Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Yukon Afield ... ADDITIONAL PICS

Yukon Afield ... ADDITIONAL PICS
July 11, 2010 03:15AM
We fired the Yukon 62 for the first time today.

Jerry came up for the ritual. I still had some things to do to get it firing, so Jerry cast slugs for it while I worked. The gun is not finished now - just shootable for it's field testing and function firing phase.

Around 6pm, it came time for the "First Fire" trials. I shot the gun thru the muzzler across the chrono into the bullet containment trap. Right out of the box, without one tweak or adjustment .. the rifle fired the slug for 682 foot pounds of muzzle energy.

We shot it a few times to determine the peak of it's current state of tune ... and packed up for a quick couple of hours at the range before dark.

a_Jerry_Yukon.jpg

The gun performed flawlessly in every way. Breech loads crisp and tight. Hammer, on it's ball bearing double guides, just glides into place. The two stage trigger is crisp and just the right light pull for a target rifle - yet still enough for hunting. And, it's dead accurate right out of the box.

Jerry will post some targets, videos, etc. He's on the drive home now. Drive safe.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2010 02:49PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Yukon Afield
July 11, 2010 03:25AM
Hey, WHAT's the Groom doing dancing without the Bride before the ceremony. Aren't you afraid of the bad mojo, Jerry? That has to be one of the best perks of being so "close" to the magic tree shoppe. Looks like a match made in heaven.

Kent
July 13, 2010 01:02AM
Kent,

Looks like I didn't jinx anything!
July 11, 2010 03:27AM
a_Yukon.jpg

You note things are not finished. However; I decided on a section of Spruce 2 by 10 for today's stock ... whistling

Jerry thinks it's temporary .... laughing

Gary
July 11, 2010 02:56PM
Jerry_Yukon 014.JPG

From my daz with ZZ Top. Jerry needs a level on that camera of his .... laughing again Here, I was a fixn' to put a nice pc. of Spruce timber on the gun so we could shoot it at the range.

Jerry_Yukon 018.JPG

The business area of the action.

GAry

Oh ... I forgot ... Jerry got "Scoped" pretty good firing this beast. The thing recoils about 3" or more when shot. Kicks real good. For those of you contemplating scopes on powerful guns, I got two words for you ... EYE RELIEF. Don't buy an antique Burris Signature 8 by 32. brick wall

We put the gun in the Lead Sled to do most of the shooting (afterwards).

Jerry has those targets. However; he's probably trying to see around an ice pack to post his pics. whistling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2010 03:01PM by barnespneumatic.
July 11, 2010 05:03PM
Gary,

"Right out of the box, without one tweak or adjustment .. the rifle fired the slug for 682 foot pounds of muzzle energy. "

Your luck seems to be improving with experience.wink

Jerry,

Ouch! Let's see the shiner. stunned Uh................after the groups of course.

Lon
July 11, 2010 07:04PM
No shiner, no bruise eye rolling smiley Working on video...

OK, the videos are a bit grainy and dark as it was late before we got to the range.

I can't believe Gary held that camera for shot after shot! What a trooper... surprised

Oh, the last shot in the video sequence was a UFO I shot down thus saving the planet, feel free to express your thanks with cash...

We'll have to get some more video when it's bright out. We were shooting the switchblade target and just laughing at how fast the target faces flipped. This gun is delivering serious power down range! The 1/4" steel plate on the switchblade was dented from the impacts. 1/4" steel...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2010 08:23PM by Jerry.
July 11, 2010 09:53PM
Yeah ... if you can imagine this:

Configure your fingers in the manner in which you would "flick a fly" off the table beside your plate. Then consider "flicking" the top edge of a playing card held in your other hand. That microsecond of card movement is an accurate representation of the sensation of watching the switchblade target reset from one paddle to the other when being hit by the Yulkon 62 @ 50 yards.

We'll have to move way back. I can see this gun destroying the target at 50 yards.

Gary
July 11, 2010 10:15PM
Wow! Great footage!wow
July 13, 2010 12:09AM
Sorry guys . . . was down in Charlotte this weekend and just drove back up today.

Very cool . . . OK, so clearly there's some kind of shield in front of the camera . . . what are you guys using for that?

Very, very nice rifle. thumbs up

-- Jim
July 13, 2010 12:13AM
Shield? more confused Gee Gary, why didn't you think of a shield?laughing

No shield...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2010 12:14AM by Jerry.
July 13, 2010 01:42AM
He means the extra strength plastic wrap Jerry .... whistling ... amazing how that stuff stops a bullet like Kevlar. More coffee

Gary
July 13, 2010 01:48AM
Oh ... I could keep this going. haha. Let me just remind you that .... "Jerry is not left handed". (He's one of the few customers who is not) ... haha.

Another idea!

Gary
July 13, 2010 11:16AM
I figured it was either a shield or a mirror. That would explain the impacts etc. Blue Light Special Couldn't imagine you shooting directly at your Casio.

-- Jim
July 11, 2010 10:01PM
Hey Dude ...

ya need to post my first and only group I shot off my truck tailgate.

