Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Demon Bird ... PART 2 .... Pics

Demon Bird ... PART 2 .... Pics
April 24, 2010 02:02AM
The Saga continues!

Crossman - Demon Bird 001.JPG

A block of wood - set out yesterday, at the spot I'd missed the bird before. About 18 yards. Sure ... I can hit the block!!! haha

I thought the crazed lunatic bird had left last evening, after the last shot. Perhaps learned a lesson from being "dusted" a couple of times.

Crossman - Demon Bird 002.JPG

Then ... last evening ... a sign of things to come. It was back!

This morning, I came down to the kitchen for coffee ... to look out and see the pr. of Robins hopping around the yard. HA!!! I asked Kelly if they had been at the cars again. "Yep - the Van and the Car ... like crazy things".

Before coffee, before oatmeal ... I went to the shop in slippers, and went in the door opposite the car port. I came around to the window ... picked up the pistol ... pumped it up and loaded it .... THERE!!!! In the driveway!!!! I'd just started to line up on the thing ... and it flew off. OHHHwwwwWWWlllllLLLLLLL!!!!!!!! I HATE that bird!!!!!

About that time ... the Direct TV guy showed up in his van. Hooking up a dish, DVR, the whole shee-bang. ENOUGH with COMCAST cable and their bill increases for crappy service and attitude. If you can't get along with Kelly - you aren't trying. Some customer service jerk was really rude to her ... and that was it. She ordered the whole mess from the Satellite people. We have our own Satellite now ... if I understand correctly. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

But - I digress.

Crossman - Demon Bird 005.JPG

The car was washed last night - after I thought the Demon Bird was gone for good. I think this pic is from this am ... might have mixed it up. But both sides were nailed again!

Crossman - Demon Bird 011.JPG

This pic is from the other side of the car this morning! Can you believe this???

So; the dish guy was here, and the next few hours were spent trying to find our way around the house, basement, attic ... and answer a bunch of questions, and make very important decisions. hahaha.

I'd started on something early this am. I was walking over to the stone grinder to reshape a lathe cutter when .... THERE!!!!! ..... thru the open window ... I Don'T BELIEVE IT!!!! The Demon Bird was standing atop my car's rag roof ... Like a body builder primping itself!! Mocking me ..... why me

The Crossman was down for repairs. I went and grabbed my blow pipe and a rusty old 30 year old blow dart. Now ... at one time, I actually made these copper tube blow pipes and cards of fancy tufted music wire blow darts for a hunting shop 20 miles away. Just for a kick. Sold the heck out of them too. I'd had mine for 27-30 years. Used the darts for everything since then ... any time I needed to stick something to something else - or poke a hole.

Well, I grabbed this stuff and galloped off to the buffing room. I hung back ... it was STILL there!!! I could hardly believe it as I raised the pipe and aimed thru the window. Deeply expanded a lung full - and pretty sure the Satellite guy was on the roof ... PUFFF!!!!

Feathers flew!!! And so did the darned bird!! Curses!!!! hot smiley

Crossman - Demon Bird 010.JPG

I retrieved the dart. As you see - this was a pretty good dusting - once again!!

Crossman - Demon Bird 007.JPG

Would it NOW leave?

Answer ... No. I saw them both again. The pr. of birds. Amazing.

That was it ... I began, in earnest, to finish what I'd started this am. I needed this to end!!

Crossman - Demon Bird 014.JPG

Crossman - Demon Bird 013.JPG

I'd duplicated the plastic receiver for the 1377 in brass. Added more receiver up front ... altered the bolt action some - but retained the bolt itself to keep it quick, and most importantly ... added DOVETAIL 11mm rails!!! whistling

As I was assembling it all, Jerry called. What timing. I occasionally just toss my phone, on speaker, into my tee shirt pocket. I did now. Told him I was on a quest. I'd fill him in. I mounted the scope - one of my Simmons Turkey Federation 4X, and put a pc. of card stock on the bullet trap.

Crossman - Demon Bird 016.JPG

The trigger on this thing is truely an abomination. But ... the scope helped. First shot was at 6 o'clock and 5 inches low. The Simmons gave me the elevation - no sweat! I was on. Here Bird-ie, birrrrrrdddddeeeeeeyyyy.

