Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: More Yukon parts ... MORE PICS NOW

More Yukon parts ... MORE PICS NOW
June 30, 2010 07:02PM
Working on a couple of bolt handles this morning.

Jerry_Yukon 001.JPG

Last night, I got to the point where I could install the firing valve, install the main tower, and install the intake valve/cap. I then pressurized the reservoir for the first time.

Jerry_Yukon 004.JPG

Coming along. Slow stuff - details count.

Jerry_Yukon 003.JPG

The back of the tube/frame is textured. Provides the eye some relief. The wreath is a bit of detail/whimsy tossed in.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 11:51PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: More Yukon parts ...
June 30, 2010 10:07PM
It is looking fantastic! Every bit I see as they come provides something to enjoy.
June 30, 2010 10:45PM
Very nice GB. can't wait to see the finished products.
June 30, 2010 11:09PM
Jerry_Yukon 003.JPG

Jerry_Yukon 002.JPG

Green bowing
June 30, 2010 11:56PM
More parts coming together. The receiver is mounted, and the barrel threaded in. The trigger block is just temp in place. More finishing needed, and installation of the levers inside.

Gary
Jerry_Yukon 004.JPG
Jerry_Yukon 005.JPG
Jerry_Yukon 006.JPG
Jerry_Yukon 007.JPG
Jerry_Yukon 008.JPG
Jerry_Yukon 009.JPG
July 01, 2010 12:12AM
Oh boy... We're going to pound some stuff with that bad boy!
July 02, 2010 09:00AM
Wow . . . that's excellent. Big and beefy. thumbs up

Now Gary, technically, you could drop that action into a bench rifle stock and have a Tundra, correct? idea

-- Jim
July 02, 2010 01:19PM
Hi Jim,

Actually - this is a different action. This is a "Fire THRU bolt" design. The Tundra is a bolt action. The placement of the parts are different, as well as the internals.

This trigger block also prevents the normal pistol grip position of a modern bench rifle.

It will be a beast of a long range gun though - no doubt.

Gary
July 01, 2010 02:56AM
Beautiful work Gary! take a bow I really enjoy the combination of colors, textures and artwork. Jerry is sure to love it. Have you touched it yet ? Sure is pretty! Thanks for sharing, guys.

Kent
July 01, 2010 01:27PM
Touched it yet? HA! Whenever Jerry comes over, he leaves about 30 thousandths of fingerprints on the parts - nothing fits until I clean them again! hahah.

laughing again

Gary
July 01, 2010 07:44AM
That looks really good. Nice attention to detail. Love the 3 o rings on the bolt probe. Can you say, "NO BLOW BY". Also, love the "BUILT LIKE A TANK" weaver scope rails
July 01, 2010 11:02PM
That is simply amazing and gorgeous!! Great job Gary! It makes me drooling pretty bad lol. Congrats to you Jerry on a fine gun!
July 02, 2010 01:58AM
Thanks,

Got much of the hammer made today. Worked on the spring tube and guides. Also did more invisible stuff related to recoil resistance of the components.

It's coming around.

Did a bunch of office stuff today too.

Gary
July 02, 2010 07:01AM
I can't comment really, other than "Wow".
bowing
Neil
July 03, 2010 10:04AM
Very nice, very nice indeed. Love the bronze receiver...hint hint...more innocent

So, Jerry turns out to be useful not only for wearing parts out, but building them up as well. I must admit that .030 is a fair thickness of fingerprints, are you sure it's not just his heavy breathing expanding all the parts due to the heat buildup?grinning smiley

On a slightly more serious note, that texturing on the aft end of the hammer tube looks great. I'm betting that it helps keep the "greasy fingerprint" level down as well, it ought to hide them well. Is it beadblasted or hand hammered? The "wreath" reminds me alot of the carved welds on the bison series, it ought to keep people guessing. winking smiley
July 03, 2010 05:46PM
Sean,

Yeah ... Jerry's handy sometimes ... haha.