Gary

a_Casio_Yukon_50 016.jpg

I forgot ... I hadn't loaded my Casio disc yet. I thought you had the missing pics ... then realized we had used both cameras. knucklehead

The gun made it easy to shoot well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2010 10:10PM by barnespneumatic.
July 11, 2010 10:27PM
And one last pic ...

a_eyerelief.jpg

Looks like plenty of eye relief, doesn't it?

Not so ... this is how Jerry got beaned. Amazing how much this recoils. AND ... viewing a video just a few moments ago, I saw indications that this gun is not running at it's peak performance yet. It can take more mainspring.

Gary
July 11, 2010 10:48PM
Tried a few of my new found video skills. Let's see if anything is different ....

Gary
July 11, 2010 10:49PM
Yeah - that worked. Good. I actually learned a few things for all the headaches ... hahha.
July 13, 2010 12:22AM
I looked up that scope and the current version claims to have 3-3.5" of eye relief. I'd say that was optimistic with the actual being around 2.75 or so. Even if it is 3"...that ain't enough! Or maybe I just need to toughen up my shoulder so it has less give. I wasn't being careless, I had a firm hold on that gun into my shoulder and still got beaned.

It's amazing how tossing big slugs creates recoil higher than faster, lighter slugs.
July 13, 2010 02:29AM
Yeah - and the gun was leaping off the front bag rest like a beast. Even so - when the whole world righted itself after each shot - the holes in the target stayed together.

Can't wait to get some video of the switchblade changing paddles. hahah. That was amazing.

Gary
July 13, 2010 02:41AM
I keep watching the movie, and it seems I catch a star pattern to the muzzle blast. I stopped this pic ...

It was terrible conditions due to poor light that evening - but we used what we had. It will be fun to get better pics. As of now though ... I can still see the 5 lobe star pattern of the blast in this pic. Points at about 1, 4, 6, 8, and 10 o'clock.

I have no theory.

Gary

a_Muzzle_Blast.jpg
July 13, 2010 02:44PM
Yeah - the sound of your shoulder blades slapping together behind you, was nearly as loud as the muzzle blast .... laughing
July 12, 2010 01:55AM
I'm just giggling with excitement over both the gun and video. Both are really awesome. Oh My God! I love that bullet coming towards the camera. I got to try that.. That is if you don't mind GB.
July 12, 2010 07:18AM
Dang, you did it again Gary, everything just went white and I think I just went to heaven....more innocent
That is some powerful gun. Jerry, if you ever get sick of it......
Cheers
Neil
July 12, 2010 12:24PM
Yeah ... Jerry was grumbling the whole time .... More coffee

hahah.

Gary
July 13, 2010 12:54AM
I don't think I'll ever be getting sick of it! You can always come over and take a shot or two though!
July 12, 2010 12:26PM
Yeah ... jump in there Cedric ... but, be careful ... those bullets sting! hahah

GAry
July 13, 2010 03:26AM
What a great day at the range! Your cine skills are going to threaten Spielberg. The effect is spectacular with the condensation cloud and the slug zooming in on the "camera". Nice Job guys.

Oh yea, the gun looks great too, if you like that kind of thing. whistling

That gun rocks guys. Jerry It's a long way from the camera, but I can still make out the grin on your face."festive"

I'm glad the sharing continues. These cameras are a lot of fun. What's the frame rate guys?

Kent
July 13, 2010 11:36AM
Grinning all day long! Frame rate was 420 for these. I have another idea that will use 420 or 1000 but I need someone to come through with some special material...
July 13, 2010 02:35PM
HI Kent,

Frame rate was 420. On my version of the clip, I slowed the play rate of the initial blast. Love the feathery comet trail behind the slug.

sunny

Gary
July 14, 2010 03:07PM
Definately cool video. It's kind of like those shots that come from the nose of a missile heading for impact, just in reverse. grinning smiley

I have to admit that I'm kinda surprised at the whole "hold the (scrap lumber) stock on with a twist of rawhide" technique...I thought you typically reserved that for your tape-on iron sights. winking smiley
July 14, 2010 06:20PM
awsome ,, now thats a gun , mind you im surprised it shoots as well first time without the barnes traditional bit of tin and tape sights , lol
even with a plank for a stock its a thing of beauty
t
July 14, 2010 06:44PM
Thanks Tom,

Yeah ... I think the stock really sets it off. More coffee

I should do the forestock in matching timber. haha.

I'm sure that it's not lost on you, that when we produce groups like this ... aa_Casio_Yukon_50 016.jpg ..... first time out ... with a scope that was on the shelf a half an hour ago ... a stock that's strapped on ... off a truck tailgate .... then the gun is special. The first two shots - top - were in the same hole! The third (at 7 o'clock) was a flier! laughing

That's very enjoyable.

Gary
July 14, 2010 06:52PM
oh its certainly not lost on me ,,lol ,,, trouble is that you may never get the knack of fetteling ,,,, if stuff works the first time how will you ever get the knack of fixing things ,
as ever , its a fine piece of work if it never actually did anything . its a work of art static , and an engineering marvel as it works and comes to life . fine fine work indeed .
t
Anonymous User
July 30, 2010 10:40PM
Jerry, that is one fine shooting piece.db
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021