Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Be Glad ....

Be Glad ....
June 17, 2010 02:28AM
that you are not my daughter, Dana. She lives in Arz. with her husband (Air Force) and their 5 kids at home. She's the daughter that had pre-mature triplets five years ago. That's a daily obligation few could handle, let me tell you. And another story ....

However; last evening, she prepared a frozen meal of Orange Chicken for the kids. It was tainted. Only two of the children ate it. Those were the two who were up all night projectile vomiting. Of course, Dana was up with them. And then .... for her efforts .... this morning ... in the house ... she was stung by a Scorpion.

Speaking of grandkids. Kelly says our daughter-in-law just posted that today, our grandson Caden ... asked her if "God drove to work?"

That's thinking it thru Caden. I can use a man that can think. Pipe smoker

Gary
June 18, 2010 01:16AM
Only on AR. whistling

34 reads. Just another daughter stung by a Scorpion in her house. eye rolling smiley How many time have I heard THAT one ...
June 18, 2010 02:59AM
Wow,

I guess that "dry heat" down there comes with some other hazards!

I just got back from the hospital. Timmy was nice enought to crash his dirt bike just before any of the nurses forgot his name... eye rolling smiley

After a couple hours and X-Rays, it turns out that he just has an ugly hemotoma and other bruising but he'll be fine.

I hope Dana and the girls are recovering as well.
June 18, 2010 07:41AM
WHHHHHHHHHAT? What rotten luck. GEEESH. Sick Kids then stung by a Scorpion. Your right, that doesn't happen everyday. Hope they are all fine.

Did your daughter get sick or anything from the scorpian sting?

Jerry, Good your kids OK also.
June 18, 2010 04:36PM
Fourth time I've tried to post this. Let's try again ...

Most crazy thing. The medical people involved claimed you do nothing for that. stunned It hurt like blazes all day and night. I asked and questioned multiple times. Everyone claimed they'd been thru the circuit, and it was handled. Sounded bazar to me.

Sorry Timmy crashed Jerry. If you'd have been reading him a book, this wouldn't have happend. whistling haha. I'm sure he'll get lots of TLC from the ladies.

Gary
June 21, 2010 09:06PM
all we have here is rain and wasps ,,, sometimes a moderate climate isnt that bad , good to hear everyones ok in the end though.
t
June 27, 2010 04:26AM
Boy, it sucks to be up with a sick kiddo, especially when they're re-decorating the bedroom with what remains of dinner. The scorpion thing sucks too, as I know from first-hand experiences. We used to live in the PHX area (Chandler, actually, at the time), it's right in the middle of scorpion country. The condo we were renting had a vacant lot next door, and when they started grading it for development it was scorpion city at our place for a while as all the critters migrated to avoid the bulldozer. To make matters worse, one of the cats we had at the time thought they made great toys and brought them inside to play with on a regular basis. The night that one fell into the ceiling fan over the bed and landed on the comforter of the bed that my wife was in at the time sticks in my head for some reason. It's surprising the depth of emotion that can be conveyed in a single word when it's heartfelt enough. rolling happy smiley

In any case, I would advise your daughter and son-in-law pick up a battery operated black light. Scorpions flouresce (fairly weakly) in UV light, which makes them easier to spot. The ones we worried about (Centruoidis Sculpteratis) [en.wikipedia.org] are unfortunately common in Arizona, and blend in alarmingly well with neutral carpets and home decors in tans and beige colors. The black light is by far the best way to eliminate them, as they damned tough critters and are virtually immune to bug poison. They easily get into houses, as they can can squeeze through amazingly small cracks and crevices and are drawn to relatively moist areas such as urban landscaping with it's attendant bugs as their food. After the "flying scorpion incident" we bought a monster UV light that took six or eight D-cell batteries, it had two flourescent-style tubes and weighed about five pounds. These days I believe the same effect can be had by a much smaller light, some models that use UV LEDs run off one or two AA batteries yet emit considerable amounts of UV. Have them wait until their eyes are well adjusted to the dark at night, and scan the interior and exterior of their house (specifically including ceilings, rough-textured walls, and inverted surfaces). If you are slow and careful, it's possible to spot scorpions that are otherwise invisible since they glow with a faint green color under the UV light.

It can be difficult to spot them with this method on white carpet or walls that are flourescent themselves, but in this case the scorpions will be much easier to spot in visible light against the lighter background. One you find them , just pick them up with a pair of kitchen tongs and drop them in a jar to be deposited well away from the house and yard. They're actually pretty efficient predators of cockroaches, crickets and other undesirable bugs, so as long as they're not where you or the kids will encounter them there's not much sense killing them outright. They just don't make particularly good neighbors, as with rattlesnakes and other venomous animals. One place to pay particular attention to is in closets and laundry areas, as they prefer dark places during the day and will hide underneath loose objects when they cannot find terrain where they can dig a burrow.

These particular scorpions seem to have a distinct taste for climbing up things and hanging on walls and overhangs, so check thoroughly in those areas. The first time we fired up the UV light in our condo we didn't find any...at first. Once our eyes adjusted to the dark and we "trained" ourselves to spot the outline of the totally immobile scorpions (they don't seem to notice the UV at all) we found them all right...inside the house, on the porch, all over the walls outside, it seemed like everywhere. After a few days of "repatriation" to the perimeter of the condo complex we only found them on rare occasion, despite our cat's best efforts. eye rolling smiley
June 27, 2010 02:49PM
Thanks Sean,

Good tips. They did know about the black light.

They say there's empty houses in the area. When new people move in, the scorpions beat it to other neighboring properties.

They live near "Cortino - Queen creek". Kelly thinks Chandler is right beside it.

They say that people out there have their yards sprayed, to kill bugs ... to remove the food sources for the scorpions on their properties.

Thanks!

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021