Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Sunday Range - Barracuda Targets - More Pics Added

Sunday Range - Barracuda Targets - More Pics Added
August 23, 2010 12:17AM
Barracuda - 8-22-10 014.JPG

I put another scope on the Barracuda today. What was on there yesterday didn't suit. The elevation wasn't working out. It also was about a 13 year old scope with no mil-dots. I had a customer give me a scope recently. It didn't suit his usage - and he wondered if I might like it. So; I gave it a try here.

Barracuda - 8-22-10 001.JPG

I decided to set the regulator for an even 3,000 psi, and get on paper with the Barnes 331 grain 58 slugs.

Barracuda - 8-22-10 002.JPG

Here's a quick 50 yards. I set that for the cross hairs.

Barracuda - 8-22-10 004.JPG

Then I saw that 75 yards only needed two mil-dots.

Barracuda - 8-22-10 006.JPG

And 100 yards only required the top of the post. All without touching the scope again. The sighter shot was to try the bottom mil-dot. It was just a bit low. So, I decided to try the top of the post - immediately under the mil-dots. Very easy to aim. It's placement was good. So - I tried another. And then another. The bottom doubled! So ... the slug will fly and the ballistics work very well with this fast slug. I turned it up to 3,300 psi so it should have been around 900 or so fps then.

Scope works well - although it's really hard to find a head position that allows a clear circular sight picture.

Barracuda - 8-22-10 011.JPG

The breech design is sweet. The cocking lever works perfect. I think it was Neil that asked before about the trigger. It's a sweet two stage. I really like the rifle. wow

Gary

thumb.jpg Hey - the thumb is healing under all that dirt. See - it works. haha.

Shop_Range 044.JPG

Jerry tries shooting the Barracuda in the dark. He says he hit a firefly he was aiming at! haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2010 02:55AM by barnespneumatic.
Anonymous User
Re: Sunday Range Hours
August 23, 2010 12:37AM
Sweeeeeet, very nice. That rifle has the look of a mixed bag of ancestors. To me it has the look of a military heritage, but then it also looks like a unique modular design. I look again and it looks futuristc to the the point I wouldn't be surprised to see a pulse of pure energy being released when the trigger is pulled. I do know I want to shoot that badboy very, very bad.
Re: Sunday Range Hours
August 23, 2010 02:50AM
Hello Joe,

It does have a "stun" setting. That seems to happen to the shooter, when the trigger is pulled. haha.

It's amazing to me that it is this accurate. Shooting from a Bipod is not always the best accurate position. It can be - but things have to be right. This is. However; the gun seems like it leaps off the bench when you shoot it. But; when you recover the sight picture in the scope ... there's the hole in the target ... right where it's supposed to be!!

You can't watch the slug hit. The recoil causes you to loose the sight picture.

Someday, I will turn it down to a civilized fpe, and see how it handles. haha.

Regarding the look: the way I decide to finish it will make all the difference. I can see several ways in my mind's eye. 1). An anodized camo of black, grey, and silver. Muted. The wood with pebbled grip areas and a low luster finish. The stainless with a fairly rugged brushed surface. 2). The various billet parts color anodized several different colors. Some black. Some a tri-color blue/silver/green. Some polished and left bright. A finer brushed stainless. The stock with a higher sheen, and a bit of special effect carving details. 3). The billet with a sort of scotch brite finish. The wood dark. A few deep accent color pcs. anodized. Either a dark rich blue, or a maroon. Just a touch. The wood a darker hue. 4). The pimped out polished everything, with brighter colors. 5). A "Road Warrior" type of finish throughout. 6). A "Zen" theme. Textured metal surfaces. Darker hues. Bronze colors.

And, those are just a few off the top.

Gary
Anonymous User
August 23, 2010 03:02AM
I'm glad your the one making that decision, I can visualize each description in my minds eye and they all look good. Although I'm leaning to the "Zen" theme.
August 23, 2010 03:04AM
Wonder who will suggest a matched, cased set of all of them together! nowthatIthink Wouldn't THAT be a treat! haha.

Gary
Anonymous User
August 23, 2010 03:28AM
Now you've just run my imagination into overdrive. That would definitely be a prize of prizes in anyones collection. A complete set of Barnes Barracuda Bullpups to choose from and absolutely no runts in that litter,haha.
August 23, 2010 06:15PM
Gary, it's not half-bad looking even like it is! The possible finishes though are a little mind-boggling......I think I'll go for number 4, the pimped lookcool smiley I'm jealous the Jerry gets to play with thoughmoody smiley
Gary, what is the solution for the scope?
Cheers
Neil
PS I see it's still shooting OK
August 23, 2010 07:46PM
Hi Neil,

Yeah - Jerry gets beat up all the time for being here occasionally. He's completely heartless though. No point in trying to guilt him. haha. Must be that pilot training. Those guys are all made of ice ya know. smoking smiley

Regarding the scope issue. The solution, as I see it, would be to charge enough for my work to pay the bills AND buy a real good scope. However; I'm thinking of mounting several of my shop scopes on each gun ... in a cluster ya know ... and then average a consensus of the images, divide by Pi, and go from there. scholar

This scope adjusts well - stays put. It's just very hard to get the image. Hey - it's probably all that junk in my neck ... won't let it figure eight ... haha.

Gary
August 23, 2010 07:53PM
So, we have Joe with a #6 and Neil with a #4. Always interesting to hear choices and reasons.

Thanks,
Gary
August 31, 2010 03:32PM
I'd say do the whole thing up in fire-engine red or hot pink or something like that. Make sure that it'll attract attention. It's so short that you could lose it down in the gunsafe otherwise. winking smiley
September 08, 2010 08:44PM
glad to see your keeping that thumb clean ,,,, tut tut
September 08, 2010 11:02PM
Hey Tom ...

You saw the final result (on some thread ... somewhere ... haha). It's all healed and as smooth as a baby's bum.

You want to hear a new story? Today, I had more epidural injections. They were very painful today - for some reason. Whatever. Well, I was home resting, and not feeling as chipper as I had before hand. I heard the phone ring. Excited voices. Then Kelly calls up to the office and tells me to get to Jodi's as fast as I could. One of the boys has cut themselves badly.

Now, her husband (or Son) just shipped out Tuesday for Korea for a year.

So; I beat it up the road. Calling halfway there to get more info. And, the next couple of hours went by. "Bryce" went to the hospital to repair a cut finger. His twin has retrieved a can from the trash. A Pepsi can. Looked pushed apart like it had frozen. And that left a cupped razor edge. Somehow, he'd managed to slice up his brother with it!

Well, the story comes up because ... you guessed it ... they got to tthe emergency room ... waited ... went thru the process .... and .... wait for it .... and .... "they glued it closed". Just like I've done for 36 years. hahaha.

So; I'm back home.

Gary
September 09, 2010 11:19AM
Hah! Guess you can always open your own ER if the airgun biz doesn't work out. wink injured hot smiley

-- Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021