Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: My Buckley inspired build...

My Buckley inspired build...
November 29, 2010 03:46PM
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post in here. I have been following Gary's builds since about 2005 and have been an "addict" of airguns ever since.

Here are two pictures of my current build, almost complete. Need to make the butt stock support arm and butt wood piece. I may have to adjust the handle size, a bit wide, but will determine that when I add wood grips. The design is based on HM Buckley's reservoir airgun book, very simple design. Caliber is 22, German barrel from MAC1 Airguns. I have spoken with Firearms Office in Canada and seems it isn't that hard to register a rifle that goes over 500 FPS. Firstly, they said I need to complete the rifle in order to proceed. I looked over the forms in order to register, you have to basically leave the rifle alone once completed, any changes MUST be immediately reported. Will approach this in the New Year.

I was going to purchase an Airforce Condor before I started this build but decided to build two rifles at the same time to lower my costs and setup times. Overall I think I have done well building two rifles for approxiately the same cost as the Condor in Canadian funds.

I did a little shooting indoors Saturday morning at 30 feet. Will be a fun rifle to shoot with once completed. Below is a posting on youtube.

airgun_nov27.jpg

nov20_airgun2.jpg

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2010 02:23PM by pedrog.
Anonymous User
November 30, 2010 01:48AM
Sweet job, I know your going to love using that little gun. What kind of power are you getting and how many shots out of that 13ci bottle. Did you adjust the regulator? Are you going to make a shoulder piece for the bottle? Thanks for posting I enjoyed seeing your work.
November 30, 2010 02:14PM
Joe,

Thanks for your comments. smiling smiley

I haven't had a chance to setup my chrono. Wife isn't into guns at all (she was warned before we married, that I enjoy them, haha) and so I cannot shoot in the basement.

I only had 2000 PSI left in my scuba tank. When I shot the last groups, I did 18 shots regulated at 1400 PSI and it went from 2000 to 1500 PSI on the gage. For a plinker I think that is okay. I have to send my scuba tank to the city to fill as no local fire hall will fill it for me, they claim it is a liability.

The regulator is preset to 1400PSI (JDS Airman) . Once I get a chance to chrono, I will either buy another tank and regulator for higher PSI or use only a tank. I have another tank and regulator somewhere in the house (I hope) as it was misplaced when I moved from my dad's office to my home office.

When I learned I will be able to register the airguns in Canada, I will probably pursue 900+ FPS for .22 cal.

I am heading to my dad's shop after work today (delayed till Thursday, blowing snow & cold) and hope to continue on the shoulder butt stock and frame arm after a meeting. I picked up some sideline work to design some medical parts for a company in Minnesota.

Pedro

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2010 06:04PM by pedrog.
November 30, 2010 09:20PM
well done , its a very smart looking gun ,,,, who cares about the numbers , ill bet now your nearly finished you have plenty of ideas for the next one ,,,
thanks for shareing
tom
December 01, 2010 12:55AM
Hello Tom,

Thanks!!

I have so many ideas I would like to pursue. I wanted at least one decent rifle so that I could go shooting in spring, summer, fall. Winters in Manitoba, Canada are to cold for me to be out. -10C (14F) is bareable, but will not be long before we see -25 to -35C (-13 to -30F).
Eventually I would like to pursue big bore rifles but will wait to see how things go with registering the above rifles.

Pedro
December 01, 2010 05:04AM
Pedro,

Welcome.

I saw your progress on one of the other forums, quite impressive to build a complete gun from scratch at home.

What kind of machinery do you have?

Lon
December 01, 2010 05:54PM
Hi Lon,

Sorry I didn't mean to imply I built the entire rifle at home. I used my dad's shop for a lot of the machining. Some parts I had to outsource as we didn't have the tooling required (mostly the action bores and the stainless valve body). I gave up my share in the business (long story) and have been able to save the relationship and still use the shop. I have access to a manual mill, lathe, and 3 older CNC mills, CNC lathe and small surface grinder. Had a Wire EDM but a circuit board fried and cannot get a new board as is obsolete. We are scrapping the edm. sad smiley

I have a small drill press, 19 gallon compressor, scroll type saw and hand tools at home. I hope to get a small lathe and mill or combo machine next year. Will see what kind of revenue I can create with other projects. I would like to be able to do more at home, I would get a lot more done.

Pedro
December 02, 2010 05:30AM
Pedro,

Your father's shop sounds quite capable, I'm sure we'll see more work coming from it.

Lon
December 12, 2010 02:25PM
December 11, 2010

I was able to build the stock arm a week ago and fit it last Saturday. Now I need to make time to shape the pine till I feel it is comfortable and use that as a template to cut the walnut butt stock. I cut out the first arm by hand using a scroll type saw. Only took an hour, lol and was rough. Since I had to go to my dad's shop I finished the arms on the CNC mill which took 10 minutes.

Hope to rap up the project in the next 3 weeks. Polish the aluminum, stain the walnut and add serial numbers and wood grips.

December 12, 2010 02:45PM
Pedro,

Progress.pushingarock

I have two ongoing projects myself. No time to fool around with them this weekend, but probably next weekend. Keep us posted, I'm sure that most people on this forum are the type that dream about building their own gun.

Are these your fist scratch builds? I skimmed back over the post and didn't see any mention of other builds.

HW barrels.wow

Lon
December 12, 2010 10:05PM
Hello Lon,

A lot of people want to build their own rifles. Best way I learned was to buy a Crosman multi-pump rifle and take the rifle apart. Also I hunted down a copy of Buckley's Modern Pneumatic Airgun book. Cost a few bucks at the time, but learned a lot.

The Modern Pneumatic book was used for my first build.

MPAbook.jpg

action.jpg

mpa2.jpg

The Modern Pneumatic build was fun, time consuming and a huge learning experience. I got to know Mr. Buckley a little and now building the second rifle from his last book "Making the Modern Stock Air Reservoir Rifle". The design is simple and I made a few changes to my design but all inspired by Mr. Buckley's design.

Not sure what direction I will go next, I have to many ideas, lol. electrified

Pedro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2010 10:06PM by pedrog.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021