Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Friday's Session

Friday's Session
April 08, 2010 09:28PM
of bluing will have key parts of 11 different guns.

It's not enough, but it's sure a ton of work. These components will provide the missing links for these 11 guns. With these component parts complete, they can be connected with the billet parts, trigger housings, etc.

Among this batch, are things that are not readily thought of. Bison crank, crank hub, crank hub retainer. All need to be complete, sanded, and blued. The Bison trigger housing is exposed on that model. Has to be complete, sanded, and blued.

I'll work this evening to complete a few more things. If they get in, they get in. If not, they will catch the next time. I can't prolong it any more. I'm getting rather "punchy" with the endless prep. for this batch. Green bowing

Gary
April 09, 2010 03:12PM
Sounds great Gary,

It's always the last little bit that takes forever and wears on me. Whatever I'm building always starts in a flurry and the basic framework and shape get done and then the details come in. I love the detail work more than anything, but sometimes I get bored of whatever project I'm on and need to do something else for a while first.

It's gotta feel good to get all that stuff blued and be able to put together a few guns though. Probably give you a little more space too. Not that it won't get filled again.
April 09, 2010 07:13PM
I can only begin to imagine the patience and stickability that must be required in order to juggle as many balls as you do Gary. It's easy for us voyeurs to forget the amount of work going in to the final product!
Cheers
Neil
April 09, 2010 07:27PM
Hi Guys. Thanks.

I'm getting ready to fire the tanks. I finally have all the parts prepared, and most of them "racked up". It's been quite an intense prep period. And, of course, I'm never satisfied that I'm ready. I have so many other things that I wish were far enough along for the tanks. This is a tremendous amount of work though.

Yes Neil ... some of these parts were literally started years ago. It's nearly impossible to give a real picture of the total energy that goes into just one of these, built to this standard. I just got a mail that was saying - tongue in cheek - that I need one of "these". The item was a 5 axis CNC mill. Just your basic little half a million dollar toy. Of course ... you don't just tell it to "go make a Bison". Actually, I'm not sure there's one part on a Bison that it could make. You'd need the CNC lathe, the CNC welder, the CNC grinder, CNC hydraulic press, CNC rifling bench, CNC heat treat center, CNC carving bench (that one would take a bit of programing ... heheh).

Better get suited up. Wish me luck.

Gary
April 10, 2010 01:40AM
Well, they are all racked. But ... the five hour session will have to wait til morning to start. I ran into complex "racking" issues. Had to make a couple of more racks to hold the items in the correct manner.

I also got the complete set of parts for the Rearick Tundra in here. There are alot of parts. Complex interplay of the parts. I didn't think I was gonna make the set - but did.

There are many different designs in this lot. I'll go ahead and mention the models/names. Though, please; the rest are coming along asap. I realize, very well, that nothing is of any interest except your gun. And, I'm very much aware that more / faster would be desired. This is, however; all of the energy I have. I can't work any faster.

Hagan - 45 Nitro Express
Westall - 45 Nitro Express
Donny - Insert
Butler - Bison 56
Rearick - 45 Tundra Mag.
Overmyer - 58 Barrel
Studnicki - Alpine Restoration
Shop - 62 Hawg
Boyenga - 62 Yukon
Parts - M-58
Parts - 56 Micro Bore
April 10, 2010 11:09AM
Be careful today. Please don't blow yourself up. Bang!

wink

-- Jim
April 10, 2010 08:35PM
It's all DONE!!!

And it all went PERFECT!!!

I must go pinch myself now. haha. excited

I took some pics and videos. I'll post some later.

For now ... I think a shower, and dinner out with my fine wife would be in order.

There's a BUNCH of extremely fine work curing inside a coat of oil right now. Yippie!

Gary
April 10, 2010 08:42PM
Thanks Jim,

Your Alpine turned out so well, that I'm "reposessing" it. stunned Sorry. More coffee

hehe

Gary
April 10, 2010 11:41PM
Heheh . . . maybe you'll at least let me shoot it once in awhile.

Take a break!

-- Jim
April 13, 2010 09:36PM
I'm just glad that you didn't catch yourself or your shop on fire. That blueing tank setup looks like some sort of punishment detail that the ACLU wouldn't let us inflinct on prisoners. injured
April 13, 2010 10:26PM
Right, the intentional infliction of an itch would be cruel treatment of a terrorist....
April 14, 2010 12:11AM
Hi Rotor,

The bluing shop is a seperate shop with steel walls. Still, I'm sure there's always some way to blow yourself up.

I did set my apron strings on fire once! excited
Anonymous User
September 01, 2010 10:03PM
Like you said Gary. Sound,s like you need to get dirty job,s Mike over to do a show!!!!!!!db.
Anonymous User
September 02, 2010 05:40AM
Whoaaaaaaaaaaaa Nelly, that's a lot of parts for one session. Even though I have seen the pictures I didn't realize you could do that amount of work in one bluing. That has got to be hundreds of work hours going into the boiling salt. no wonder you were on pins and needles.
September 02, 2010 03:01PM
You are exactly correct Joe. It seemed like I'd never reach the goal of all those parts prepared. And now, all of those parts are just a fraction of the completed parts inventoried. Most need the billet and top end parts to complete. Along with the stock work. Lots and lots of parts in one of these things. winking smiley

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021