Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Gary's Challenge Part 1 - The swimming pool test

Gary's Challenge Part 1 - The swimming pool test
March 25, 2010 07:33AM
At the end of this post Gary and I made a bet regarding the spitzer I have been shooting through my .308:[www.airgunrendezvous.com]
Well, here's the first part of my testing, before and after pictures of the spitzers shot into the pool, to check out the engraving:
Before:
Photobucket
After:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Gary, over to you to analyse the results......but, well, as I see it, and as you predicted, still plenty of engraving on the .308 slugbowing
Cheers
Neil
March 25, 2010 02:12PM
Hi Neil,

Great documentation there. Actually, as you can see, there's nearly no difference. You could still go smaller, if you had a sizing die for it. That's still alot of bullet deformation from the rifling. You need a ringed slug ... like .... whistling hahah

And I need a swimming pool .... hahah.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2010 02:13PM by barnespneumatic.
March 25, 2010 10:11PM
Neil,

Are you sure those slugs are the size they are labeled? Since they don't have sizing die marks, they must drop from the mold right on size. That's certainly possible but a little unusual.
March 25, 2010 11:08PM
Man, that is excellent accuracy!! .5 in group at 100 yards is almost unbeleiveable for bigbore. Neil, do you know its averaged group? It should be close to that size, just curious. Good job!!
March 26, 2010 06:21PM
Hello Peter
I haven't measured an average for groups, but on the right day this gun can shoot some good ones. That sub 1/2 incher was with the HP's, below is a sub incher with the spitzers
Photobucket
I'll try to better this as part of Gary's challenge!
Cheers
Neil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2010 06:22PM by neilmcp.
March 27, 2010 04:50AM
Jerry, you had me worried that I might have mixed up my slugs, so I repeated the test. Here are some of the .308 sized slugs. I think I can see a bit of dragging on the rings at the rear:
Photobucket
Now here's one of those two shot into the pool an hour ago:
Photobucket
Pretty similar to the other test I think.
The barrel is supposed to be spot on .308, so if the body of the slug is .308 already it won't show sizing marks, and seems to slide through the grooves relatively untouched in the swimming pool version....
Mind you, these are Lee mold slugs described ae 312's, so who knowsconfused smiley
Cheers
Neil
March 27, 2010 02:17PM
Hi Neil,

Not to pick, but do you mean the "bore of the sizing die" is supposed to be spot on .308"? It reads "barrel".

Also; you can see that this slug is "scrounging" the bore of the barrel. It's not only being cut by the rifling, but the sides of the bullet are dragging along the bottom of the grooves. You can note, from about half way down the bullet to the base, drag marks on the body of the slug.

I'm not saying if that's good or bad. I'm NOT starting another nightmare like that bullet twist thread!! why me hahah. surrender

Gary
March 27, 2010 07:11PM
Sorry, I need to be a bit more precise with my terminology!!self-hammer
I now see the scrounging you are referring to (note to self: Do something about your eye for detail while you are working on the terminology...The Reader). As to whether it is a good or bad thing, I guess it is a trade-off between a good seal and extra drag...??
Cheers
Neil
March 27, 2010 09:10PM
Hi Neil,

The party line is that you need a perfect seal.

The Gary line is that to squeeze thru a thousandth gap between the bottom of the grooves and the slug, takes more time that the slug has in the bore. But ... I'm not starting anything. haha.

Gary

When life allows, I'll send you some slugs to try. Since you actually shoot, and you are just around the corner ... More coffee
March 28, 2010 03:29AM
I'd be honoured to try some of your slugs one day Garyexcited

Dang wind stopped me from doing "the test" this weekend.......crying

Cheers
Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 41
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021