Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Long Range Targets

Long Range Targets
September 25, 2010 12:30AM
If these post - I'll add more. Forum wasn't letting me post again, just now.

Take a look. 8mm very heavy slugs. Late this afternoon.

Nikon_SlugTesting 020.JPG

Nikon_SlugTesting 022.JPG

Gary
September 25, 2010 12:40AM
The 150 yard target is just under 1", and the 169 yard target is 1.1" C/C. That's the very long spitzer nose with a twin tail. About 185 grains IIRC.

Gary

Nikon_SlugTesting 009.JPG

Nikon_SlugTesting 018.JPG

The 8mm "Shop Mule" gun from back in January, will be completed for a ledger customer. It will be named the "Priarie Hawk" because it resembles the Prairie Class of guns, and was designed to be a long range sniper platform. I've been trying to scale the Barnes Bishop in 8mm. That slug has been deadly accurate for over a decade now in a couple of versions of 32 and also 45 and 46 calibers ... but I just don't have something right yet for the 8mm.

It's fast ....

Nikon-PrairieHawk.jpg 011.JPG

But I just can't get it right yet.

Nikon-PrairieHawk.jpg 018.JPG

Showed promise ... but not when the long Torpedo slug is punching them out like above.

You can burn thru a few days, and just miss that tiny, tiny clue that's not yet right.

But ... that long heavy slug for the long range power projection is dialed in. I've even had the scope off the gun for months. I had it on other guns. I just made a note of the "clicks" I made to it for the other guns. Yesterday, I clamped it back on ... read the note on the War Wagon wall ... clicked it back as noted .... dialed in my tape strip for this slug .... and punched the above groups.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 12:51AM by barnespneumatic.
September 25, 2010 01:46AM
Gary,

Congratulations for those excellent groups. I've being doing a lot of shooting at 100 yds lately and it is tough to shoot a good group even at 100 yds.

I can only imagine how difficult it must be to accomplish those groups at over 150 yds. Does the slug reaches that distance with enough energy left?

Julio
September 25, 2010 02:12AM
It certainly does retain alot of energy. When you shoot a heavy shug, it sheds it's energy much slower than a very fast slug. That's why the old black powder single shot rifles did (and still do) shoot to extremely long distances, when they start out at a third of the velocity of modern firearms. They shot a 400-450 grain slug ... and it retained it's energy.

I suspect your question is tied to a question of velocity, and the expectation that you can go get a sandwich while the slug is in the air ... haha. You don't notice any upward aim, and you don't have to hang around waiting for the slug to get to the target. It's simply not an issue.

From the very beginning, I posted excellent pics of groups out at 100 yards. Many of those guns shot their heavy slugs at about 650-750 fps. They worked wonderful.

This heavy 8mm slug flies about 825 fps at max. velocity. Tonight, I wasn't shooting it at max. I was using 3,600 psi instead of 4,000 psi, to conserve some air. I also had it set for the Bishops, and just switched to the long slugs. It didn't know it was shooting long distance.

Gary
September 25, 2010 02:15AM
BTW ... I did the gun and slugs, so that's where the effort was. Actually, tonight I shot one group at 150 yards and one group at 169 yards. Those are the ones shown. So, I didn't cherry pick those from dozens of groups.

Gary
Anonymous User
September 25, 2010 04:28AM
Super nice groups, love the 8mm bullets, they are super bad on game animals. You also got my attention with a reservoir pressure,of 4000psi. That is a big step up from what I have been use to seeing you do. Why the increase with this particular gun Gary. My instincts are because your pushing long heavy bullets through the 8mm bore.
September 25, 2010 01:41PM
Hello Joe,

This is a total departure from any gun power plant I've made before. The gun creates a short burst of power, and then goes to rest. It's not like running my normal mechanism at 4k psi.

This gun was a test bed for various barrel calibers and twist rates. I've tested many different slug designs thru it. The targets from last evening are the proof. It's quite a pc. And, because of that, it was graduated from the obscurity of a test tool to what it deserves.

Thanks Joe,

Gary
September 26, 2010 03:40AM
Those are some very nice groups, I couldn't do any better with my Browning in .308, even with the Gold Medal Match stuff that it likes. The inside of the war wagon is also looking quite well turned out, very light and bright inside considering it's a closed trailer.
September 26, 2010 05:00PM
Hi Sean,

I've learned something else ... at least ... I think I have it nailed down. Whatever part of the system that I do NOT make, will bite me - sooner or later. I've suspected my regulator was funky for some months. I finally tore it down and rebuilt it. But - I think it might still be messing with me.

I'll leave the range with a tank that the regulator claimed was down to 3,400 psi. Put it on the compressor next day ... and have it tell me it had 4,000 or more in it. Of course, just to keep me guessing ... the tank had been warm.

Then, I'll get bullets stringing vertical. Indicating velocity change. But - the same bullets will print a tiny, tiny group one day. Followed by another tiny, tiny group ... followed next day by .... stringing ... why me

I'll turn the pressure down ... take a few shots to expell the higher psi from the previous setting .... and then shoot. And, the mechanism won't trip right ... indicating it has too much internal pressure.

I've just put this all together in the back room, over dinner and sleep. That thing is messing with me. I have a plan of bypassing the reg. and hooking direct without an intake valve either. We'll see. I have something I must do first. This stuff takes soooo much time to sort out. And ... I can't tell you how many times the problem has been the last thing you'd ever suspect. The splitting atoms goes fine ... it's an extension cord with a broken wire inside somewhere that ruins the day. eye rolling smiley

I'll be back.

Gary
September 27, 2010 08:50AM
so many little things that in their own are a pain , get two , and no clues where the two probs lay , and you dont stand a chance at anything ,
thats the sort of sods law thing that makes those 150 groups even more outstanding ,
well done , its medal winning stuff in most circles , here its a taste for must sort out a couple of things ,
its ALL in the details
thanks for posting the pics
September 27, 2010 12:58PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021