Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Another Waimate visit here in NZ

Another Waimate visit here in NZ
September 28, 2010 05:53AM
I’ve been a bit quiet lately, not much airgunning or posting about it. But Craig from Waimate got me going again, organising a day of big bore range shooting and hunting for Saturday a week ago. A welcome break from shaky Christchurch (1212 quakes since the big one and still counting).
I drove down and by 10.30 am met up with Craig and Vin. Craig took us to the Waimate Pistol Club, which has an excellent sheltered range with knock-down steel targets set up at 25, 50, 75 and 100 metres.
Photobucket
Photobucket
We had a good play sighting in the guns. This is Vin getting the 909s on target, while Craig and his son shoot a few targets with Craig’s .22.
Photobucket
I got the .50 cal sighted in and knocked a few steel rams over at 100 m.
Photobucket
In the afternoon we got kitted up and headed for the hills. Here's Craig and Vin in camo, with the bush we headed to in the background.
Photobucket
Unfortunately, it wasn’t ideal hunting weather, as there was a very strong Nor’wester, but we had a great tramp up through steep bush and saw plenty of deer and pig sign. Once we got to the top of the bush we could see across the valley to the neighbouring farm, and around 500 yards away we spotted 4 deer, 2 reds and 2 fallow. Here are the two nice reds, grazing lazily...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Unfortunately, we had no permission to hunt that farm (I think Craig said it is a game park) and had to forego the option of trying to stalk them. It would have been quite a mission anyway, as we would have had to go back down into the valley and up through dense bush to get anywhere near them.
We hunted around the fringes of the bush and saw only one deer, a white-tail, which eluded us. The mist started to come in, and we made our way down the hill back towards the cars.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Craig left us to continue hunting with his boss, Robert, while Vin and I, knackered by now, headed for home just as it started to both get dark and hail/snow.
We may have come away empty handed, but it was a great day out and good to catch up with Craig and Vin again.
Cheers
Neil
September 28, 2010 12:50PM
Hi Neil,

That looks like a great day. I'm glad you got out.

Boy - that looks like a couple of tough characters in camo ... eye popping smiley ;?)

Beautiful landscape ... wow.

Thanks for posting.

Gary
September 28, 2010 04:38PM
Hi Neil,

It’s good to see you and your buddies having a good time. Thanks for sharing with us those beautiful pictures of your country.
Certainly you do live in a beautiful place.

Julio
September 30, 2010 03:00PM
Neil,

Great pictures! I missed this post the first time around, glad I went back through them.

NZ looks like heaven on earth.

Lon
October 01, 2010 06:41PM
Thanks guys. It was a nice time in some nice countryside. Now I just need to bring home some bacon...or venison!
Cheers
Neil
October 01, 2010 07:19PM
You'll get some next time!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021