Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Stock Oils Baked in - Complete

Stock Oils Baked in - Complete
September 19, 2010 10:52PM
Worked last night, and today, applying, rubbing, baking in the stock oils. Worked out pretty well. I like it.

Wish I had a whole bunch of them, I'd like one myself. ;?)

Gary

a_TimberWolfStock.jpg

a_TimberWolfStock2.jpg

a-TimberWolfStock3.jpg

a_TimberWolfStock4.jpg
Anonymous User
September 20, 2010 03:06AM
That's sweet Gary, wish I had the funds to make an offer on that one. I'd buy it in a skinney minute, that's definitely a fine hunting airgun if I ever saw one.
September 20, 2010 04:01PM
Gary,

That did turn out great.

I had always wondered how you produced such a nice finish and then you mentioned the baked in oil a few years back.bowing
September 20, 2010 05:37PM
Thank you Lon,

I like this process because it is a stock oil finish. The oven does accelerate the drying time, and thus allows me the chance to keep progressing on a project. It also does away with the variations of climate - day to day - which alters drying time for oils.

I've also been extremely pleased with the way this finish ages. It becomes mellow and smooth. I've yet to have one degrade.

Glad you like it. Wish I needed about forty stocks right now - it would mean the actions were complete. haha. Working on that too.

Gary
September 20, 2010 06:04PM
Very special Gary! That rifle will have big game animals enchanted by its beauty.....but only brieflyfudd
Is the baking process a one-off or do you bake it several times?
Cheers
Neil
September 20, 2010 08:05PM
Hello Neil,

Thanks.

I bake it between each coat. Then it's hand rubbed with very fine steel wool, cleaned, and the next coat is applied ... repeat. When the grain is filled, and then some, it's done. Usually, about 5 coats.

Gary
September 20, 2010 09:12PM
Gary,

Who ever gets that stock is going to be one lucky person.

Keith
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021