The texturing is actually produced with a rotary tool and applied by hand. Takes awhile. The trick is to get it truely random - so the eye doesn't pick up patterns, overlays, or "hot spots". It provides a different color and texture to the eye ... and makes stainless steel somehow seem at home on a gun that looks 19th century. It will also resist the small scuff and brush marks from cocking the gun and general use.

Gary
Anonymous User
July 04, 2010 02:39AM
It has to be an adventure in even more patience watching it come together. I am sure we will see plenty of testing at the range. db
July 04, 2010 03:22AM
Right ... and working on about five others at the same time - all totally different ... and remembering what's what is fun.

Gary
Anonymous User
July 10, 2010 03:23AM
My wife is telling me that it is my birthday present. AARP card came in the mail today. Father started laughing at me.db
July 14, 2010 02:29AM
The Yukon class is a visual and operationally powerful statement. Today, I had to visit a local custom gunsmith shop for an issue with an
English air rifle. I brought my Y58 GS along for giggles. The two expatriate Africaaners that run the shop were amazed. They had never
seen a truely big bore rifle that projected such power and artistic appeal. Then I let them shoot a few rounds in the building, out thru the
back door into a vacant lot and into a very heavy post. To say they were absolutely stunned would be an understatement. Not only the authoritative bark, but the accuracy and hitting power left these two guys speechless.....at least for a moment! (they do like to chat!).
Suffice it to say, they begged for another shooting session. Funny thing, I was "only" using .570 roundball.
If you obtain a Yukon, be ready to do some 'splainin'.
K
July 15, 2010 03:10PM
Hello Karl,

Great to hear that you are showing the rifle around, and that it's shooting well. Excellent.

Karl has the first Yukon Classic with the carved billet center section on stainless reservoir.

Link.. First Yukon 58

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2010 03:11PM by barnespneumatic.
July 23, 2010 09:30PM
stainless ,,, and carved ,,, you know whats needed now ,,,, well i do ,, so ill not mention it again .
the texturing really makes things look very smart indeed , id love to say its outstanding , trouble is it isnt ,
every piece of work on these pages should be outstanding , and if it were compared to normal things it all would be
but here , and here alone may i add , its just the norm ,,, and i really do mean just that , but in the best posible way.
its amazing to see how a simple billet is turned into a working sculpture ,
your work and pages truly inspire me , you hav no idea how many times a day i think of an article that i read on the old site
and it said , more or less ,,, once i let one piece of shoddy work leave the workshop where will it finish ,,,
so i look at what im doing , and how im doing it , and ask ,,, can i do any better..
for that , if nothing else ... thanks gary.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 09:40PM by Dyson Diver.
July 24, 2010 12:55AM
Hello Tom,

Well buddy, you've made my day. Thank you sincerely. You're an artist with a good compliment. take a bow

Gary
July 24, 2010 01:01AM
Hey Tom,

I know you will appreciate this:

Jerry's receiver is running handmade aluminum bronze compression rings. No O rings. These were made from billet stock, and hold the compression of the firing gun. Seals the transfer port and bolt/receiver interface. This bolt is a "fire thru" design ... and the rings have to cycle each loading and lock up. They seem to work a treat. First time I did it.

thumbs up

Gary
August 06, 2010 11:09AM
now thats a piece of engineering , but whatever you do , dont poist pics , i feel sure that a lot of people watch your site for ''inspiration'' and i swear i see a lot of the original features here creeping into production guns , while i love the fine pics i do understand its not wise to publish too many details , mind you , timex and rolex are 90%identical in design , its the engineering integrity that makes the difference.
August 06, 2010 02:20PM
Hi Tom,

That's one thing I always catch flak over. People have sort of snickered at me for that for 40 years. Mostly it's a "whoooh ... spies everywhere huh ..." sort of comment. However; with the internet, there's little point in me placing my innovations on the computer monitor of any Chinese engineer with a mousepad. They're the ones with the billion dollar factories and nearly free labor. I just have the bottom line machine tools that they build to ship to America's backyard garages (and my pencil - pushed by my brain).

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2010 02:20PM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021