Pumped in 7 pumps. I'd actually found a 25 year old tin of the pellets that I used to use for this. They have the reduced waist area "crimped" and have really thin wall skirts and a waddcutter face. The gun loves them. I was ready.

Went to the window ... and ... can you believe it? There was the bird ... but out another window. This one had a screen that didn't slide. I thought about shooting thru it - but knew it wouldn't work. Fiddled and realized that there was a catch ... and I dropped the whole screen frame outside behind the oil tank. Whatever - it was open. Of course the bird left ... but ...... it came back. At least ... a Robin came back ... and ... since this thing had been sooooooo persistant .... I must assume it was the one.

I could hardly believe it as I linded up on the Saber Toothed Beast of my Nightmares!! The Diamond Reticle steadied --- the crosshairs came to rest between it's shoulder blades. "PLAPPPP!" And the beast just crumbled!!! WHOOOOHHHOOOPPPPPP!!!!!!! Ask Jerry. hahah. He said my laugh was quite evil in sound. Hummm.

What follows is a nice pic of a birdie ..... ahhh ... sleeping. That's it.

Crossman - Demon Bird 015.JPG

Was it the correct one? The morning will tell!

Tonight ... it's Satellite TV ... maybe Mythbusters to celebrate! hahah.

singing

Gary
April 24, 2010 02:18AM
Nice story and pics. I'll bet a Barnes brass 1377 receiver would go for a pretty penny . . . eye popping smiley

-- Jim
April 24, 2010 05:52PM
Sorry Jim,

It's NOT for sale. It's all I've got to fend off the powers that fight against me .....

crazy
April 25, 2010 05:35PM
Update:

It's still here. The car's windows and doors are still covered. I can't get a shot at the thing. I've tried from several different angles. Whenever I spot the thing, it either has glass behind it, or it sees me and flies away.

Most crazy thing I've ever seen. I've stood at the shop window (even hung some pierced camo cloth), and watched. I put out some string on the ground where it's been gathering stuff. Somewhere I could safely shoot. Nothing. Kelly put up rubber snakes to scare it away. Nothing. It stands beside them, on them , nothing. I watch the ledge where it's building ... and I'll see it in the next bay of the ledge, hunched down, laser piercing me. It's like Jurasic Park and the raptors. If these things were a bit bigger, they'd rule the earth. This one already rules this little part of it.

Guess I better say .... haha ... so someone doesn't send the paddy wagon for me. excited

Gary
April 25, 2010 05:55PM
Gary,

Cobble together a bird feeder with a nice thick piece of wood that will act as a backstop. Place it in a strategic location and you may get a shot.

Nothing fancy, just a board with a seed holder and a perch. Most people set them up so the bird has to feed exposing it's profile.nowthatIthink

P.S. Put a catch pan on the bottom so the neighbors don't get suspicious.whistling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2010 05:57PM by Bigbore.
April 25, 2010 06:24PM
Hi Lon,

You know - this thing is so spooky now. I had a shot awhile ago. Crosshairs on it perfectly. Pop .... and the thing disappears. I thought it wasn't POSSIBLE to miss it again. So ... is it wounded ... AGAIN? Will it be back .... AGAIN? I know if it can, it will.

I did a ten minute trigger job on this. Polished the sear - put a lighter spring in it. That took it from about 8 pounds to 4 pounds. It's hard to get your foot up on the scope to yank the trigger back .... and still be on the bird. tongue sticking out smiley

In my 55 years (30 of them here) I've NEVER had a problem like this. You must see the cars to believe it. Even the windows are all smeared up with some waxy mess - with a million scratches in it - where the bird fights the reflection - on and on.

The feeder is good. I'll try it. Thing is - I have to be there to catch it. Can't let this quest take over completely .... eye rolling smiley

Gary
April 25, 2010 06:29PM
Well Lon ...

Kelly says the stupid Robins don't eat seeds - they eat worms.

So, now I have to build a "Worm Feeder" ... hahah. A bit harder ... and really disgusting too ....

Gary
April 24, 2010 03:49AM
Hi Gary,
that's a very nice breech. Hope that was the culprit. If not, I could always send you my 1377. I'll ship it Fed Ex so you don't have to worry, Lol.
1377 Milo 1.jpg
April 24, 2010 04:21PM
Hey Gunner,

Well - now THAT is some 1377 rig. Looks like all the magic got applied to that one. Nice going. You should be able to shoot this pesky Robin from Space with that thing! thumbs up

smileys with beer

Gary
April 24, 2010 04:22AM
Congrats Gary! Nice job, nice trophy! Jeez, you don't mess around, you get it done lol. I like the receiver brass, very pretty.

