Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Long Range Two

Long Range Two
September 28, 2010 03:28AM
I've had quite a chase thru a number of variables recently, regarding barrels and slugs. And, it finally turns out that I was being back stabbed by my bench regulator. It was not giving a consistent re-fill between shots. Some were low - some way high. I'd leave the range, after shooting one psi, and go to use the gun days later and find much more in it. Results gained at a given psi on one gauge, didn't duplicate when checked against another tank gauge. It's been maddening. More so because I have so much work to do. It's not been just a few wide targets, it's been making entire new barrels and new molds, and casting a thousand slugs, and multiple trips to the range. You can't have people wait a long time for this work and then have variable that you can't explain.

And so; this evening, in the rain, I finally found the answers. Through a bunch of prep work, I duplicated the perfect slugs. I made sure the lead alloy was pure. I isolated the gun from the regulaor. Matched tanks to the shooting pressure desired. Filled after each shot, and then let the tank open for a series of shots.

In the end, I found that the regulator was the one factor, when plugged into the equation, which threw everything out of balance. Once again, THE only thing I did not make in the equation of Gun design, barrel, power plant, bullet design, bullet mold, sizing die ... and air source ..... it was the irregular air source (due to bench regulator) that got me.

Here's what happens when it's right. Two groups shown. The one with the yellow card is 1" @ 150 yards. Pic of dial caliper in the War Wagon after dark. The splinters are for Julio. The slug just blows right thru two inch framing planks at 150 yards.

Gary
Molds_Range 022.JPG
Molds_Range 024.JPG
Molds_Range 027.JPG
Molds_Range 038.JPG
Re: Long Range Two
September 28, 2010 06:04AM
Niiiice! Nice when you isolate the cause of a problem, and nice when you shoot groups like thosebowing
Cheers
Neil
September 28, 2010 03:38PM
That had me chasing my tail. I'd shoot a trophy group or two ... then the next time, everything was out the window. Maddening. Look at me ... stunned ... you can see I'm a wreck! winking smiley

But, I've got it now ... skeet

Gary
September 28, 2010 04:15PM
Hi Gary,

You always giving the eeeeeeeextra mile. pushingarock

Splinters,OK, sometimes a picture say more than a thousand words.

Julio
September 28, 2010 06:47PM
You bet. Oh ... you asked me about the redesigned intake valve. That has nothing to do with the performance of the gun. Only in how it "breathes".

Gary
September 29, 2010 03:19PM
love it ,,, typical though , the one thing you cant control. at least you have it well sorted though gary.
its nice to find solutions.
Anonymous User
October 02, 2010 02:50PM
Good power at 150 yard,s. I have interest in power at long range with accuracy and will push the Yukon as far as I can.db.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021