Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 58 Yukon II - at the range

58 Yukon II - at the range
August 31, 2010 04:42PM
This last weekend I found a break and went to the range. I brought with me the Yukon II. This is a .58 caliber air rifle capable of shooting a 450 grains slug at aprox. 840 fps and the .57 round ball at aprox. 960 fps. It’s a powerhouse.

Here you will find pictures of my best groups of the session; they were shot at 50 yds. Usually I start shooting at 50 yds and then I move to a 100 yds. Last Saturday when it was time to move to the 100 yds, I noticed that I was low on air so on my next trip to the range I will start at 100 yds to show you how accurate this rifle is. 100 yds is the furthest that I can shoot at this range.

You will notice that on one of the targets the slugs didn’t made clean holes, the reason for that was that the backer was a mess. Anyway the pictures explain by themselves.

I included a couple of pictures of the Yukon II, but they don’t do justice to the beauty of this rifle. Maybe Gary has other pictures that better shows its presence.

BTW I’m Julio; I do live in Puerto Rico, a tropical island in the Caribbean that yesterday was almost whipped out by Hurricane Earl. We are ok, was a close one. Now we are getting ready for Tropical Storm Fiona.scared
DSC00863.jpg
DSC00861.jpg
DSC00862.jpg
DSC00859-1.jpg
DSC00860-1.jpg
August 31, 2010 07:35PM
Nice shooting Julio! BTW, you should have some new slugs by now.

Thanks for taking the time between storms to post!
August 31, 2010 09:58PM
Hello Julio,

Glad you are OK. Glad the storm didn't make a mess for you. I heard on the radio today, that much of the island is without electricity. I'm glad to see you have power too. Good job.

The pics look good. The groups are really fine. Nice shooting!

The wood looks like it's continuing to get richer and richer. Excellent.

I see your secret on the bench (those oatmeal power bars ... yummmmm) laughing again

Thanks for your post!

Gary
September 01, 2010 02:48PM
Now Julio .... we've really got to get you a brass, leather, and stag bi-pod .... hahhaah. More coffee

Gary
September 01, 2010 04:31PM
Are there any post production upgrades available for the Yukon? I got a few in my wish list. Starting with the cup holders…rolling happy smiley
September 01, 2010 08:11PM
Hello Julio,

You should have recieved your glossy catalog of accessory items and retrofit options. If not ... please keep checking the mail for it. whistling

Then, there are the "replacement slugs" which can be ordered, in the event the origonal ones are "shot" .... laughing

Gary
September 01, 2010 09:03PM
Hey, if there is one thing Julio knows cold, it's where to get replacement slugs! He's a shooter! Green bowing
September 01, 2010 09:09PM
Hello Gary,

I still got the original box with the invisible slugs that came with the rifle. Last Saturday I tried to shoot some of those and guess what…
why me
Anonymous User
September 01, 2010 10:40PM
Very fast for round ball. What grain are they Julio? db.
September 01, 2010 11:32PM
I believe that they are 280 grains. I use Speer and Hornady in .57 caliber.
Anonymous User
September 02, 2010 06:11AM
Sweet Julio, you gotta love those Yukon rifles, fine tuned powerhouses!!
September 02, 2010 12:34PM
Hi Florida:

This picture was taken a while ago.
DSC00366.JPG
September 04, 2010 02:32AM
Jim,

I also shot 203 yard groups with this rifle (alluded to on the page you linked with the Bison) ... do you know where those pics are? Was a 200 yard group with the 4X Simmons scope in the Yukon II. Nice group too.

Gary
September 04, 2010 08:13AM
Unlike some (most?) of us, the rifles getgrinning smiley better looking with age.

I think he's dosing his roundball with secret "speed oil" at the range. See the container right there next to the rifle? winking smiley

Must be using the laser-guided ones too!
September 04, 2010 09:46PM
Sure ya did, Gary . . . sure ya did. wink

I'll have to look for that later on . . . have been having fun fishing wires thru an insulated wall all day and am absolutely filthy. not lookin' good

-- Jim
September 08, 2010 08:41PM
some fine shooting , from my fave barnes gun , , simply stunning
Anonymous User
September 18, 2010 05:06PM
Soon you will have some friendly shooting competition on the big bore. I can't shoot 100 yard's, but can do 50. The 45 caliber I have is accurate at that distance. But as soon as I recieve my Yukon, I will be sending the picture's and will be sitting in a tree stand. Julio have you hunted with the Yukon? db
September 20, 2010 11:38AM
Hi Florida,

No I haven't hunted with the Yukon. The rifle is extremely accurate and powerful. I'm sure that it would take down any of the larger games in the USA.

With this same rifle Gary took down his buffalo, with one well placed shot.

I can guaranty that when you receive your Yukon, you will enjoy hunting with it. That's for sure...

Julio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2010 11:41AM by Julio.
September 20, 2010 03:57PM
Julio,

Nice. Those slugs track perfectly, they punch nice clean holes.

Glad the storm didn't cause you too much trouble. I remember one year I had my plane tickets to Kent's IIRC and a hurricane blew through Miami 2 days prior to my departure date and shut down the airport. They are a PITA at best.

Lon
September 20, 2010 11:10PM
Lon,

Yes we were lucky this time. The thing with these weather systems is that you never know when they are going to hit you and how hard the hit is going to be.

A few years ago Hurricane George gave us a direct hit as a cat 4 hurricane and we were without energy power for almost a month and a great part of the island was without water service for almost the same period.

Julio
Anonymous User
September 24, 2010 01:34AM
We feel your pain and i am glad it missed you. Julio what pressure are you shooting at? Don.
September 24, 2010 03:30PM
Hi Don,

I'm using 3,100 psi and normaly I use it connected to the cf tank. At this set up this rifle will give you two good shots and a third one at half the power.
Anonymous User
October 02, 2010 02:59PM
Julio, thanx for the info. Do you you know what the maximum fill pressure is? The reason I ask has to do with this helium issue they are talking about. db.
October 02, 2010 04:48PM
Don, yes the way it's set up right now the max. fill pressure is 3,200 psi.

I'm also intrigued by this helium alternative. Let's wait for someones report to see if they validate what's being said.

Julio
Anonymous User
October 03, 2010 01:53AM
I agree you about that subject as I am very skeptical. Also as Gary state's 6000 psi!!! By the way Julio,i am glad those storm's are staying away from ya.db.
October 03, 2010 03:41PM
Hi Don,

Just to clarify ... you can fill to any pressure from a 6,000 psi tank. Doesn't mean you run that pressure. You could, technically,"feather the valve" and top off the gun ... stopping at your pressure. The safer, recommended way, is to run thru a big tank regulator set to the psi you want to fill.

BTW ... the big Nitrogen tanks are available commercially, and they are filled to 6,000 psi too. The guns run exaxctly the same off of Nitrogen. As, breathing air is 78% Nitrogen IIRC.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2010 03:42PM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021