Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Various projects - Pics

Various projects - Pics
June 29, 2010 07:37PM
I was honored, recently, to be asked to make the wedding rings for my Son and his wife.

Kelly provided company and support late last evening as we finished a carved sterling silver ring for my Daughter-in-law, and then this morning, I finished a stainless steel band for my Son.

a_shop.jpg

Just a snap of the shop. Every square inch - three dimensionally - is used.

a_gary_layout.jpg

Kelly snapped some pics along the way. Here I'm laying out a design on the sterling ring.

But first ...

Rings_stainless 003.JPG

It had to be made by sawing out sheet sterling, bending it, and silver soldering it together.

a_ring_sand.jpg

Sanded smooth, and hammer sized on a ring mandrel

a_gary_carving.jpg

Myself carving the ring in a simple scroll - as requested.

Rings_stainless 031.JPG

Then buffing ...

a_Kelly_cleaning.jpg

Kelly cleaning it after buffing.

a_Z_ring.jpg

I hope she likes it (and that it fits!)

a_Aaron_ring.jpg

Then the machined stainless band for my Son.

AnZ's rings.jpg

And both together.

a_reg_valvehead.jpg

You remember I fixed my bench regulator. Here's the main valve head I resurfaced.

a_SSintake.jpg

Love the new lathe. Here's Jerry's Stainless Steel intake for his Yukon 62.

a_SSswarf.jpg

Here's why I'm always fussing, and the guys are teasing me about "Swarf". This "razor wire of death" is curling around whenever stainless is involved. The stuff won't just "fracture" and chip off. You can make a mile of the stuff. You don't dare loose your attention. No matter what sort of chip breaker you try, it gets around it. Don't dare pull it - you clear it with a tool - with the machine off. And often. It's a real pain. Makes nice parts. They're barely worth the effort though - for the nasty experience of machining them. This would be good work for robots. haha.

Well - there's a bunch of pics. Hope you enjoyed it. My coffee break is long over. Back to it.

Gary
June 29, 2010 08:45PM
It's nice your family appreciates your skill set to the point of having you be such a focal point of their marriage ceremony. Best wishes to both of them. May their union shine as brightly as the rings.

Kent
June 29, 2010 09:25PM
Thank you Kent,

I'll pass along your best wishes. Much appreciated.

I've felt very privledged to make several rings for my family. Though it's a time issue ... it's what life is for. I try not to miss the important things.

Pipe smoker

Gary
June 29, 2010 09:20PM
Beautiful work, gary!
June 29, 2010 09:27PM
Thank you Doug,

I appreciate it.

thumbs up

Gary
June 29, 2010 10:46PM
Another nice set of rings for a joyous occasion. You're right, you have to attend to the important things!

Nice valve too!
June 30, 2010 12:33AM
It's good to get out of your "box" from time to time and be able to make something different. It's also nice to have the skills such that they would consider you their first choice in fabricating the symbolic representation of their upcoming union, quite the honor! It's interesting to see the nuts-n-bolts of how basic things like sheet silver things get turned into fancy things like wedding rings, not always what I expect, I'll admit. I'll also admit that I get a bit excited every time I see evidence of stainless steel being worked in your shop, but that's just me. whistling

So...is that yellow jointed double beam assembly your way of swinging the lights to where you need them?
June 30, 2010 01:19AM
300 watt loading dock spot light. It will move into an amazing number of places from that location. Never have enough light on work.

I took it down a year or two ago, to insulate and sheath that interior wall. Got it put back up only a few weeks ago after stumbling over it and squinting during it's absence. c_Searching_Flashlight_Holmes.gif

Good spot. thumbs up

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 01:40AM by barnespneumatic.
June 30, 2010 01:54AM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME GB?

GB sais: "Oh yeah, my name is GB and i make unique AIRGUNS. Oh, and i also make knives, and silver rings, and i draw very well, as well as make unique targets that i draw to shoot including my custom hand crafted DUCT SEAL animals, as well as additions to my house and moving in heavy machinery to my LAB, as well as make my own custom bullets and molding blocks, as well as templates for my projects...etc, etc, etc. Hummm, think i forgot something". LOL

Man, that ring is the best.

And yeah, i was making fun of ya...so what?
June 30, 2010 02:24PM
Hey Cedric,

You've reminded me that I have to add, "makes duct seal animals" to my resume'

laughing

Green bowing

Gary
June 30, 2010 02:57PM
Gary,

What a thrill to become such an intimate part of the start of a new family; It's a parents dream.
Life's simple pleasures truly are the best.

I shudder thinking about that stainless wire getting wrapped around my hand and the chuck.surprised

Lon
June 30, 2010 03:11PM
Hi Lon,

Yeah - it's really nice to see them enjoy something I've made for them.

Regarding the stainless ... yes ... the first night I lathe turned stainless, I turned off the machine ... reached for a coil of swarf, barely tugged it at all, and sliced my finger ... extremely deep. The stuff is honest to goodness razor wire. Actually went to the emergency room that time (before my full blown super glue days) ... where I waited so long, that the razor cut bonded together under my hasty bandage. By my turn, you couldn't even hardly find the cut that had been half way round my finger and about to the bone.

So; I was embarrased and said I'd just leave. Well, none of that. Lawyers came out of the woodwork. I'd have to sign an "Against Medical Advice" form. And then, if complication showed up, my inusrance wouldn't have anything to do with it. They convinced me that they needed to pry the wound apart again, fish around in there cleaning it, and then patch it back up. So - I was there for hours - and it was far worse having it cleaned than cutting it.

I'm sure there's some perfect way to machine the stuff. I haven't found it. The coils just won't break off - and they snake around everywhere. Can't tell you the times I've realized one was snaking right toward my face - the hardest to see. So - it's always like some sort of rite of passage to make something from it.

Gary
June 30, 2010 03:55PM
I guess now's the part where I shut up...lipsaresealed
June 30, 2010 04:24PM
thumbs up

-- Jim
June 30, 2010 06:26PM
Gary,

Your artistic abilities always amaze me. I think I should get my son up there to work with you for a while. He would learn more about art and metal working/smithing working with you then he is at the college he's attending in Memphis (not to mention the money I would save).

Keith
June 30, 2010 06:46PM
Hi Keith,

Thanks very much.

Regarding the private tutoring position .... scholar ..... Ah .... I'd really love that Keith. Teach him 40+ years of skills ...

Let me check .....

DARN!!! brick wall .... I see I'm gonna be away that day!

Isn't that always the way??? Even sadder nutz .....

More coffee

Gary
July 03, 2010 10:23AM
What? And put all the "hollow tree elves" out of work?

Not gonna happen, they're a union shop these days. grinning smiley
July 14, 2010 06:28PM
as ever ,, outstanding workmanship , it sthe sort that lasts a lifetime , and i wish that on every level too.
stainless , oh yes its a pain ,,, but mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm its stainless lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021