Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Nitro Express Progress - DETAIL PICS ADDED

Nitro Express Progress - DETAIL PICS ADDED
September 13, 2010 04:51PM
Previous pics - working on the 46 Nitro Express Stock.

Nitro 002.JPG

a_nitro_stock.jpg

a_inlet.jpg

Nitro 009.JPG

Nitro 010.JPG

Nitro 012.JPG

I'll have more pics later today. Coming along nicely.

Walnut dust ... yummmmm. hahah.

Gary Green bowing

Nitro 015.JPG

Nitro 013.JPG

Nitro 019.JPG

Nitro 021.JPG

Nitro 026.JPG

Nitro 028.JPG

I add these pics Monday Evening ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2010 12:30AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Nitro Express Progress
September 13, 2010 05:04PM
Hello Gary:

This one is looking good. I've always liked this model. It's impressive how much work you have to do within the stock to fit the air gun in it. Those are the things that are there but no one appreciates because they are in the shadows.

What is that at the bottom of the pistol grip?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2010 02:34AM by Julio.
Re: Nitro Express Progress
September 13, 2010 06:26PM
Hello Julio,

That will be the hard cap for the pistol grip. It's shaped now, and will be shown in the next batch of pics.

You are correct. The guns are made up of mostly "shadows". It's only the few highlights, on the surface, that attract all of the attention. ;?)
Most of the work is never seen.

Gary
September 14, 2010 01:41AM
Gary:

This stock is looking gorgeous. The magic is in the details...

I would like to learn that technique. Yes, the one that you draw something in the stock and later you find a carving exactly following the lines of the drawing ... Just kidding.
September 14, 2010 03:01AM
Hello Julio,

Ah .... which one do you think is the more important one .... drawing, or carving?

bowing -- Far East
September 14, 2010 11:31AM
Carving looks great Gary. thumbs up

Hey, who's that skinny guy in your shop holding the stock? eye popping smiley

-- Jim
September 14, 2010 03:36PM
There are a lot of things I can do. But finding the hidden carving in a piece of wood, I'll never be able to do.
Gary, your skills are awesome! wow

Scott
September 14, 2010 04:55PM
Thank you Scott,

I appreciate it. Boy - wish I could do more of it. You laid your finger on it .... finding it in the wood. Recognizing what would fill a panel. Seeing how it should flow. That's the spark you're born with. And, you also nailed it ... you can do other things. And I'm sure you do them to a very high degree of proficency.

Gary
September 14, 2010 08:29PM
Nice work Gary! It's true that we only get a snapshot of what is involved in one of your creations. It is easy to forget about the hard yards that go in behind the scenes.take a bow
Regards
Neil
September 14, 2010 10:32PM
Hello Neil,

Thank you. That's true. That's a hard one for me to deal with too. I believe people assume that I'm off golfing or fishing, if I don't post visible progress each day. The reader to reader interaction never developed here. Nearly no spontaneous posts. Between my posts, you can hear a big echo in here. So; I feel compelled to post something. I really don't care to share all of the details of my designs, so there's only certain processes I can show. And ... there are a lot of yards between them, as you point out.

So; I sometimes think it might interesting for folks to read what I think about the processes ... or about what it's like. That's usually a huge bust. The echo doubles.

We're pretty much "long completed passes" oriented. And, the "touchdowns" are best. (Gosh, I love anologies ...grinning smiley ). What we really want is more touchdowns, more touchdowns, more .... LOL!

Well, anyway ... I'm off to run two yards straight up the middle. ;?)

Gary
September 29, 2010 08:01PM
thats sweet , can i ask , does the wood move much once its machined , i see the fit of the working parts to the wood , and its spectacular , fits like machined steel , but , what happens as you oil the stock , or as it relaxes from being worked , or is it just an on going battle till one of you gives in .
thanks t
September 29, 2010 09:11PM
Hi Tom,

This is my expereince, and opinion ... which is what you asked about. So; it's not my intention to step on anyone's held beliefs. (Good Heavens ... I sound like a politican .... more innocent

Wood is always moving. I fight it often, because I plan things too close. I machine them too close ... then I have to set them up again to take juuuuuust a ssssmidge more off. That's a pain.

Thge simplier way is to make everything way over sized, and then "bed" it in epoxy and put in hard points in the form of "aluminum rod pillars". I read about that the other day, in a magazine, and thought there for a while that they'd cracked the science of cold fusion. WOW ... NOT A GLUED IN ALUMINUM ROD!!!!! Who'd have thought of THAT?? eye popping smiley hahahaha.. laughing again

Anyway ... I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to making work for myself.

Gary
October 02, 2010 08:25PM
thats just so so true , but you love it , well love it or loathe it , its your way and thats it , you woodnt ,,,, pun intended , , be happy any other way .
thanks
t
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021