Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Excellent range session - 58 Cuda

Excellent range session - 58 Cuda
August 02, 2010 09:39PM
Took the 58 Cuda for some function fire testing at the range field. All went very well. The pics explain themselves.

I also have a bunch of video clips that I'll do later.

thumbs up

Cuda - Range 003.JPG

Cuda - Range 007.JPG

Cuda - Range 009.JPG

Cuda - Range 012.JPG
August 03, 2010 01:54AM
Well, after 13 views I'm going to jump in and notice those are great groups! Looks like the 'Cuda is working great. And, hey, you don't even need the good stuff to shoot 100 yard groups!
August 03, 2010 02:18AM
Hi Jerry,

Thanks. I'll send you a buck for commenting ... thumbs up This stuff is just "expected" ya know. take a bow
August 03, 2010 02:21AM
Oh ...

Takes a bit longer than one group to get used to a gun. Especially one that's trying to toss you off before 8 seconds ... haha.

I was pretty pleased with that 100 yard group. Since it was THE 2nd group the gun ever shot!

Gary
August 03, 2010 06:59AM
Well, what is there to say...3 shots touching on the first ever 100 yard group? Sheesh, it must get boring when perfection is always so close at hand....gotta say, Gary, take a bowGreen bowingtake a bowGreen bowingtake a bow
Those 100 yards slugs, are they a Lee mold with a hollowbum? And are you saying there's just a little bit of kick with this puppy?
Amazing stuff, congrats,
Neil
August 03, 2010 02:26PM
Hello Neil,

Hey - I have to send you a dollar too! Thanks for the comment. We watched all the names come and go last night, say nothing, and figured I'd done something awful here. Glad you found it interesting. Loved the chorus line of tipped hats. haha.

Yep - my life is a bowl of cherries alright. You nailed me. "festive" At least the guns shoot when they are complete.

That is a standard Lee mold. A 58 caliber - hollow base. Mine weighed 457.6 IIRC. They shot well in the first Yukon years ago. Figured I'd cast some up for the range session yesterday.

Yeah .... the gun has a bit of a punch to it. Managable. I need taller scope mounts though. The cheek is a bit of a tight fit on the blast gaurd. And - hey - I shot the gun a bunch ... never blew my head off once! Green bowing

Gary
August 03, 2010 02:23PM
Gary, that gun really likes to push some lead! I think most would mount that paper plate on the wall and retire the gun for fear of shooting a group less than spectacular.

I did notice that those whimpy 331grn slugs were moving almost 900 fps. Just barely enough time to recover from the blast to hear the lead slap some steel / flesh / melon etc. must have been a blast.

Thanks for sharing,

Kent
August 03, 2010 02:34PM
Hello Kent,

You caught me slummin' here on the AR., when I should be in the shop. haha.

On the first fire testing, I ran those slugs 920 with a bit more air. At the range, while I took the chrono, I never got to it. I set the regulator for 3,000 psi at the range, and did my testing. I sort of recalled the velocity from the night before.

I had a "battery rodeo" with the Casio camera. I thought I had a fresh charged set of re-chargable batteries. The ones in the camera showed nearly dead. All the walking back and forth between the camera at 100 yards, etc. So; I popped in the other set. And ..... the camera wouldn't even focus. Dead. So; I put the first set back in ... set up for the burst water jug at 100 video. Got it running and went back to the bench. The scope is sighted in for the 8mm, so I didn't want to screw it up. I'd figured the "hold off" on the paper targets. I quickly judged and shot ... and just missed the jug. So, I quickly got ready and shot another. Perfect shot! Looked wonderful!!! And ... you got it ... the camera died right after it recorded the missed shot. So; I recalled I had some new cheappie batteries in the war wagon. I hiked back - feeling like Lewis and Clark by now ... and got a set. Set up again ... new jug ... ya-de-da ... shot again ... and didn't make as fine a hit ... but I still have the video. Got some muzzle blast from the side too.

Gary
August 03, 2010 06:06PM
Gary, did you measure that 100 yard group? I thought it looked around 0.8" or 0.9"ctc?
Regards
Neil
August 03, 2010 06:40PM
Hi Neil,

No - I didn't. It's on the wall in the War Wagon. I'll measure it for you. thumbs up
Gary
August 03, 2010 09:46PM
Hi Neil,

You're a good guesser. The paper is torn, but it looks like about .88" or .90" ... thereabouts. Surely under MOA. nowthatIthink

Gary
August 05, 2010 05:14AM
Hey Garry,That cuda shoots as good as it looks.Thats astonishing for the first time out and with Lee slugs,Way to go.Danny.
August 05, 2010 02:14PM
Thanks Danny,

I was all smiles. You bet.

smileys with beer
August 03, 2010 09:07PM
yowza!!!

even early on, things are looking good "festive"
Anonymous User
August 04, 2010 01:11AM
Man that's sweeeeeeet, great groups, good looking airgun, and a bi-pod to boot. See you were shooting those multi-colored pie plates,errrr targets too!!
August 04, 2010 02:12PM
Yeah - must be why I've been craving pie! Thanks for pointing that out! haha.

Gary
Anonymous User
August 06, 2010 01:09AM
That is an impressive tack driver. Perfect for the sugar cane field's. And a big pig.db
August 06, 2010 10:49AM
looks sweet , i never expected a burger box to stop those slugs though ,,, lol , it still has lines that hark back to the savanah , non the worse for that ,,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021