Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: fill station

fill station
June 07, 2010 10:46PM
I got another question for yas!

Ok. I have a 68/4500psi carbon fiber tank. How can I get it to act as a small top off station?
I want it to output 3000psi or more. Can I do this?

I don't want to make a 4 tank tier system. I just want this small tank to top off after each full power shot, so basically around 150psi each fill. I should get a few top offs from that.

Is there something that I can put on the tank to give 3000psi output or more?

I would love a small compressor, but they seem to be really expensive!!

Chris.
June 07, 2010 11:00PM
Hi Chris,

That tank should be fitted with a DIN valve. That's typical of tanks like that. It shows a female cavity with internal threads. It should have a gauge on it too, with a hand wheel. You need a male DIN insert, with a microbore line, and then whatever sort of quick fill adapter that your gun uses.

You don't need a regulator. You clip onto your gun, slowly open the hand wheel. Although you have 4,500 psi in the tank, it bleeds into the gun slowly. You should even be able to see the needle "tick" when the air going in reaches the same level as the air pressure already inside your rifle. At around that balance point, the intake valve on the gun will open. You just slowly bleed in the amount of psi you want, and then close the hand wheel on the tank's DIN valve. You then use the "bleeder wheel" on the tank's DIN valve ... that removes the pressure between the tank and the gun, and then you unclip.

Sounds as if you didn't understand that you can "bleed in" air ... and "feather the valve hand wheel" to just top off the gun by watching the psi rise.

Now, you can't just crack open the hand wheel and not pay attention. If you did, then you'd overfill your gun. You aren't going to blow it up, so you don't have to fear that. But, if you put in too much, you will "valve lock" the gun where the hammer would have great difficulty firing the gun.

Gary
June 08, 2010 01:37AM
Where can I get these parts?

I feel that I am so lost. Aren't Din's used on Scuba tanks?, is the screw in the same diameter on a smaller hpa paintball tank?

Chris
June 08, 2010 02:35AM
My small Carbon Fiber tanks have DIN valves. Yes - they are SCUBA gear.

Look up "Air Hog" in Texas.

Gary
June 08, 2010 02:53AM
I checked those today, they really are expensive, around 600-700 dollars!!

Why hasnt someone come up with a 68ci/4500psi carbon fiber paintball tank that ouputs like a scuba tank does with no regulator?
Is this not possible? If not, why?

Chris
June 08, 2010 01:33PM
Chris,

Don't know what you are asking. We're not on the same page. Any tank needs a valve in it. The normal high pressure valve IS the DIN valve for these tanks. They DO output without a regulator.

You must have looked at a bench regulator set up. You don't need that. Any tank comes WITH a valve and gauge ... and usually with a microbore whip and fill quick coupler.

Hope that helps. Caps for clarity ... not for stress. haha.

The normal tank everyone uses is the 88 cubic foot tank. Holds alot more air. Tops off longer.

Doesn't your tank already have a valve in it? I mean ... it's not a tank with a big ole hole in the end. ;?)

Gary
June 08, 2010 09:18PM
The bottle I have has a valve and regulator, but the regulator is only good for 850psi output, for paintball.
Thats' what tank I have. I just figured that I could put a different regulator on it to allow for 3000psi output. Its a carbon fiber 4500psi tank with 68cu inches.
Thats what I want to do. I want to use this tank as a top-up tank, rather than spending 700 dollars on the air-hog tank, I could use what I already have and just change the regulator, but I can't find anything with that kind of ouput for a paintball sized tank.

I have a 80cu foot scuba tank, but it is only 3000psi, so that's a bust!! I'm not really interested in starting up a cascade system either, I am more interested in the portable small tank strictly used for topping up after 1 or 2 shots.

Chris
June 08, 2010 11:26PM
Hi Chris,

I understand. Sorry ... you just have the wrong thing. It evidently has a regulator built into the valve.

You can get another valve. That's what I was explaining. You do not need a regulator ... you just need a normal DIN valve for your tank.

Gary
June 09, 2010 12:17AM
Can I take my Din valve off of my Scuba tank and put it on my paintball tank? Are they the same thread and size?

Chris
June 09, 2010 01:28AM
Chris,

If you have a 4500psi paintball tank a normal scuba valve will not fit. The valves for 3000psi and 4500psi are not the same for safety reasons. Your PB tank may accept a 4500psi valve but I've not seen a simple regulator swap that would allow easy top offs. You'd still need a valve after the reg anyhow.

If you want to use tanks instead of pumping, you just have to buy the right gear for this purpose.
June 09, 2010 05:55AM
Bottom line....
I need to spend hundreds of dollars in order to use tanks for top-ups.

I was hoping to avoid that!!

Oh well, I guess I'll just keep pumping for now.

Chris
June 09, 2010 10:19PM
Chris,

Copy from earlier in the thread: Its a carbon fiber 4500psi tank with 68cu inches.

I'm unsure if you mean a 68 cubic FEET tank ... or if you are really talking about a tiny 68 cubic INCH tank.

I have had a few smaller carbon fiber tanks. They all just had a normal DIN valve on them. No regulator built in ... just a normal valve. So; unless you have something specifically made to be different ... then I'd suspect the DIN valve would fit. Take both tanks to a dive shop and ask them if it can be changed.

If the thing is really only 68 cubic inches, it's too small to do anything with anyway. No loss in the fill department. Your gun is going to use lots of air. You have to be able to feed it.

Gary
June 09, 2010 11:51PM
Agree with GB on the gun needing to be fed.

When you get into PCP you get into the initial cost of spending money. The gun cost and the equipment cost. But once you have it all (what you need) then its all downhill and FUN from there.

I started off with a hand pump and it lasted for about 6 months. Then i bought my first aluminum tank and i was in heaven. The problem was that i kept buying guns and some of them needed to be filled to 3200 psi. So i would then fill up with my scuba tank then top off with the hand pump. PHWEEEEW. Then i wised up and bought a RAPID25 and a carbon fiber 4500 psi tank. I still have my aluminum tank and my hand pump and will keep them for as long as they last.

The point is, i should have saved up for the CF tank first which was the right equipment for the job to begin with
June 10, 2010 02:42AM
OK, I fired off an email to that hamradio site and asked to purchase a 66cuft fg tank with a scba assembly.

Will that do for me? does it make a big difference with fiberglass as opposed to carbon fiber?

I can always get the cf if it makes it better.

Has anyone dealt with this site before? is it realiable stuff?

Chris
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021