, 2010 07:03AM
My 3 would be,

1. .87 Dragon with a .58 caliber insert

2. .32 dV2 Ranger with all of the cool add ons

3. .58 Carnivore

This would be the ultimate air gun collection.
February 22, 2010 07:12AM
If you were to ask me (and you didsmiling smiley ), I'd say:

For big-bore, the Chief Justice. All of the horsepower, none of the frill. OK, well...some of the frill. more innocent

For pistols, the Hoss. There's nothing else like it out there at all. And it's pretty easy on the eyes.

For small bore, the Ranger XXV XL Deluxe. The one with all the gorgeous enamel work in green, with the FT stock. It's just TOO pretty."festive"
February 22, 2010 02:23PM
Thank you guys. I've made notes on your ledger pages ... and will expect the checks to start rolling in soon. hahah. laughing
February 22, 2010 02:41PM
I ran across some vintage pics. Thought some may enjoy seeing them again.

Included are some pics of Barnes Number One. Also the 25 Mag. Rotor mentioned. An early 45 pistol I really enjoyed. Myself, at the bench, working on the parts for the very first professional era Barnes #1. The Nebula 45 always gets a few comments. There are thousands of pics in the files. Hope you enjoy some of these.

_no1.jpeg

25magxlt.jpeg

_rangerfts.jpeg

nebula.jpeg

_gary1.jpeg

gary_bench.jpeg

sm.detailvickery.jpeg

Gotta run. Dr. appt. for the pre-op prior to scheduling the next injections. They take me off ibuprofen before this ... and my pounding head knucklehead is the result. But ... it's nice to take my mind off the hip/leg pain. So - "It's a good thing". "festive"

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2010 02:42PM by barnespneumatic.
February 22, 2010 08:49PM
Picking out the top 3 of Gary's guns are tough, it's like picking out the Miss Universe from the final contestants of a Beauty Pageant, it's that tough! they are all BEAUTIFUL!! he..he...
February 23, 2010 12:15PM
I haven't been around much lately--work has been busy--but since I'm here I MUST comment.
Even though I have a Victory pistol on the ledger, the Hoss is the absolute best pistol. Truley a work of art. artist
The shrouded 25 Appaloosa in stainless which I own is an awesomely silent plinker, and excellent for small game. When I get it and the 32 Ranger out to show friends, they are always amazed. Both are tack drivers at 50 yards. Sometimes they drool. wow
Of the ultimate big bores, the Chief Justice system stands out to me--versatile and amazing. If I was looking for a cannon, I would go for the Dragon. bad dude (What, no smiley of a cannon?)
February 23, 2010 12:21PM
I know ... we are dreadfully understocked in smilies ... whistling We must press on with what we have. More coffee

Glad the guns are pulling their weight. Thanks for the comment.

Gary
February 23, 2010 01:47PM
We'll here's my 2 cents. In no particular order.

As for a pistol, while there are aspects of the hoss .45 that i really like, I definitely prefer the overall style and lines of the heritage class, Something about it has rung true for me since I first saw a picture of it.

The next would probably be the southwest scout in .45. I'll be honest here, some of gary's designs are a little busy for my taste (no offense intended here at all Gary). I can appreciate the workmanship and design, but I'm a simple fella and I tend to like simple designs, and for me the southwest scout hits the nail on the head.

And the last would probably be one of the justice guns, either the field or the chief. I probably tend toward the field due to the whole simplicity thing, but if I remember right the chief has more power, and I can see the benefit of that.

I really like Gary's big smoothbore guns. The idea of being able to use either a large slug or a wad of shot really floats my boat. Same sort of reason I got a rifle chambered for .44 magnum, so that soon I can get a revolver chambered the same way and I only have to deal with one round.
February 23, 2010 04:37PM
Asking me to pick 3 favorite Barnes is like "Which child do I love the most" Yes, they do hear these things! I have a special place in my heart for each. But so I can add to this well developing post, here's a pic of some of those mentioned. This was from Kentucky at a gathering of Barnes Pistol shooters. In it you see, top to bottom. 45 cal Hoss, the fraternal triplet Victory 32s and Chaparral 25 cal. These are just some of my favorites.
1.jpg

Great post I'll try to find some more of the mentioned pieces.

Kent
February 23, 2010 04:59PM
Thanks for all the comments and pics on this thread. I've enjoyed it.

Someone should go pick up that Nitro. That's an absolute give away price. Why, in the name of Moses, it wasn't placed here, I can't imagine.

I occasionally hear from people that say they are thinking about selling. However; they never tell me what they want $$$$ for them. And, of course, it's not as if I don't have anything else going on. Also, I don't have a personal bucket of bucks to pick up everything someone wants to sell. Recently, my back/hip, along with the snow storms, and two dozen little emergency flashing red lights here, have occupied much of my time. But, it always bugs me when I see the perfect examples of what I've detailed over and over. If you post pics of your gun, if you shoot it, if you interact with the people that collect them and enjoy them ... THEN ... when you wish to sell them ... you have a ready audience. You have people familiar with your gun. You have people who have seen your targets for years. They know it's accurate. Heck, we've even put up a forum WITH a classified for you to use .... for FREE.

