Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Seamless Tubing Blight

Seamless Tubing Blight
December 02, 2010 02:19AM
Let's see - it's 10:05 pm. Just came in from the shop. Wasted yet another day with flawed seamless tubing. Found deep scratches inside the stainless steel seamless tubing frame for a gun that I'm trying to complete. Right ... this IS the replacement tubing for the last crappy tubing I got.

Used to be that the materials were made so upscale for their intended purpose, that they were fit for use in fine custom guns. With the polution of Chinese materials ... you get screwed every time you forget to grill the person you order materials from. "NOW >>> just WHAT is the country of ORIGIN on the materials I'm ordering? Cause I KNOW that you WILL stick me with Chinese CRAP as a default anymore.

I got an order of chrome moly tubing a couple of weeks ago - last week ... heck ... it all runs together. And ... the finish is crappy. The dimensions are different than claimed. In short ... it's useless. And, what can you do about most of it. Call and say ... "HEY ... how am I supposed to make a $5k airgun out of THIS stuff???" Ah ... sorry? Did you say .... airgun???

So ... that's some nice chrome moly tomato stakes ... and this stainless will be a nice .... ah .... well ... I'll know it when I need it. Maybe a paper towel rack or something.

And so, I grilled poor "Jean" from another supplier tonight. HEY JEAN >>> just WHERE is THIS stuff made? Hummmmmm???? hot smiley And, she said China, USA, and Sweden. "CHINA!!!!" I say ... having one leg already in the phone microphone .... USA!  USA! NEVER send me any Chinese tubing again. And so it has been written ... so it shall be! bowing -- Far East

So, I had to say to give me the USA product. But ... my mind was screaming ... Sweden makes Volvos and Saabs ya know .... But ... we will see. Golly, I hope we still make something decent.

I've wasted soooo many days this year fooling with tubing that is non-spec. and poorly finished. I always get bitten when I'm dead tired, have fifteen things on my mind ... and forget that it's a new age when I have to grill the people who have been taking my orders and sending me wonderful stuff forever ... now I have to treat them like a New York Cabbie who will run you sixty blocks out of your way, if you don't know where you are going.

So, there. Another useless day - unplanned - for all of those folks waiting and wondering what in the heck I do with my time. brick wall

Let's hope it comes in early tomorrow and is good stuff! more innocent

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2010 02:23AM by barnespneumatic.
December 02, 2010 08:30AM
Making silk purses out of sows ears has never been a high-percentage occupation. winking smiley
December 02, 2010 12:33PM
Hello Gary...Do you have a Alro Steel distributor in your area? They have good material...hope this helps, Allen.
December 02, 2010 01:39PM
This same thing happened to me last year. I called Sandvik in Canada. I would have to buy $750 worth direct so I had to find a distributor. Sandvik recommended a company. I called and asked the distributor if they had the pipe size I wanted, they did . When I got the pipe it was a different manufacturer and tolerances were way out. Should have been .495" (+.001/-.002") inside, was .505 inside.

So I have $300 in two lengths of useless pipe for now. It is not a lot of money for some but when things get tight it sure is.

I have been meaning to send you an article in the Tube & Pipe Journal on the sizing of pipe using mandrels, etc. Will try to email it on the weekend.

I am sure you have researched Sandvik before? I am sure you have better access to them in USA then I do in Canada. Will send you the link.

Pedro
December 02, 2010 11:13PM
Came in today.

It's good.

I'm machining it.

Gary
December 03, 2010 03:52PM
Gary,
At this point you're still in the loop for the materials you use. In medicine it is getting to be that the insurance carrier or hospital chain or the government just tells the doc what he is going to use from now on. Some is based on price, some is based on "safety" issues and some is just the whim of a clerk somewhere. Years of practice with a technique, using a specific med, or device is thrown away because of bureaucratic obsolescence. Then they tell you they are not determining medical care, just what they will pay for you to use! The absurd thing is that the new is often more expensive that what you requested.

"I feel your pain", W.J. Clinton No he doesn't, and he never will have to!!! Mad Man.jpg

Any resemblance, to persons living or nearly dead is ..... unavoidable.

Kent
December 03, 2010 05:13PM
Thanks for your observation. That's frightening - you bet.

As you know - I listen to talk radio while I work. Well, I did until my new shop radio cuts off each time I turn on and off certain tools. It goes into a "hedge hog" ball ... and flashes huge letters PROTECT on the screen. Thirty years of radios didn't have this essential new feature. But, I digress.

