Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Variety Pack

Variety Pack
June 23, 2010 05:45PM
Yesterday afternoon, around 5:30 ... it just seemed like a good idea to go to the range field. I loaded up, sat in the truck ... and looked at the overhead digital readout ... 100 degrees F. I wondered to myself ... "Who's stupid idea was this?" eye rolling smiley

But, when I got to the range, the field had been harvested. It wasn't muddy. There was actually a breeze. And I was glad I came.

In the course of filling orders, I have opportunities to develop previous base line performances. I've had a series of VLC slugs that I've been working on for years. "Very long for caliber" slugs add up significant mass ... which drives up energy. However; they require special stabalization.

a_singletail.jpg

This is a very promising design. Shot thru a Barnes 18 groove left hand twist barrel atop the shop mule test bed.

I tested a variety of things. Didn't have a bunch of these slugs. But - you can bet I'll make more and test again.

a_50twintail2.jpg

There's three shots at 50 yards under that quarter. This slug has good promise too. These VLC Series slugs, in 32 caliber - range from about 165-220 grains. Quite different from the more normal 65-100 grain per 32 slugs.

150yds_knife.jpg 006.JPG

Light was fading, but I wanted to try these two slugs out at 150 yards. I only had time for a group or two of each. It was still about 9pm when I was packing up. This slug will fly. I need to tune my bench technique. This was shot off of a bi-pod. Bags would most likely do better. And, I was shooting 10X glass at 150 yards.

150yds_knife.jpg 008.JPG

Here's the heavier slug at 150 yards. They shoot nice triangles! haha.

a_innerframebuttonlock1.jpg

Most of the ledger is airguns. However; people "catch me" carrying unfinished shop knives I've made for myself sometimes. My plan doesn't always work. They ask to buy them unfinished, and wait for them to be completed. This one has been laying in a tuna can, disassembled for about two years. It's now complete. A silky smooth button lock mechanism of my own design.

a_innerframe6.jpg

Inlaid bone in an innerframe of hard color anodized aluminum.

Gary
June 23, 2010 06:18PM
Gary,

You know someone has to ask, velocity? Energy calculations ya know.more innocent

Nice groups. Nice knife!

Lon
June 23, 2010 08:10PM
Lon,

I'll check next time. Didn't take the chrono.

I was accuracy testing the slug yesterday. I'll fool around with velocities as I go. I didn't notice any hang time @ 150 yards though.

Gary
June 27, 2010 02:45AM
Here ya go Lon,

187.7 grains @ 823 feet per second .... about 282 foot pounds I think I recall for this 8mm.

Gary
June 23, 2010 06:49PM
Wow . . . that knife sure would go nice with my Delta 45. whistling

I don't think most folks realize how *long* a .32 slug has to be in order to weigh 220 grains. That's the same weight as a .45 Barnes Shrike, the default slug for my aforementioned Delta. What's the length on that puppy?

-- Jim
June 23, 2010 08:04PM
Hello Jim,

Yeah - you're right. That would blend right in there.

The slugs are around 1 3/8" long. Look like a pencil. haha. I keep them in a quiver.

smileys with beer

Gary
June 23, 2010 09:37PM
150yds_knife.jpg 002.JPG

150yds_knife.jpg 004.JPG

Forgot to add these.

The smashed slug was one that went thru the 3/4" plywood backer @ 50 yards and smashed into the switchblade target I was using to prop the plywood. I wasn't running real hot. That's a 215 grain slug.

The other is the group under the quarter.

Gary
June 24, 2010 02:14AM
Amazing accuracy, especially the 150 yarder. The BC on those most really keep the energy up at range! It appears that those are a few thousands smaller in diameter than some of the other "32" slugs. Must be the length/ number of rings keeping the slug tight. Those may fit in a Delta I'm getting ready to rescope.

Jim, I agree that anodizing would complement the colors on your "cocker".

Kent
June 24, 2010 01:51PM
Hi Kent,

I'll "loan ya" a few of these slugs to try. So long as you don't bend them all up like the last ones I sent you ... laughing

Yeah - as you note from the "melted slug pic" ... there's 18 sets of double knives in the barrel. It gains control very fast. Doesn't need top cut as deep. Actually - that melted looking slug was shot at .3155".

So - you must have received your "box" from the previous owner. Hope all was well. Guess we'll see something in due time. Probably ordered one of those Simmons Turkey scopes ... didn't ya? More coffee

Gary
June 24, 2010 02:48AM
Nice post Gary! That slug in the follow-up is a great picture. You coud probably convince someone that it melted on the dashboard...whistling

Nice knife, want to trade it for an authentic Barnes folder with custom made belt holster?
June 24, 2010 01:56PM
Hey - how do ai know it's an "authentic" Barnes folder, and not some Chinese knock-off .... stunned

Sorry - this one is going to it's ledger sitter. Thanks for the offer.

Gary
June 24, 2010 05:03AM
Nice shooting GB. It's not everyday ya just wake up and design and cast a new bullet design. Oh yeah, and build nice knives to boot. Man, you are the Jack of all Trades.

That smashed bullet is pretty cool looking too.
June 25, 2010 08:09AM
Gary, those 150 yard groups are looking good! As are the 50 yarders, though the real test is the long shots..shooter
Gotta say though, it is a real teaser that we can't see what the slugs look like! Dang intellectual property! sad smiley
Regards
Neil
June 25, 2010 03:10PM
Hey ... it's not paranoia when the whole world REALLY IS against you ... scared ... hahahah.

Heck - they just look like any ole depleated uranium smart slug ... whistling

Gary
June 25, 2010 06:09PM
I think they look awesome...right up until impact. Then they turn "cool."
June 26, 2010 02:12AM
you guys are killing me...lol. I too wanna see them slugs.
June 26, 2010 05:25PM
That's just it Cedric .... you can't SEE them. They are invisible too ... didn't I mention that. I had a tin of the things ... turned around, and then couldn't find them! Yeah - the make the tin invisible too! eye popping smiley

Heck - I'll send you a tin of them ... laughing

What size do you need?

hehe

Gary
June 27, 2010 04:32AM
That's some cool looking stuff in this post. Not just the pretty knife, but that lead model of a tree stump that you painstakingly carved with all those stripes. grinning smiley
June 27, 2010 07:13AM
OK GB, i need size .457". And if you send me an empty box and say that the slugs are in there, you'll paywhy me
June 27, 2010 10:09PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021