Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: FIRST PICS ... Raw Barracuda 58

FIRST PICS ... Raw Barracuda 58
July 29, 2010 03:32AM
a_Barracuda.jpg

The gun is holding pressure here. There is a list of things to complete before "First Fire", so; I've not shot it yet.

a_Barracuda1.jpg

The stock is just two dimensional at this point. There will be quite a bit of molding which will bring it to life. There are many compound curves that will give it movement. The gun has about 20% of the presence here, that it will have. In this pic, the breech is open - you see the billet slide cover connecting the cheek pc. and scope rail.

a_Barracuda58.jpg

a_Barracuda58_raw.jpg

It's been a lot of work. And, I can't work on it for a few days now. I'll get back to it. Wanted you to see what I've been pleased about. It's going to be an exceptional pc.

a_Barracuda_back.jpg

take a bow

Remember - the entire gun is only about a meter long. I'm sure it will produce 600 fpe. we'll see. The butt stock can be extended between the billet and wood ... and that point may end up "shock loaded" with springs. That decision will come after initial field testing. I didn't want that variable in the mix at the start.

Gary
July 29, 2010 05:29AM
Hi Garry,Very funky piece,Very nice even at this stage.Just looking at it it would have taken some nutting out.The hammer appears to cock back which would require some interesting porting' or is the hammer in backwards for the photo shoot.Good to see people thinking outside of the square,You truley are an Artist.Danny
July 29, 2010 01:55PM
Hello Danny,

In the pic, the hammer is cocked. (Spring group not yet installed during trigger tuning).

Glad you like it. Thanks.

Gary
July 29, 2010 12:23PM
OK . . . I get it now. smiling bouncing smiley Man, that's awesome. Can't wait to see it shoot. 600 fpe you say, in that little format? Yikes. I saw you mentioned "shock-loading" with springs, and was wondering about recoil myself. I learned that Rigby puts mercury-filled tubes in the buttstocks of their big game rifles to offset some of the shock transferred to the shoulder. drinking smiley

I wonder if you get sick of hearing that you can do stuff no one else can do . . . nah, you don't. wink Excellent, excellent job.

Bet that will be kill-city on Kent's woods walk.

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2010 12:24PM by admin.
July 29, 2010 02:00PM
Hello Jim,

Glad you like it. Yeah - it's just a little plinker. whistling

The mercury would act like what's called a "dead blow hammer". Where there's a moveable weight that travels with the head. Once the head strikes, and before it can recoil ... the weight catches up and applies a second strike to cancel out felt recoil. Good application. Rigby might catch on yet ... hahah.

This is shaping up to be an exceptional pc. Can't wait to fire it. It just wouldn't be hurried though.

smileys with beer

Gary
July 29, 2010 06:16PM
That is one special gun Gary! Did someone say Kent is getting that? At least it will get some useskeet
Cheers
Neil
July 29, 2010 09:03PM
Hello Neil,

Glad you like it.

No owner has been discussed here. Jim mentioned Kent's wood's walk. The gun might be at a weekend shoot later this year which Kent is hosting.

Can't wait to get it into the field!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2010 09:13PM by barnespneumatic.
July 29, 2010 07:51PM
very cool !!!!
excited
hot smiley
Anonymous User
July 31, 2010 03:26AM
Gary, I like everything I see. The stock is going to be sweet with the thumbhole pistol grip design. Plenty of area for carving too. Get that puppy booming man, I'm excited.
July 31, 2010 02:31PM
I'll have a nice hard cap on the pistol grip bottom.

Coming soon.

Gary
July 31, 2010 03:43PM
As always WOW !!!!
Can't wait to see what to see how you finish this one.

Joe
July 31, 2010 05:35PM
I wonder if scales are in the mix?
July 31, 2010 08:50PM
Jerry,

No ... but the HEMI is installed. hahah.

Gary
August 06, 2010 11:00AM
love it , the whole butt pad area looks so futuristic and techi like a modern sniper rifle ,
August 06, 2010 02:14PM
It is Tom,

I had that beamed in from the 24th century ... eye popping smiley

haha.

Gary
August 07, 2010 02:50AM
Have you decided how the color anodizing will go? Basic black is always appreciated but you probably have something more creative in mind...
August 07, 2010 02:09PM
Hi Jerry,

I have a multi-color scheme in mind.

Yeah ... basic black. Looks nice. But it seems like such a waste for all the work. Your Prairie III would also look good in black. But ... it's pretty nice as it is too.

I have a few ideas. ;?)

Gary
August 10, 2010 05:39AM
Let's see, what color are real barracudas? (the fish that is, not the 60's hotrods). Would it be silver and blue/green? Is it going to get big teeth since it's already got the attitude?grinning smiley And what's the logical nomenclature for the next in the bullpup lineup I wonder. The Pirana, or the Shark, or the Marlin, or..?

Or would that mean that the .25 version would logically have to be called the Goldfish or the Guppy or something like that?winking smiley
August 10, 2010 02:33PM
No ..... it would be a "Guppy MAGNUM" .... knucklehead

hahah

Gary
August 10, 2010 02:34PM
BTW ... you are very close on the anodizing. thumbs up Good job.

Gary
August 10, 2010 11:45PM
I think the DRAGONSKIN scheme would be cool, only with different shading, so it could be "fish scales".

"My" Bullpup to be was envisioned as a Gemini class variant - not sure what it will "ultimately" become

Since it WILL be smaller, if we stick with the fish theme I'm voting for Piranha !
August 11, 2010 01:24AM
That is a good idea Joebill. It would look neat. However; for this ... this is a ton of machined billet alluminum. As you know ... anodizing is the process for aluminum .... and the dragonskin was a multi-layer enamel effect. I want this to have the silvery/shimmer of the anodized colors.

Don't forget now ... if the Doc thing doesn't work out ... I can find some work in the "effects shop" or something for you. You work well with elves ... right? Pipe smoker

Gary
August 15, 2010 06:51PM
polish it , its alloy , its meant to be polished ,,, like stainless steel ,, mmmmmmmmmmm stainless steel ... oops
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021