Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Got a shot off

Got a shot off
August 01, 2010 06:09PM
The other day some fellow on another site was suggesting that his new .308 would be good for deer and another fellow was suggesting that while he had killed hundereds of deer with low power guns, it was still a bad idea...

Now, the discussion was one of those silly internet things but a comment about shooting ice peaked my interest. I've done that before but decided to do it again. One of the reasons was that the stated power of the .308 was pretty close to what the Woodsman makes. I pulled out the chrony and some bottles full of ice and had a go. Turns out the Woodsman actually makes a fair bit more power than the guys .308 but it was still a decent thing to video...

I found that the Woodsman was making 224 FPE with the 115gr slugs and 298 with the 177gr slugs. Personally, I think a well placed shot with either slug will put down Eastern deer no problem but the ice had to be shot.

It's neat how the ice ejected from the bottle seems to "flow" just like liquid water would. I'll need to see if that slug is lying around...
August 02, 2010 01:12AM
Nice video, thanks!
August 02, 2010 02:02AM
Good show Jerry.

Hey - getting 300 fpe out of the Woodsman's 32 insert ... you've been buying aftermarket stuff again .... haven't you? ... haha wink

GAry
August 02, 2010 02:10AM
Nope, no jet assist pellets here! I'm going to have to do some more chrony testing though. The 298 FPE shot was the second shot on the fill so I think I have my hunting fill dialed in. I'll stick to lower fills for the target shooting though, 3000-3200 puts the Bishops on target to at least 200 yards... smiling smiley
August 02, 2010 07:43AM
Neither Eastern deer nor bottles of ice will ever feel safe againgrinning smiley
Some nice figures there Jerry!
Regards
Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021