Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: War Wagon

War Wagon
September 10, 2010 12:19AM
The War Wagon has been a huge help to my trips afield. There's a lot of testing required to proof the guns I make. It requires a lot of things like the chronograph, cameras, tripods, targets, tools, projectiles, sizing press and dies, shooting bench supplies, bags, spray paint, tape, and on and on.

The idea to press my box trailer into service, was a fine one. I stuck a toe into the water by making everything so it could easily be removed. The shooting bench is on rails, the wire rack bench could collapse downward. It was all a test run.

The test run became an ongoing test run, and the lack of planning piled up. The tubs and plastic shoe boxes full of stuff on the floor all started to run together. And, the temporary shelving units began to give up. Driving one wheel of the trailer up over a curb at the end of the alley a few weeks ago did a number on the shelves. Ripped most of them out of their mountings.

The fact that I'm invited to a small shoot in October, gave me the momentum to correct the issue over the last Holiday weekend. The morning started with a breakfast at Denny's. Followed by a trip to Lowes. A cut station was set up in the driveway beside the War Wagon. Thank God for tools like the great 12" Radial Chop saw Kelly gave me for Christmas several years ago. And the pneumatic nailers I've collected over the years. They make quick work of simple woodworking.

War Wagon 002.JPG

War Wagon 003.JPG

War Wagon 004.JPG

War Wagon 008.JPG

War Wagon 017.JPG

Things were planned out around those cheap clear plastic shoe boxes. They make good general containers. The doors fit tight and are sliding 1/4" birch laminate plywood. I have now drilled 1" holes in each door for a finger hole grip/handle.

Most things are now installed cleanly in labeled boxes. When the doors slide closed, the stuff should be secure.

All pretense of temporary is gone. I even installed a master "plug" box on the front of the trailer to plug in my very heavy extension cord and make the whole trailer "hot". The coffee maker shelf is there for my beloved cheap drip coffee maker withOUT the cursed 2 hour cut off that some fool managed to get 99% of the coffee maker builders on the planet to adopt. Cheap coffee, cheap coffee maker, always hot. By Golly ... I might just move in there ... who knows ... I might have to if the economy continues to respond to the loving care of our leaders.

Well, wanted you to see that I'm still keeping the business healthy. You all DO want these guns tested now, before I ship them ... right? nowthatIthink hahah.

Gary
September 10, 2010 12:28AM
There's the coffee center above the cubby for the trash can.

By golly, now I just have to install one of those electric room extension bays .... laughing
War Wagon 009.JPG
War Wagon 011.JPG
September 10, 2010 01:33AM
That's just too fancy! Is there no end to the gear it takes for airguns? laughing
September 10, 2010 02:04PM
Yeah - now THAT's the business. Selling the GEAR it takes to participate in any sport. haha.

Although, to be fair, there's a vast difference between taking something out to shoot a few rounds, and proofing something you've made from scratch and are adjusting.

Still, I don't know why more people aren't converting box trailers all over the world. I mean, I've shown the way ... scholar

hahah.

Gary
September 10, 2010 03:59AM
The only thing missing is a bed, a microwave oven, a cooler and you can stay overnight on your shooting outing.

Excellent job!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 04:01AM by Julio.
September 10, 2010 01:45PM
Hello Julio,

You know - that's crossed my mind a few times. And, I have all that stuff too. Those air matteresses are pretty cushy. nowthatIthink

I might have to pull it a bit farther South though .... starting to get cold here in the evenings. haha. But hey - there are Walmart parking lots all over the South .... whistling The price rollback campgrounds! haha

Gary
Anonymous User
September 10, 2010 04:18AM
Well the war wagon appears to be turning into a sweet shop, where are the doughnuts, just kidding, great job,
Hey I gave up on trying to find a coffe maker that didn't have the cut off. Just bought a Mr. Coffee with the stainless insulated pot, works good too, hot coffee for 5 or 6 hours that isn't scorched.
September 10, 2010 02:00PM
Hi Joe,

Yeah ... you note that every manufacturer on the planet all get the same memos. "There will, henceforth; be NO WAX in spray wax products". "There will, henceforth; be no alcohol in alcohol wipes". There will, henceforth; be no more hot coffee, after two hours". Few things ruffle my feathers more than this stupid lockstep global manufacturing scheme.

Walmart still has cheap $15-17 coffee makers without the cursed 2hr. cut-off. I should buy a dozen of them and squirrel away with my incadescent light bulbs .... Ooooopps .... whistling

Gary
September 10, 2010 04:50AM
Gary,

Nice job, it's always great to make an improvement like that that will provide many returns. The shooting bench is the portable and just opens up at the back correct?
September 10, 2010 01:50PM
Hello Lon,

Actually, no .... the portable bench is something that has been in my way since I built it. It held the back of my pick-up hostage for two years until I put it in the top of the shop. In the War Wagon, I put runners on the walls, and then cut a sheet of nine ply 3/4" plywood into the shape of an "F" that leaves two voids to belly up to, with the guns on the horizontal bars of the "F". Plenty of room for two shooters. The bench is solid, and can slide fore and aft to load things, or be slide out altogether if wanted. A section of PVP stands vertical under the lower bar of the "F" extended bench top, and makes the whole thing nearly rock solid.

Gary
September 10, 2010 12:42PM
its nicer than my house , but if your gonna spend time , spend it in comfort ... quite right too.
September 10, 2010 01:53PM
Hi Tom,

Yeah - it's a nicer shop than my shop benches are. Bummer. Amazing how rolling semigloss white latex over everything in sight makes it all new and fancy. One of those little four inch rollers and you can "make white" really fast.

Gary
September 10, 2010 07:39PM
Thank you Mr Gally, I taking prans to my factory in Shanghei bowing -- Far Eastbowing -- Far Eastbowing -- Far East

Nice work, the War Wagon has suddenly become luxurious!

Regards

Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 2
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021