Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 100 yrd group off single fill

100 yrd group off single fill
August 15, 2010 06:56AM
Finished off this 9mm carbine a while back. I wanted something a bit bigger than a .30 that I could keep the air up to with a hand pump. It’s nothing outstanding performance or design wise but a nicely balanced gun that will take a red deer out to 150 yrds. I initially had it running 260 fpe with 183 grn spitzers but didn't have enough air to balance three primary shots off a single fill and the first Deer I shot with it the slug passed through with little immediate effect. So I tuned the gun to run these 175 grn rf slugs at about 218 fpe. They aren’t as accurate as the 183 grn spitzers which I could all but shoot a three shot single hole group off a single fill at 100 yrds but are a lot more effective on the animals than the pointy slugs.ar2.jpg
Went out last weekend after some tuning and shot this .520'' group of a single fill. Admitedly one of the best groups for this slug but having said that this slug will give 1.5'' three shot groups at 100yrds every time off a single fill.ar4.jpg
This gun has one of my typical snappy action short duration valves so is quite efficient on air,I can get 5 good power shots that can be placed fairly accurately at 100 yrds.Hope you've enjoyed. Danny.
August 15, 2010 06:07PM
Nice looking gun Danny, and a very impressive group! Sounds like the red deer won't be safe with that kind of accuracy thumbs up
Cheers
Neil
August 15, 2010 08:01PM
That's a good looking gun that shoots great. Looks like you got the tuning just right for a couple follow-up shots and the accuracy to rarely need them, well done.
August 16, 2010 01:12AM
Post like this just remind me of why i love this HOBBY/SPORT.

Great post and shooting to boot.
August 16, 2010 02:11AM
Looks nice. Good group. You're gonna have the "wood police" after you though. haha.

Gary
August 16, 2010 09:31AM
Thanks guys,The wood police should'nt be too worried. I used some Elm on this one which I milled off a friends farm about ten years ago with an Alaskan mill,I've also milled out some interesting fruit woods from around here as I live in an fruit growing region.The Apricot wood is real nice.Danny.
August 21, 2010 10:09AM
Nice looking rifle. Ought to get the job done just fine. I don't honestly get any better groups with my hunting .308 powder burner, and that's with factory match ammo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021