Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good Luck ...

Good Luck ...
September 30, 2010 07:46PM
Those flying sheets of steel did NOT take my head off. eye popping smiley See ... some of you think I have nothing but bad luck ...

I was sitting here, an hour ago, at the keyboard. I had a small bowl of Safeway popped corn here to reward myself for all that stinking steel sanding I've been doing all day.

When out on the lawn, there rose such a clatter (the sound of about sixteen steel drums tumbling down a flight of concrete stairs!! scared .... I stumbled to the window ... to see what was the matter!!

Ah! I say to no one present, could it be yon sheets of roofing steel which remain as the only thing left from my carport destroyed in last Winter's storm? Probably.

And the rest of the pile on the remaining car port roof, was waiting to decapitate anyone coming up the sidewalk. And Kelly is out. So; I went out in the rain, set up a ladder, and figured I'd put the weights back on the remaining sheets of steel roofing. The things are 25 feet long and about 3 feet wide. Quite a sail. Of course, the ladder conflicted with the fence ... and the angle was too steep. So; I put it on the other side of the fence and climbed up. Nice and clam now. Hummm. And, all that heavy wood must be put back on the stack of sheets.

I went back down, grabbed the sheet in the yard, and stood it up on end against the roof. Nice and calm still. Hey - maybe it's all over. I climb the ladder again. I grab the sheet and lift it as the breeze starts .... and builds ... I set it back down .... and builds again .... I hang on to it tighter ... and BUILDS AND BUILDS ... the heck with it .... I let go of the thing just as two more sheets raise up like demented dragons and sail over my head. The whole mess lands across the clothes line - bends double ... as the ladder decides it's been nice long enough. The right leg decides to sink into the yard .... and we all began to proceed to the right ....

I was reviewing my life ... and was up to the fifth grade ... when one of the heavy pcs.of timber which had weighed the sheets down (ineffectually) ... came by. Or ... did I come by it? Well, no matter. I grabbed it and hung there at about 49 degrees .... and slowly clawed my way back along the roof edge. Once down the ladder ... the thing leaped at me .... narrowly missed my car under the carport ... and crashed into a tangle with the fence.

I then happily dragged the whole mess out of the way. And put the weights back on the stack.

So; SEE rudolph And you expected the worst ... hehehe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2010 05:50PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Good Luck ... nowthatIthink
September 30, 2010 08:28PM
Hi Gary:

That was a close one! Who said that you are having bad luck?

Does this event had to do with the bad weather that is all over the East Coast?

Julio
October 01, 2010 01:19AM
Hello Julio,

Tried to answer you earlier. Internet has been going in and out all evening.

Yes - just rain and stormy weather here - occasional gusty winds. Nothing dangerous. We're fine.

You have mail. Kent ... you do too. Pics.

Gary
October 01, 2010 04:40AM
Gary,

I saw the weather system went from Miami all the way up to your place and I swear I was wondering if you were getting some of it.

I think back to my younger, wilder days and cringe about some of my close calls, most self inflicted.

Glad we still got ya...........should I say it...yeah.........hanging around.whistling

Lon
October 01, 2010 06:38PM
Gary, when we describe someone as lucky over here , they are "tinny". Seems you were tinny not to be "tinned", among other things!
Cheers
Neil
Re: Good Luck ...
October 01, 2010 07:35PM
shivers...!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 33
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021