Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: little stock project

little stock project
October 12, 2010 07:18PM
Hey all,

I thought I'd throw this out there for you all to see. It's not quite Barnesian, but not bad considering it's the first of its type from me. It's for the fore end of a Benjamin Discovery. The guy it's for is a BIG guy, like 6'6" and 350lbs or something, so he wanted something to fit his hand. So it is large. It's from a piece of walnut I had laying around. You'll see a few holes in it from a beatle or some kind of bug, but since he just wanted something in this shape to paint black to match, I can't see it being a big deal. I'm the one who decided to do the basket weave. I actually kind of like the look it adds, just a little character. I don't think he'll end up painting it at this juncture, but who knows? I really enjoy this type of work, so I'll post more as they come along. It's got 5 coats of tung oil on it and it's nice and soft. The hardest part wasn't the carving, it was the inletting. I don't have a mill so I had to use a dremel with a 1/32" bit on it to try to make the corners nice and tight and then sand it out a little bit. What a pain.

angle pic-small.jpg

side by side-small.jpg

Fastener example-small.jpg
These are the fasteners I used

raw-small.jpg
Before the finish

topview.JPG
Here it is with the pieces put together

Doug's stock size pic 1.JPG
Here it is next to my 2250as to show a relative size

wave-small.jpg
This pic shows how I did it at first, notice how much smaller the pattern is. I like this size better, but if you look you can see the pattern kind of has a wave in it so I planed it all off to flat wood again and started over. I used the larger pattern the second time to speed up the process so he could get the stock sooner.

Thanks for looking. I'd love whatever input y'all have.
October 12, 2010 08:28PM
Hello Griffin,

I looks great! Nice job. Hey - once you start doing extra work to make things nicer, it never ends. hahah. That's the way to go though. Very nice indeed.

Thanks for posting it too!

smileys with beer

Gary
October 13, 2010 01:10AM
Nice job!
October 13, 2010 03:33AM
Griffin, that looks great. If anyone even tries to paint that, send'em this way and we'll trade him some drain pipe to mount on his gun. Thanks for showing us your skills,

Kent
October 13, 2010 04:59AM
Griffin,

Those turned out great!

Lon
October 16, 2010 06:36PM
thats a very smart look ,,, well done
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021