Gunner, that is a nice looking pistol! I love these modded Crosman pistols.
April 24, 2010 05:10AM
Gary,

Coupla things:

If that was not the bird you shot with the blowgun, aren't you worried it will get an infection from the rusty dart?not lookin' good

No engraving on the new receiver?bad dude

Lon
April 24, 2010 07:01AM
Hehehe, Gary, nice story, great persistence!
But....was it the right bird?? Are his brothers coming for your car tomorrow??scared
Good luck
Neil
April 24, 2010 04:19PM
Hi Neil,

Well, it continues. Saw a Robin on my car mirror - pecking the heck out of the passenger window. Of course, I was on the driver's side ... watching thru the car. Loaded gun. Passenger door crapped up this morning.

I'm thinking of selling the car. eye rolling smiley

Gary
April 25, 2010 07:58PM
NIIIIIIICE. Shot on the bird and the new breech you made.

I'm rootin for ya. Not just with the DEMON bird, but, i for one REALLY wanna see you customize that 1377. I know your time is limited as you have other projects going on but man, i would really love to see MORE of your work on that old classic. You are off to a GREAT start.

DO MORE, DO MORE, DO MORE, DO MORE...lol. No pressure though...lol
April 26, 2010 12:49AM
Ha hah,

Well, I did do a quickie trigger job. I think to get any accuracy from this gun, I'd need to design a new trigger system. This is pretty counter productive for a nice target trigger. You get it very light, and it wouldn't hold consistently.

I'll keep it in mind. I'd love to smack this bird. I can't imagine the thing is sooooooooo "tuned in". This is far more of a "game animal" than many big game animals where they just bait them. This thing has driven me to camo, darkening the room behind me, wearing dark clothes ... and I won't go on. haha. Much of the problem is that the only angle I can get on the thing, is from about 10 feet or so away. That or 20 yards. And, the 20 yards is sketchy, cause I have to be so careful of a backdrop.

Gary
April 26, 2010 02:54AM
Cedric,

You're trouble man. I actually pulled the trigger block off the gun again around 9:30 Sun. evening. Nobody can fault that ... right??? Well, maybe.

Anyway ... I decided to alter the geometry inside the design, to make the pull easier. I think Gunner had mentioned a mod about a wheel modification inside. I don't know what that fella did, but aI thought of an alteration that changed the advantage, used a wheel too. Who knows, maybe the same thing.

Didn't take too long. It made the unit into a decent trigger. Usable ... couldn't locate my trigger gauge ... guessing around a pound ... maybe less now. I think I'm in the game again ... if I can catch the beast still for a few seconds.

I have a bunch of more pics for part 3. Load them later. It ain't over ... 'til it's over!!!

Gary
Anonymous User
April 26, 2010 12:55AM
Set a mirror out in the yard away from your car, he'll find it an fight that.
April 26, 2010 02:47AM
Hi Joe,

With MY luck? You want to risk me having another 7 years like the last? hahah. LOL!

Yeah - I might yet. I thought of that. Have to set something up. I've got nothing else to do ... hahaha.

Gary
April 26, 2010 07:34AM
And all those guys on the ledger gathered at the outskirts of Gary's town...there was talk of a lynching....not of Gary, cos the guns would never get made...... no, a lynching of that damn biiiiiiird.........The Reaper........'cept nobody had a rope........the crowd dispersed, cussing.....damn biiird.....angry smiley
April 26, 2010 08:08PM
NIIIICE!! GB. Believe me, that birds days are numbered.

Don't mean to be "BAD" but as i see it, that gun just needs a little TLC. A little trigger job (which you've done already), a new breech (which you did already), and maybe replacing a few seals and such and the gun should be back to new. I mean, GB has got so have some PERSONAL time to his own aside from working on customers guns. So working on that gun on your OWN time and not the customers is OK.
April 26, 2010 08:36PM
Hi Cedric,

Thanks. I wondered about that one. haha. Working for yourself, it seems if you are conscious, you are on duty.

I also "did" reseal the gun. And .... check in on the new post regarding Phase 3.

smileys with beer

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021