Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Barracuda 58 Pictures

Barracuda 58 Pictures
July 27, 2010 08:40PM
I have a few pics to share. I decided to take some items farther then initially planned just to fire the gun. I figured I'd get a bunch of questions caused by unfinished components.

Figured I better post something. I've heard of anticipation ... but the forum's heartbeat simply stopped cold there for several days. I was feeling bad - checked in once in awhile for a break from the tedium of being sick. Nothing.

I think readers will wonder about the breech - and it's safety issues. Owing to the fact that the loading port must be back under your cheek on a Bullpup .... here's my treatment of same. It's thru the rearward movement of the breech, that you can use a full length barrel in a carbine length rifle. I have almost a 30" barrel here (which is a long barrel) ... on a gun that's little move than 39" total. About a meter long. Just like the average "Barracuda"! hahah.

Barracuda 002.JPG

Barracuda 001.JPG

You see a heavy slide breech - quad sealed - with a default blast deflector surrounding the loading port. You are looking at the off side here - Muzzle is to the right. The opposite side of the blast deflector is the cheek rest. The default blast deflector is NOT in case the breech would somehow fail. That's not an issue. It's in case the user should accidently forget to CLOSE the breech. In that event, the blast of air from the breech would harmlessly port 90 degrees away from the user's face ... AND ... the blast deflector would channel any residual blast wash away from the user. Any stout PCP requires ear protection as standard proceedure. With my design of the breech, to channel any primary and secondary air flow, a user might get a surprise; but would not be harmed by an accidental open-breech firing.

Barracuda 006.JPG

The breech shown closed. Note it's shielded by the blast deflector top bottom and face side. (Note too: all of this is reversible for lefties - take a bow

Barracuda 008.JPG

The cheek side. The deflector may be covered in leather for a warmer face contact if desired.

There's a few other parts I'm finishing. I'm taking it just a few steps farther than usual for a prototype's "First Fire" and "Function Fire" testing phases. There's been alot of interest in it. I want to make certain the initial exposure shows the gun accurately - rather than a bunch of distractions.

It will still not be finished when shown soon, but it will be far enough along that I can function fire it, accuracy test it ... and make any changes which might be required. While in this phase, I can get the Hagan Nitro, Rearrick Tundra, Boyenga Yukon, Butler Bison ... and a couple of other projects assembled. There's now more and more guns in the 90% complete range.

Hope you enjoy seeing this interesting prototype. BTW ... you are looking at parts of the 3rd "BLACK DIAMOND" Barnes. All of the billet in this gun will be hard color anodized.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2010 08:51PM by barnespneumatic.
July 27, 2010 08:49PM
now thats been thought about ,,, and then some ,,,, no bits of bent tin there as a deflector , nice work.
July 27, 2010 08:57PM
Hello Tom,

Hey - you were still sitting there at the keyboard? haha. Hope you had a sandwich or something ... smileys with beer Glad you like it. There's a bunch more details that you'll like, I suspect.

Gary
July 27, 2010 10:14PM
I like that the design anticipates the human operator making an error and compensates with a "no human interaction required" safety feature. Too many manufacturers rely on warning labels or repeated warnings when the whole point of an error is that a direction or warning has been mistakenly ignored...
July 27, 2010 11:41PM
Thanks,

My feelings exactly. An oversight needs a correction that doesn't require more thought than the origonal oversight would have. thumbs up

Gary
July 27, 2010 10:55PM
Very interesting. I have to admit it looks quite abstract to me now . . . will have to see the "whole thing" with stocks and trigger assembly etc.

Also . . . seems most of your newer designs are incorporating a slide breech rather than the traditional big bore bolt action. Obviously, existing designs like variations of the Justice platform and other V-Twin projects still use the bolt. Wondering if it will be a "trend" going forward? Another idea!

-- Jim
July 27, 2010 11:40PM
It's a great space saver for certain applications. A bolt action takes up a lot of space. On something where traditional lines are desired, a long bolt action can be in the wrong place. On a gun like this, you wouldn't want a bolt cycling out in back of the butt stock ... haha. Perfect for certain applications.

Gary
July 28, 2010 12:48AM
mmmmmm bullpup!

been away a couple days....No Internet surprised

oh, the horrors!!!!

anyway, looks cool thus far...and I am obviously interested in ALL bullpup developments - haha
July 28, 2010 01:26AM
Hi Joebill,

It's going well. I had a couple of other things to take care of (like this little micro-burst that tore up the patio a couple of days ago - wierd). Today I took an hour and stuck brake pads on the front of Kelly's van - cause I'm soooo tired of being ripped off. The place that just robbed me to fix the A/C wanted about $300 ... and painted this dire picture of my family going ovwer a cliff and bursting into flames. And, of course, the rotors were smooth - no scarring - no waves - no hot spots. I've been hearing that crap for 40 years and I'm SICK of it!!! rant

So - anyway .... I put the valve into the reservoir tube earlier. Had some family in from Arz. on a military duty - hadn't seen them in years - took an hour and drove to my Son's place. Might get back into the shop yet. Might get it pressurized tonight yet. Can't wait to shoot this thing.

Gary
July 28, 2010 06:22PM
Can't wait either Gary! That breech sure looks safe and sturdy, and nice as well. Hard to imagine forgetting to close it but I guess you have to idiot-proof these things, especially when they're that much closer to the face...
Cheers
Neil
Anonymous User
July 30, 2010 10:28PM
Your imagination never fail's to impress me. Almost like a combat shotgun. Perfect for hog hunt.db.
July 30, 2010 10:50PM
Thanks Don,

I'm glad you like it. I'll be interested to see how it feels on the bench. I've always liked front heavy bench guns, but there's always chatter about these. I think someone actually now makes what they market as a bullpup sniper design in firearms. Not sure how that worked out - but I seem to recall a mention of same in an NRA magazine.

I've kept my power estimates conservative. I'll get back to it in a few days.

Thanks for commenting.

Gary
Anonymous User
July 31, 2010 03:19AM
Hi Gary, I really like the design so far, the breech design is a beauty. I was wondering if you would go with a bolt design or sliding breech. I was pulling for the sliding breech design and you surely didn't let me down. Can't wait to see it in action.
July 31, 2010 02:29PM
Thanks Joe,

This takes up the least room, and struck me as perfect for this application.

It will look totally different when I sculpt the wood some.

Thanks for the comment,

Gary
August 03, 2010 06:33PM
Safty frist is always good. That is why I wanted the breech aft of the shooter. And after looking at what you have here I think the breech opening is better as you have it with a 90 degree turn to the right for a righty. I do like a bolt to push the round into the bore and to set a shot load with the wad snug in the bore. It is so hard to coment on what Gary makes, other then WOW ! WHATS NOT TO LOVE. To hold a GB is to have a new state of BLISS !
PS What do you folks think of scout scopes on bullpups?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2010 06:38PM by The Mad Rabbit.
August 04, 2010 02:27PM
Hello Rabbit,

Got your notes - thanks.

Regarding a sort of "set back" stock, with a normal action installed ... it could work, with mods. It might have the look of a shoulder fired Gernade launcher though. I honestly don't know how stable it would be. When the center of balance is that close to the center of mass, the thing sort of wants to spin on the axis. Any error you make at the muzzle, is duplicated at the breech (behind you).

This Bullpup design was my thought on the subject. It is, however; a lot of work. It has a great amount of billet and careful machining. Not an inexpensive design to build. Sure works a treat though.

thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021