Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: "Flip Flop" resetting target ... by Gary

"Flip Flop" resetting target ... by Gary
March 27, 2010 09:20PM
I made this big bore steel target today. I've had it in mind for years. Finally, on Saturday, it seemed like the thing to do (while occasionally dealing with stocks in the oven).

This will be neat, I think. You shoot one paddle, and it resets the other. You can shoot endlessly, never having to go set them up again. And, they should make a heck of a clatter when struck and resetting!

[s434.photobucket.com]

I put legs on the unit too. Needs some wheels on one end, pull handle on the front.

smileys with beer

Gary
March 27, 2010 09:26PM
Built to take hard hits. You set it up so that you are shooting at the end. (The video is from the side). You make the two paddles different colors. From distance, as you knock one flat, the other will instantly appear ... ready to go again! Could make a great "Dueling" target.

I designed it so it can take heavy hits, but I think our heavy 32s will also trip it at .. say 150 yards, etc. Probably Jim's Scout will too. Targeted for around 150-200 fpe.

Can't wait to get it into the field! bad dude

Gary
March 28, 2010 12:16AM
That's pretty cool Gary! it saves you from having to walk 100-150 yards to reset the target. Neat idea.
March 28, 2010 02:19AM
Neat design Gary! That should make a good racket. The mechanism should hold up well for even the big hits.

If you'll pardon one suggestion, it may need something to hold it in place. It will be absorbing quite a lot of energy either pushing it back, twisting it or less likely tossing it end over end. Two holes drilled in the bottom of the base plate would allow you to tap in a couple of rebar rods without interfering with the mech. If I'm wrong you can forget about the rebar and will only have drilled two holes that will allow you to hang it on a nail in the war wagon.

I'm sure the HD video of the camera will get a good workout with that very active target.

Kent
March 28, 2010 02:32AM
Hi Kent,

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

As it is, the plan was for the four pipe legs, to bite into the ground a couple of inches. Kelly saw it, suggested it needed tow wheels on one end - pull handle on the other. The field will see what mods it will require. If I had a Grizzly ... I might have to pour it in several yards of concrete. ;?)

I'll get some video - you bet. Won't have to go out to reset the target ... just go out to reset the camera taking a picture of the target. stunned

Gary
March 28, 2010 03:35AM
Looks great Gary. The only thing I'm thinking is the way your guns/slugs deal to metal targets it may not last more than a few shots!!!injured
Hehe
Neil
March 28, 2010 04:34PM
Anchoring the taget was one of the first things that came to my mind. I was thinking spikes on the front angled slightly back to dig deeper with each hit. Like a Danforth boat anchor that digs deeper the more you pull on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 04:47PM by Bigbore.
March 28, 2010 05:03PM
That's funny. Everybody is on the same page - being concerned about anchoring the unit down. Nobody has wondered aloud as to how it works.

Since the motion of the paddles are opposite to each other, I think it will moderate some of the shock. As the front is being slapped down, the mass of the rear one is coming forward at the same velocity. The paddles are very heavy. 5/16" or 3/8" thick steel.

Allowing for the slope of the hill is something I can account for with telescoping front legs.

Should be fun. Can't wait to slap it around some. haha.

Gary
March 28, 2010 06:56PM
Gosh, it seems like only yesterday we were watching video of steel targets doing dramatic triple somersaults high in the air.LOL!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 06:56PM by Bigbore.
March 29, 2010 02:31AM
Boy, I wonder if we'll EVER get to see it in action? dig it
March 29, 2010 02:44AM
Would you like to discuss the JOYS of the various movie maker programs I have on this laptop? Hummmm. stunned

I really don't see how 90% of the planet knows how to do this. It's apparently beyond me. I did, however; make some great movies ten years ago on my $50 computer.....

Well, I deleted everything but the straight clips. Found how one of the programs would at least do that.

I just don't have a year to devote to finding the button I need to make the transitions function and ... be still my heart ... maybe add a title...

The things, such as it is ... is posted now. Not the high speed though. Don't have it in me tonight ...

Gary
March 28, 2010 04:21PM
I for one can't wait to give the new target a stress test! If it survives the new Yukon, it will survive anything...thumbs up

Are the legs sharpened? I'm thinking that for leveling on the hill, the back will need to be pounded in deeper. What with the range being either muck or concrete in hardness...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021