Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: News Item: Passing of Fred Liady

News Item: Passing of Fred Liady
September 19, 2010 01:46PM
I got an e-mail this morning, from Burke May, notifying me of the passing of Fred Liady. Fred was an avid collector of airguns. He also produced the Roanoke, Airgun Show, in Roanoke, Va.. Some years back, when I first got into building, Fred purchased several guns from me. He had not chosen to stay in touch over the years since, so I had no news of him until this morning. When Fred decided to discontinue collecting, perhaps eight years ago, Dr. Beeman purchased the bulk of his collection. Fred retained his Barnes guns, at that time. I have no idea what remains today.

I've been told that his widow, Dee, will sell his remaining airguns at the show this year. That show is always in October.

Now, the details that, sadly, must be mentioned. I am not a broker for these guns. I mention this as a courtesy to the estate. As you all know, I'm up to my eyelashes in customer obligations, and my own health issues - which cannot be ignored. So; I am unable to identify, detail, recommend, proof, and or repair anything that may be required at this time. I hate to mention it, but if I didn't make this clear; I could spend the next month sorting out the details of people's curiosity, or new purchase.

It's with sadness that I learn of Fred's passing. Long ago, we shared some interesting discussions. God Bless his family.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 01:46PM by barnespneumatic.
September 19, 2010 02:31PM
Some information that just needs to be covered - wish it didn't.

I didn't want to put too much detail into the above announcement. There are, however; a few issues that come up several times a year. It might be helpful to mention them. They are never popular, but they are factual.

This is a small, small, small business. It's often thought, because my guns command a price, that I'm probably rolling in the profits. No so. There's too much time involved for there to be serious profits. Therefore; there is simply no time to stop and do all of the nice things, that people would like me to do. That seriously applies to guns that I've previously made, which people acquire from other places.

If you don't think it through, then it might be easy to assume that I should be "standing by", ready to jump in and service, repair, or talk through anything and everything that might ever come up regarding one of my products. That would start with over 1,300 custom handmade pocket knives. Would also include an enormous amount of custom handbuild furniture ... dating back to 1974. Jewelry, wind toys, carved glass, ironwork ... It's simply impossible. Well, surely; when someone passes, you could make a special effort. Unfortunately, with 36 years involving thousands of clients, work is always surfacing.

The next point is that of people who find items here and there. The first assumption is that I might be extremely excited to have the opportunity to tell them all about their new find. What's the operating pressure, what varieties of ammo does it take, what's the ammo size for each, what's the operating proceedure. How do those sights adjust. Why doesn't this thing want to move. Why does it hiss when I try to fill it?

What I get into is the fact that you have a pc. I have not seen forever. I've never had it back to maintain or service it. It's probably been in a case for ten years of more. And, after I'd spend a week getting it all spruced up again, for a couple of shots; it would go back into a case for the next ten years. Each pc. I've ever made becomes a competition for my time and income, with every other pc. that I will ever make. As I have unexpected bills to pay, I may have to produce something to generate the income to pay them. If I don't pay my bills, nobody gets anything. That income producing new item, goes into direct competition against everything else that's changing hands. If someone chooses to purchase elsewhere, then there's not even a minimal profit which I can draw against to help them with their purchase. It's expected, but it's unrealistic.

This sort of business is unlike anything else. Retail is moving boxes of goods around. You get them in, and send them out again. The stuff is designed to be used up and tossed away. My stuff remains. That's, at once; a blessing and a curse. There's not enough profit in it for me to have a team of guys "in the shop" while I sit in the office and talk on the phone all day. I am the guys in the shop, and the phone is in direct competition with me getting anything accomplished.

So; that means that we're on our own? No - definitely not. What you purchase, I service. Even though the profit was small - you bought it from me. Now, as time passes, and I haven't heard from you forever; I don't know the condition of anything, you've not chosen to stay in touch, or participate in anything else I've tried to get going ... there might be a small charge for breaking into what I'm already working on. There's also the situation where I have personally repurchased my own work I previously sold. Some condition made that reasonable for me to do. And so; I go over the pc. I proof the pc. I probably reseal the pc. and touch up the finishes. And then, I offer the pc. for resale ... at a small profit. The profit is for my work, and for guaranteeing the pc., once again. But then, that reconditioned pc. cost more than this one that I can get off of the net! That's right. And, I can't afford to drop everything and recondition the one you just found, and do so for nothing.

Those are the realities that can't be avoided. Unpopular and unavoidable. I can mention them here once, or type them out forty times seperately in e-mail responces.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 02:32PM by barnespneumatic.
September 21, 2010 06:38AM
You shouldn't even have to mention that your time is worth money, it's the most basic tenet of craftsmanship. Don't feel guilty that you have to lay out what can and cannot be expected of your shop given your current workload.

When I buy a used car, I don't expect to be able to take it back to the factory for a free overhaul before I start driving it.
September 21, 2010 10:57AM
Thank you Gary for passing all of this along.

For those who may be interested in attending the Airgun Show, it is October 22nd and 23rd at the Roanoke Civic Center in Roanoke, Virginia. The hours are 12 - 7 Friday and 9 - 5 Saturday.

Mrs Liady is sponsoring the show this year in memory of her husband and his love of airguns. It is my understanding that several of the vendors are helping to organize and run this show for Mrs. Liady. I ask that all who can attend please do so in order to encourage the continuation of this event.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021