However; it never happens. We just hear that, yet another Barnes gun, has appeared at the most unlikely place to find a buyer for it. I've done all I can to explain it.

Gary
February 24, 2010 12:09AM
what Nitro are you talking about Gary? I might be going blind, but I didn't see one mentioned in THIS thread.
I gather that it is on "another" Classifieds?
February 24, 2010 12:26AM
Check out the classifieds here. There's a link (though why one would need one is a curiosity to me as well)
February 24, 2010 01:03AM
I figured everyone just auto checked the new "red" posts as they appear here, and would have thus; seen it. I guess, if you don't scroll down though, you can miss the classified section on our home page of forum choices. Ya have to fish around to find the new stuff. winking smiley

Gary
February 24, 2010 01:59AM
hehe

learn something new every day what was that
February 24, 2010 07:23AM
Everyone has a good taste, and as a group, pretty much similar in opinion. All the favorites are gorgeous and outstanding guns. look like The most favorites ones are the Dragon/ Chief Justice, Hoss, Alpine, Yukon, Bison, Carnivore, Rendezvous, Ranger and Victoria. I would be proud and extremely happy to own any of these guns from one of the greatest custom bigbore builder in the World!

Thinking back, 30 years ago when I was a kid, I was happy with my Crossman 760 with 5 fpe for for shooting and hunting, I would have never in a million year and guess that, one day a beautiful and extremely powerful airgun with 840 fpe, that is capable of taking down amost any biggame on earth is possible, The .87 Dragon. To me, that is truely amazing!! We have come a long way on airgun power. Our sport have evolved and advanced to this day because of great custom bigbore builders like Gary for paving the way of super powerful airguns. As the bigbore airgun enthusiasts, we all should be grateful for that! Thanks guys for the posts!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2010 10:25AM by peter-n.
February 24, 2010 01:53PM
Thank you Peter.

That's nice of you to say. I appreciate it.

Gary take a bow
February 25, 2010 01:30AM
As promised here are some of the guns suggested above. You'll see Chaparral with butt stock, Chief Justice, muzzleloading 58 XLT (since pic anodizing of white aluminum performed), Carnivore and Victory in carbine format.

1.jpg

This is a nice variety which handles 99% of what you may want in a airgun.
Chaparral 25 Pistol and butt stock, size adjustable so the youngest shooter can participate, super accurate buckshot or commercial pellets.
Chief Justice 87/7ga smoothbore, 45 and 32 cal rifled inserts, truly the Inspector Gadget of air guns, massive slug power, real 7ga shotgun, rifled inserts
Muzzleloader 58 XLT . Fast accurate light weight a blast to shoot with no cleanup of blackpowder residue.
Carnivore 58. Powerful bigbore hunter and bench shooter
Victory 32 Pistol and Carbine format, extra quiet shroud, cheap buckshot for plinking, slugs for all small game hunting.

Of course all of these have a unique and beautiful Barnes finish that gives loads of pride in ownership.

In case anyone asks all these are shooters' guns. They get out to play and share with others.

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2010 02:09AM by Cajun Justice.
February 25, 2010 02:17PM
Neat pic! Good to see them again. thumbs up

I know there's been a ton of lead thru those, and they've had many smiles appear over their cheek pcs. thru the years. grinning smiley

smileys with beer

Gary
February 25, 2010 03:37AM
Very impressive collection Ken, and well said on the discriptions.
Anonymous User
February 26, 2010 06:13AM
Nice Ken, good to see those again, I believe I have seen and shot most of them. All are excellent in every respect. The muzzle loader is as you say a joy to shoot. Light powerful and ridiculously easy to shoot off hand. The barrel just hangs out there like a masons line with a fishing weight in the middle. Dropped two deer with that gun, one for the camera and one for myself. The second deer was dropped on the third shot from fill and still put the midweight slug clean through a rib on the off side before being stopped just under the hide. Bullet channel was 15 to 18 inches in length and created massive damage. Range was around 35 yards, I have some very up close an personal pictures that are way to in your face to post unless some just have to see the damage these guns can do on deer size animals.
February 26, 2010 07:01AM
Joe, were the deer dropped on the spot? If you don't mind, can you post the pictures of the damage caused by the .58 slug. Thanks!
Anonymous User
February 26, 2010 08:07AM
Peter I may have spoken to soon, I thought I had the pics stored over on photobucket but I just went there and couldn't find them. I may have them on a jump drive and will look. I had a computer crash on me three or four months back they may have been on that.
Just in case let me say that in my 35 years of deer hunting I have never seen damage more impressive from a powder burner. While they did not drop on the spot, I would not have expected them to with the lung shots I took. They both traveled short distances before falling. I expect they both would have done the same if a powder burner had been used. I can't remember the exact weight of the slug but a .58 caliber roundball weighs in at 270gr. so the slug I was using was around 370 to 400gr. I'm sure Gary can tell you the exact weight as they were cast from his mold.
February 26, 2010 01:43PM
Hi Guys,

If I remember which slug Joe was using, it would have been 450 grains, 469 grains, or 675 grains. I believe I provided those three. I suspect he used the 469 grain the most. That's a good slug, and that's what Kent likes with the gun.

