Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Movie - Tough Steel with Class

Movie - Tough Steel with Class
October 10, 2010 07:27PM
October 10, 2010 07:40PM
This blade is handforged from forgewelded tool steel wire. Called "Wire Damascus", it makes a really superior blade.

I made the steel, the blade from the steel, and heat treated it. You note the "acid etched overlay" on the blade. All of the blade looked like that - mirror polished. Then, I paint on the design with a resist varnish. The blade is acid washed in ferric cloride which eats away everything that is not covered with resist. That leaves the design standing proud of the background (which is the entire rest of the blade).

The mechanism is one I designed around 1997. I call the design of the knife my "model 97". I've made them in regular tool steel, stainless tool steel, and damascus steel.

For those of you who don't know, I was awarded the rating of "Master Bladesmith" in October 1983 by "the American Bladesmith's Society". I was the youngest man to ever get the ranking. There were quite a number of strict requirements that had to be met. Of course, edgeholding (which is a factor of heat treating) was one prime category. Welding Damascus steel was another.

This is the reason that, today (and for decades past), I've been able to make many of my own specialized machine cutters, and heat treat them to cut steel, and even tool steel. Wish I had time to make a few more knives ... but there are simply too many demands on my hours. When I take time to make one, I enjoy it. They are more rare than they used to be. In all, since the first professional knife ... I've serial numbered 1,312 individual knives, since 1975.

take a bow

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2010 07:45PM by barnespneumatic.
October 11, 2010 02:12AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2010 03:59AM by barnespneumatic.
October 11, 2010 04:09AM
I thought I was hard on my tools!knucklehead Neat demonstration of fine steel and craftsmanship. It's a wonder you have any hair on your body at all.

What would you think the Rockwell number would be for the blade? Does shaving the cold rolled give a hint or is there another testing process?

Were you the guy they gave the steel ball bearing and the rubber hammer?

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2010 02:08AM by Cajun Justice.
October 11, 2010 04:23AM
Yeah ... my legs are a mess though. I did another video ... with the soundtrack of "Dude looks like a lady" ... but Kelly insisted I use the video above .... more innocent

The edge Rockwell is probably around C-60. My guess. These wire damascus blades are not as cosmetically flashy, but they are the best blades I've ever made. Now - wire damascus is not generic either. Must be made from the right stuff, and heat treated well.

I'm not sure I know the tale of the steel ball bearing and rubber hammer ... it's probably obvious ... but it's late and I'm tired ... stunned

Thanks for the comments.

Gary
October 12, 2010 12:54AM
Hey - what's the problem with this video? Man - we have all sorts of people here that like custom knives. I find it hard to believe that there's not been a peep but for Kent?

What's up?:

Gary
October 12, 2010 02:19AM
Gary with all the pieces of working art you've created over the years, I'm sure you've met some one who "could mess up a steel ball bearing with a rubber hammer", other than me, of course. knucklehead

IIRC, the damascus steel was make of different steel in layers to get the best of both. Does this complicate the etching process?

Great looking knife,

Kent
October 12, 2010 03:43AM
Hi Kent,

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate it. smileys with beer

There are about four basic families of "Damascus (or laminated) Steels". There's the oldest, which is the traditional Japanese blade. Smelted from iron bearing sand, the "bloom" is forge welded, folded, and welded many times. To refine the mass into tool steel. Second, there's the "Wootz" steel. A Mid Eastern format, this is really the steel "like from Damascus". This is multiple alloys made in a crucible - the steels combine but are not allowed to go into solution. The third is the European laminated steel - the Viking Blades, etc. Crucible steel had yet to be made in quanity. They mixed layers of iron to stretch the steel ... but found that the iron gave amazing flexible qualities to the steel. The fourth is the wire damascus. This is especially an American tradition among blacksmiths. Extremely high quality bridge cable is forge welded into a billet, and them forged into blades. The cable is a combination of several alloys of fine steels. It makes a very high quality blade.

Gary
October 12, 2010 03:53AM
Forgot ... etching. Let me edge in here while there's a lull in the posting ...

All of the Damascus steels can be etched. The acid attacks the different alloys at different rates. The relative differences between rate of attacks shows the different steels of the composition. Different acids are used for different purposes, in different strengths, and at different temperatures.

Gary
October 12, 2010 03:33PM
Hello Gary:

I'm simply speechless. The finished knife is gorgeous and I have never seen a person cutting steel with a pocket knife.

That is a true testament of the quality of that blade.

This knife doesn't project how tough the blade is; what I see is a fine gentlemen somewhat victorian knife.

No, you didn't impress me with the shaving scenes, I've seen that before on the old cowboy movies. Hehehe.

Julio
October 12, 2010 04:54PM
Well I've never seen a knife blade cut into steel like that! Impressive. I can appreciate that some serious work goes into hardening a blade like that. Nice art too, Gary.
Cheers
Neil
Anonymous User
October 16, 2010 07:10AM
Enjoyed the video, love the knife Gary. I have started fiddling with folders myself. Just slip joints, soon I'll post one up for inspection. Until then here is a picture of a fixed blade I did using hand forged 198 layer damascus made from 1095 and 15N20 steel. What do you think.
October 16, 2010 03:24PM
Joe,

I'm not Gary and I've never made a knife before, but I thinks that's BOSS!
October 16, 2010 06:23PM
hi joe
thats a fine looking knife ,, blade has a really nice pattern to it , whats the handle made from , it really matches well.
t
October 16, 2010 06:25PM
good grief , thats a sharp knife .
Anonymous User
October 17, 2010 01:41AM
Thanks guys, the scales are stabilized Black Ash Burl.
October 17, 2010 08:02AM
No fair. You get all the cool toys. winking smiley
October 19, 2010 04:17AM
Joe:

That is a very fine looking knife. I look forward to your posts of your folders.

Regards,
Karl
October 19, 2010 01:55PM
Looks fine Joe. Are you pounding out Damascus now?

Gary
Anonymous User
October 20, 2010 06:24AM
Thanks Gary, Karl, and yes I am pounding out some Gary. I have already figured out quickly that that is a young mans game. I am going to make a hydraulic press sometime in the near future I hope. Otherwise I fear my damascus career with be a brief one, hehehe.
October 20, 2010 01:31PM
Good for you!

You are correct about the young man's game. I suspect it factored into my back issues. Have fun though. Looks fine.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 33
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021