Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Catch 22 - Time and Techniques ...

Catch 22 - Time and Techniques ...
September 12, 2010 06:52PM
a_TimberWolf_Muzzle.jpg

After 36 years at your craft, you might find that you can do far, far more things than you have the time to do. That's when the clock starts ticking louder and louder for an artist. I'm not under any illusion that I'll be here forever. So; do I carve something that strictly can do without it? Should I engrave something that can stand to remain plain? Should I acid etch this detail? How about an inlay? Hard color anodize of just polish? Smooth grip or stippled? Endless choices. Even to a simple knob or cyclinder part ... should I add a few rings, returns, microbead, texture? I could literally go on for some time.

Some of you know me, so you make your own decision: Is he just full of himself and bragging ... or is he laying out some facts relevent to the business? My "off time" has always been used to learn more. I find it intriguing. I like to know how techniques were accomplished. And, decade after decade, it piles up. So; at this point, when I'm 55 years old .... I've mastered quite a few techniques. Most of them I hardly use because it's so long in between when they are called for. There's so much I have to do to prepare for their appropriate usage.

The above muzzle cap, wasn't really required - a simple barrel clamp would do fine. The long stock was not required. A shorter forearm would do well. You get the drift. So; the question is ever present ... "What's the prime directive?" Make as much as simple as possible, and sell it to as many as possible? Certainly not. It's more like ... "Leave an interesting body of work, and as many satisified customers as that will allow". I guess that's the best I can do. But there's endless stress associated. Now, you might say that's not the Walmart credo. But then, they have a few more people than myself alone, and; in the end, who will remember any of their products in a hundred years?

I give away countless details, and always have. They're strictly not required. Often weren't requested. I add in things as an appreciation for longsuffering patience. Or for intermittent patience, sprinkled with muttered grumbles. But I often do so in order to leave a more interesting artifact.

I type thru stuff like this post, just so you occasionally think about the atmosphere that makes up my days. "Stick to the plan!" It's all that's required, and mostly all that's wanted. But that dumbs down the final result, zip ties the hands of creativity, and squeezes out the compounding of skills practiced over decades.

One of the things I've been working on, has been this Timber Wolf. Of course, it's grown in complexity, as all projects do. I've not been pure to the initial concept. I'm not sure if the initial concept can be accomplished on a one off - custom manufacturer basis. The prototype itself complicated everything, when it blew all projections of performance out of the water. From a purely consumer standpoint, stripped down high performance products would be neat. Thing is, high performance usually comes from detail added.

I could strip out quite a few things from this build. But then; friction, wear, and intermittent performance would result. It might start out just fine. And, if barely used, it might do well. But, I still couldn't sell it for a small number. And, for that number ... people would not expect friction, wear, and intermittent service. So; I've added in the details which create high performance with longevity.

I decided not to finish the thing first, and then try to decide how to aim it. You can't just strap on a nice clickless Leupold scope on there, ya know? whistling haha. So; I thought it over. I've added several anchor points for a variety of user choices. When nobody is looking ... you could clamp on a Simmons 4X shotgun scope ... put a bag over your head ... and enjoy a range session of shooting. However; since the design just screams out to 1863 ... it needs to be able to handle a tube sight, or long scope. The Malchom reproductions look great. But I don't have the spare coin for the scope and front and back mounts. So; I piddled with my own. And, it will clamp on and off. It can carry a tube sight, or a repro scope. And, I hope that having one more thing done by the rifle's builder, will one day make this rifle even more outstanding.

a_sight_parts.jpg

a_sight_frame.jpg

a_sight_elevation.jpg

That rod to the left, is threaded. And, it threads into the traveling clamp's lug. That was a handmade and heat treated Barnes tap which made those optical threads. It adjusts extremely precise, and locks down.

None of this was required. But I knew how to do it. And, I figured I could stay in the shop until late at night doing it, in order to put it into the record. It's not complete. I don't have the time now. But I will. Who knows if I'll ever make another one ... but I did once.

Time to eat some more Walnut on the Nitro project. Pics later. coffee

Gary
Anonymous User
September 12, 2010 10:16PM
Gary
That sight is gorgeous not super fancy in appearance but definitely beautifully made. Like a finely leather bound book, the craftmanship is outstanding. Thanks for sharing.
September 13, 2010 06:03AM
Gary,

I'm liking it!

The period guns are a favorite of mine.

Lon
September 13, 2010 02:20PM
Very nice work there Gary. I expect plenty of requests in the future!
Anonymous User
September 18, 2010 05:23PM
Truely unique piece, let me guess. You where sleeping and in the middle of the night you had a vision, got up and put it on paper right!!!!! db
September 18, 2010 06:02PM
Hello Don,

Thank you for commenting. I sincerely appreciate it.

Actually, you are about 90% correct. Sounds odd, doesn't it? That's another catch 22. People are intrigued that I can do all of these things. However; the details of "how" I do them sort of comes off as fantasy and cocky. But; I've never been any other way ... so it's normal for me.

winking smiley

Gary
Anonymous User
September 19, 2010 02:15AM
In my opinion, not much on this site is in any way normal. Everything is beyond average and cannot be duplicated. Just my opinion.db
September 23, 2010 01:58AM
Gary:

Beautiful work as always. I have to agree with Lon regarding the "period " look. This is going to be one fine rifle.

Karl
September 26, 2010 03:46AM
Did I miss out on a thread where you can see the rest of the rifle? Some days I wonder how I can remember anything at all.....more confused
September 29, 2010 03:24PM
vintage ,,, looks like it should have been made a hundred years ago , but its right bang up to date with detail ...
simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021