Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Parts, Progress, Carving, Aliens

Parts, Progress, Carving, Aliens
October 06, 2010 01:00AM
Lots of things moving forward thru the shop. Here are a few snap shots ....

a_PencilScroll.jpg

Penciled in ...

a_RcvrTimberWolf.jpg

Nearly complete now. A few more passes to refine and create the proper contrast. It will take on more richness when correctly finished.

a_RcvrTimberWolfBack.jpg

The back ...

a_parts.jpg

Parts for several rifles prepared for hard color anodizing.

a_bolstercarving.jpg

Bolster - relief carved ...

Gary (I was just kidding about the Aliens)
October 06, 2010 01:28AM
Hi Gary:

All those carved parts are looking awesome.

And a bunch of parts in the anodizing line up. Great!

Just to know; What happens to a part that you anodize it and it doesn't show the expected color or finish?

Its there a chance to reanodize it or you have to start all over and redo the part from scratch?

Julio
October 06, 2010 01:53AM
Hi Julio,

It's very difficult to do a part over. Depends upon the part - as to how close tolerances are. The anodizing can be removed ... but it takes a layer of aluminum with it. Therefore; you can't redo threaded parts or closely fit parts. Generally, if it goes poorly, I consider it ruined. It's a process that you want to pay close attention to. It's not really universally understood. However; it makes the parts very durable ... and the finishes are extremely colorful and durable.

Gary
October 06, 2010 01:54AM
a_bluing.jpg

And four tanks of bluing ...

a_stock.jpg

And some stock work ...
October 06, 2010 04:31AM
Neat compilation of the skill sets you have perfected over the years! artist Always a treat to see some of the intervening steps.

Thanks for sharing,

Kent
October 06, 2010 06:17PM
Gary,

That is an amazing amount of work, I don't know how you keep it all moving in a co-ordinated fashion.bowing

Now that I'm fooling around with the lathe I have even more admiration for the work you do. Each part, even the simple ones like my spacer require so many operations. You can describe it, show pictures of the work in progress but you really won't understand it as a spectator.

The knife is spectacular! It's a real pleasure to be associated with you and get invited into your shop.artist

P.S. Hey! Where is the alien?alien

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 06:18PM by Bigbore.
October 06, 2010 07:42PM
Thank you Lon,

That's very kind of you to say.

Guess what I've been doing? One of the thorns in my side. Hunting supplies. By the time I find what I need, I cherish the supplier. And then, next time I need to order ... they are gone. I just did a net search ... yes ... the whole thing. I think I talked to most of the net too. Finally found "Arthur" ... who saved my bacon.

I'm up to my eyebrows in anodizing (that's the highest hair on my head anymore). It became time to seal the first batch of dyed parts ... and ... and, I open my pot of sealer ... it's all evaporated, moldy, gloppy, totally disgusting. And ... to take the cake ... my supply to mix up another batch was found to be degraded and dryed up this morning too. It's like a conspiracy ... scared ....never fails ... it will be THE one part of the equation that I don't control that will bite me in the buttstock every time.

So; I've called several places on the net. Been switched to a bunch of people who don't exist. Even got one place that asked if you knew your party .... and said, for example ... "Ruth Jones - formerly Jenny Brown" ... or "Sally Smith - formerly Barry Nixon" ... and I wonder just what in the heck is going on at that place!!! why me

Got one place where it seemed someone wondering by had just answered the phone. They knew nothing at all. Next place everybody was already gone at about 3:15pm. It's amazing. How do any of these places survive??? Heck, I worry that I don't get enough done. You call anyplace else, you get the cleaning lady or voice mail. Amazing.

So; I have some product in the mail ... hopefully ... if Arthur is on the ball. He seemed to be. He even told me to save my overnight postage money - that it was coming from Baltimore - an hour from me.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021