Regarding wound channel damage, I've seen that too. In fact, on my first boar hunt; the fella that butchered the beast for me remarked about that very thing. He was amazed. He said it looked like a high powered firearm had caused it. It was a shot from a 45 Tundra I'd taken hunting. Wasn't ideal to take a bench rifle and walk all day ... but it worked very well. The shot the guy was remarking on, was a diagonal shot from 75 yards. It had hit immediately behind the shoulder, passed clear thru the boar, and exited the far side ham. In fact ... to my dismay ... it ruined the meat of the entire ham.

The wound channel was about 3 inches in diameter all the way thru, and the meat was blood shocked - looked like grape jelly. Amazing. That was a 435 grain 45 caliber from a gun shooting about 400-450 fpe. I remember the sound of the slug hitting the boar. Sounded like you'd taken a big wide plank, and slapped the surface of a pond. A really loud smack.

Gary
February 27, 2010 02:58AM
That sounds very lethal, no wonder bigbores are so effective.
February 26, 2010 09:58PM
Hi Joe,

Here's a view of the 58 XLT muzzleloader you haven't seen. For those who may not know Joe was able to field test this gun in an unfinished form. I had received it as a Christmas gift from my wife, who with Gary's help, made it a total surprise. It was bought unfinished with the understanding that after a hunting season I would be able to choose an anodization color blend which Gary would recreate from his magic bag of tricks. I really like the combination of colors on the Woodsman that Gary had hunted with that year, and Jerry now owns. The process is as much science, as art and voodoo so any concerns from Jerry that this gun's coloring is an exact replica is unfounded, besides imitation is the highest form of flattery.
1.jpg 1.jpg

Kent
February 26, 2010 10:48PM
Rich looking pics Kent. Are you, perhaps, using my new camera (hopefully). wow

Gary
February 26, 2010 10:59PM
That looks incredible! I really the burled finished look of the metal. Very good taste.
February 27, 2010 12:21AM
Thanks, I agree Peter, Gary has an amazing eye for what works. Much like a great chef who only needs to know about your likes and dislikes then sets out a wonderful meal where every entree and wine complements the rest. These artists are few and far between. It's been a while since I've been able to sit back and let the chef wow me with such a meal.

Yes it is Gary. The camera has some pre-planned settings for different "subjects" this one was a macro setting for closeups. It has some amazing ones that were very helpful with low light settings, fast action, sunsets etc. It was very useful in the dark museums where flash photography was verboten or useless because of the distance to the subject. It gives you some neat results as below: This is from a fresco. No flash, dim inside lighting. I've called it The Face of Pain
1.jpg

Kent
February 27, 2010 12:42AM
I thought I was looking in a mirror there Kent! The complexion is correct ... but the horns were the give away. I don't have those. laughing again

Neat ... I know I'm really going to enjoy the camera. I've wanted it since I saw Jerry's. Been saving up my scope money. ;?)

Gary
February 27, 2010 05:11PM
sick

I really enjoy this thread. I envy you guys with one or more of GB's guns. Just from looking at ALL his photos of his workshop and guns and his videos, I personally think GB makes the best built, most accurate big bores out there. His craftsmanship is second to none. Seriously, his style is unique..YES....but his airgun making skills are extraordinary. Everybody else just makes a PLAIN big bore gun (nothing wrong with that, just saying).
February 27, 2010 10:53PM
Tofazfou, I have the same opinion regarding Gary's Bigbores. Sometimes, I think, by stating his works as the best out there, there's a risk of offending others( not intentional), but I've already thought it thru before I stated my opinion, that is just to state what you think and stand behind it if asked. Don't get me wrong, I've always admired and respected all the great bigbore builders, and I think they build all good guns, it's just some is better than others in quality, performance and looks my opinion. And that is just the fact.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2010 11:55PM by peter-n.
February 28, 2010 12:55AM
Yeah, some folks would get offended easily.

What cracks me up is the folks that HEAR about airguns from other people and then they get on the forum and say, "SUCH AND SUCH MAKES THE BEST AIRGUN BAR NONE". And i'm like, "DO YOU HAVE ONE". No, they just HEAR that the guns are good.

Thats exactly why i like what GB does, he has a whole website dedicated to showing his work. And to me, that's what the internet is all about. If you build it......SHOW IT and actually show people what i does and what it can do. Then we all can talk about it and learn.

Not trying to start anything either but my most hated post are those that say, "look what i got today (BLAH, BLAH, airgun), i'll tell you guys about it some other time". And pooooooof, they dissappear which tells me, what they got is probably no good or not worth talking about.
Anonymous User
February 28, 2010 06:34PM
Nice Kent, that really put the finishing touches on it. Gary was spot on, great choice for a pure hunting gun like that one. Thanks for showing it even though it gives me pain everytime you do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021