Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A Few more Progress Pics - Tundra

A Few more Progress Pics - Tundra
March 26, 2010 02:29PM
Just a few more (thousand it seems) steps before this bluing session. Here's some parts of the Rearick Tundra

Tundra 001.JPG

Top of receiver being bored, counter bored, reamed, and threaded

Tundra 002.JPG

Transfer Port going into the housing. That's a Barnes handmade cutter being used. A piloted cutter like this would be a couple of hundred dollars commercial. I've made hundreds of them from tool steel. Some have asked before ... yes - there's a handmade cutter machining good quality 1018 steel. They will mill anealed tool steel as well, if you go slow and keep the cooling correct. They will actually mill the same steel that they are made from, when properly heat treated.

You can see the barrel threads in the port too.

Tundra 005.JPG

Working on the Weaver rails here.

Tundra 007.JPG

Crossmilling the Weaver Lugs here.

Tundra 008.JPG

Surface grinding the sides of this component here.

I really need to get this Tundra's steel parts into bluing, along with a dozen other critical projects. It's happening - too slow for me and you both ... but it's happening.

thumbs up

Gary
March 26, 2010 06:43PM
Mr Rearick's mouth will be watering Garyeye popping smiley
March 26, 2010 11:18PM
Awesome stuff!!!

I am liking metalwork pictures more and more....but of course, I cannot forsake my primary love....WOOD completely!
March 27, 2010 02:28PM
I hear you do a bit of "bone carving" yourself?

whistling

Gary
March 27, 2010 03:08PM
Gary,

Neat! Did you use your new camera? I was trying to guess whether or not you stopped the maching for the shot or took a high speed photo. You stopped the grinder for sure, the others I'm not so sure.wink

Hey, forget the gun business, there is a fortune to be made in the tool business.

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2010 05:27PM by Bigbore.
Anonymous User
March 27, 2010 04:39PM
Nice, I like the play by play. Pictures look great, that new camera is earning its keep.

What kind of surface grinder is that, Gary?
March 27, 2010 09:07PM
It's a Harig Joe. Really nice one I picked up used about 30 years ago. Hardly even broken in yet ... hahah.

Gary
March 30, 2010 10:26AM
I remember the one at my high school metalshop, I believe it was one of those "don't touch this or you're dead meat" brand tools. self-hammer
Wouldn't want to get the kids all worked up about having parts that are actually flat AND parallel, after all. eye rolling smiley

Come to think of it we seemed to have a LOT of that brand around the shop...hmmm......
March 30, 2010 02:13PM
Nothing you can't spend several days "draw filing" ya know. Keeps the little brats from talking too much. winking smiley
April 01, 2010 08:44AM
I still can't believe that those magnetic chucks actually work. It's just plain weird seeing your work just sitting there with the grinding wheel going to town on it, with nothing visible holding it down at all. surprised
April 01, 2010 05:01PM
Magnets!!! It THAT all it is??? Gosh, I thought you tossed that lever and little invisible force field fairies clamped it down. I always worried about burning them with sparks!! haha. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Gary
April 02, 2010 07:59AM
Yup, that's why the aluminum parts always disappear right when the wheel hit's 'em. They just don't get along with the magnet fairy. "festive"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021