Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Sorry Neil, there's been a delay More sad

Sorry Neil, there's been a delay More sad
July 11, 2010 08:53PM
I've run into a streak of bad luck here when it comes to what should be the simple things. Friday night I decided to cast some slugs to have handy for the Saturday shoot with Gary. I figured if the Yukon wasn't ready, we could shoot the Woodsman if i made some slugs. Great plan but poorly executed! I cast some slugs and decided to take a little drive, I added lead to the pot and unplugged it. When I returned I plugged the pot back in and went to tend to some things while the lead heated back up. I should have got back sooner...

CIMG1502.JPG
Nice mess there!

a_Leadpot.jpg

The lead had dripped out the bottom and left a hard shell across the top. The hole in the top is from me poking it with a screwdriver and hammer..

Lovely mess but not the worst of it. I discovered that this lead is harder than pure lead. The color is a clue and even though I can scratch it with a fingernail, it doesn't bend like it should. Sure enough, Midway sent me linotype lead instead of pure lead. Great, now I have a mess to clean (done as of this) but I also have to see what's been made of this and stop delivery. It turns out that Julio's order was cast with the last of the good stuff and we have a bunch of match grade Raptors that are 10gr too light and too hard sitting in a box. Darn!

The Raptors will be tossed in the box to be returned to Midway and recast with good lead as soon as it gets here (a couple days).

Sorry Neil! It won't be too long!

Now, if I can just figure out how to get my truck key fob working again....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2010 09:40PM by barnespneumatic.
July 11, 2010 09:49PM
Fortunately, my key fob is working. Jerry became obsessed with the project when I mentioned that mine had died, and never recovered after battery replacement a year ago. Well, it only took both of us and most of the tools I own to get inside, reverse engineer it ... discover what was degraded ... engineer/manufacture some aftermarket springs .. install same ... and reprogram the thing. And ... it works.

I'm sooooo happy. It beats having to crawl inside and poke the trunk button ... as well as crawl inside and poke the door lock button. What did the cave men do before key remotes? It must have been .... just awful ... stunned

I hear that Surefire is going to launch another division to repair remote key fobs. whistling

Gary
July 12, 2010 01:57AM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, what a mess. Hope you and or the kids are ok from that spill.
July 12, 2010 07:13AM
Ouch, Jerry, that looks like a serious meltdown!
No worries at this end, I have the odd gun or two to go on with, though as Gary says, it is , unfortunately, a Barnes-free zone here right now stunned
Hehe
Neil
No hurry.......hourglass
July 13, 2010 12:38AM
This one was all mine Ced. The kid's were not even home when I made the mess. Timmy was nice enough not to read back all my cautions and warnings when he discovered the disaster i had created...

Nobody was hurt until I did the clean-up. I tried to cut off the lead "wings" with a saw but that did not go well. I moved on to torching the lead off and that worked great except... when one of the big chunks fell into the pan, the whole thing tilted into my left forearm and instantly gave me a nice second degree burn about 2" long by 3/8" wide. Lost a little bit of skin too. A nice persistent reminder of the lesson learned...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021