Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Refitting the Alpine

Refitting the Alpine
March 27, 2010 03:17AM
The Alpine 45 has been in the shop for some time. It needed new seals. Ironically, it became damaged at the same time. We got rained out at the range - in a very high wind - with lightening - at dark. The perfect storm. Everything got stowed asap. The Alpine got wet - got into a wet case - and got forgotten. It had needed some "fluffing up" from worn wood finish, some scratches, and just maintenance.

It's been creeping along in the background. It's been going back together now.

Alpine 006.JPG

The lower part of the clamshell buttstock. Fiddle back Walnut. Deep relief carving. It's been a bear to refinish ... can you say ... WAX!!! I cleaned it, and cleaned it ... and then the first two new coats of finish were still telegraphing "fish eyes" and have required extensive steel wool over and over. The third coat is baking. It will take a few more, no doubt.

Alpine 008.JPG

Some of the solid brass billet and fabricated furniture. A slightly "antiqued" finish is created. The gun doesn't want a "harsh" bright, bright metal work. But - I had some scratches and dings to remove. So, a sanding, a polish, and then the recreation of the proper aging was needed.

Alpine 003.JPG

It's coming along. One of many projects.

thumbs up

Gary
March 27, 2010 04:16PM
thumbs up Excellent. Lookin' good, Gary.

-- Jim
March 27, 2010 08:53PM
Just put the 5th coat of stock oil on it all.

Gary
March 28, 2010 04:08PM
That is looking very nice indeed. I suppose it won't be left in a 400 pound piano case anymore eh, Jim? tongue sticking out smiley
March 28, 2010 05:05PM
Yeah ... I could have added another milling machine to the shop in place of that piano case. haha. Bounced off of it a few times. Probably how I hurt my back .... whistling

wink

Gary
March 28, 2010 06:44PM
Gary,

Definitely one of my top 5 Barnes guns. Wish I could have taken a few more shots with it at Joe's.

Lon
March 30, 2010 10:14AM
As I recall, it looks a lot like the old German "shutzen" style rifles, only more massive. Definately unique.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021