So, in between restarting the radio, I hear that Congress is going to address the loudness of TV commercials. Now, while that may be THE single best thing they have accomplished (if they don't demand they become louder yet) ... it shows you the micro-manage style that has infected everything. The country is going to Hell in a Handbasket ... and Congress is addressing TV commercial sound levels.

I'm sure the issue you mention, will be welcome news to yet another black market. We'll manage to close the borders when people are sneaking in SUVs with Asprins stashed inside the spare tires! eye popping smiley

Ya see ... NOW you went and got me started .... Kent, kent, kent .....

why me
December 04, 2010 02:40AM
They will close the border, only you are thinking of the wrong border. The drug companies via PhARMA have gotten a promise from the Obama admin that no drugs from Canada will be allowed in. This was for their help with ads for Obamacare (ambulance running thru the streets, remember) and money for the H. Reid reelection ($100,000). Sounds expensive, but they also got an extension of the drug patents (no early generics) and can you guess who's drugs will be on the new formulary? I have kicked all the PhARMA sales reps out of the office. It made me scream when the dems would demonize the evil drug companies all the while making the deals.

Makes me wonder how WikiLeaks keeps going despite all the teeth gnashing in D.C. Who really thinks that the former weather underground buddies of POTUS haven't been wanting to pull the pants down of both the military and state department of the US? You mean we have a cyber worm that can shut down the Uranium centrifuges in Iran but an Aussie with a laptop and a PFC who lost his boyfriend have released state secrets on three occasions?

Stay strong, stay educated, watch the other hand,
Kent

Sorry, this is what happens when I don't have any new pics to post.
December 04, 2010 02:44PM
I know. And, that WAS the border I was thinking about. They've let Canada become the real drug capital of the hemisphere.

Yeah ... I figure that Wikileak guy is sleeping on a couch about 5 floors under the oval office.

And, yeah ... THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS when people don't post. Then, we frighten off half of the lurking readers too.

I'm trying to get four guns out the door before Christmas for people where the situations seemed even more worthy above all the other worthy causes. Christmas is one of those times that I know I'll work my fingers raw .... and still get my butt chewed no matter what I get done. I only say that from 36 years of experience. Yes - that's 36 years of failing to meet customer expectations. WalMart would be horrified. And, if you've never made anything that took longer than a week to finish, then I suspect the reader is horrified too. The truth of being good at crafting objects is this; demand always exceeds capacity. Toss in adversity, and you have a party. drinking smiley Add in the fact that I never claimed to be the "People Whisperer" ... or the world's greatest business Guru. I've only spent my time learning a few hundred techniques that I do pretty well. What a mess .... why me

More coffee

"Coffee makes right".

winking smiley

Gary
December 04, 2010 02:49PM
December 04, 2010 02:53PM
shooter with bench rifle dig it shooter More coffee

"festive"

Stay positive ...

grinning smiley
December 04, 2010 03:10PM
"Stay positive ... "

Yes, yes; think positive.
Sharks.jpg
December 04, 2010 06:26PM
Oh .. YOU are a BIG help Lon!

winking smiley

Hey - how's the rifle project coming. It's the weekend again. You should be carving that thing by now! More coffee
December 04, 2010 06:58PM
Gary,

Since you asked: I have two projects in progress. I don't know if I've ever mentioned it but I've started playing guitar. I have a cheap Strat copy torn apart for cleanin' and fixin'. I also have to true and adjust the headspace of the 10/22 bolt and tweak some other things.

I'll probably do one of them tomorrow; buyin' condo #5 - song? Lot's of homework to do.

Smokin' hot realtor babe.why me

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 07:04PM by Bigbore.
December 04, 2010 10:25PM
Gary,

Allen West was running down here two counties to the north. He used to frequent a talk radio station I listened to on the drive into work. I tried to call in and talk to him a few times but couldn't wait on hold in the parking lot at work any longer so was never able to.

Guy is a true patriot, hope Washington doesn't get to him but after all he's been through it's unlikely. He tried to give Joyce Kaufman, the radio show host that gave him unlimited air time, a position on his staff but she became a lighting rod of criticism for her on air views so she gracefully declined.

Lon

P.S. This should have been a reply to your responce to Kent below.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 10:28PM by Bigbore.
December 05, 2010 01:00PM
Thanks Lon,

Very interesting. I'll watch the guy. I liked everything I've read, if it's accurate.

Yes - hope he isn't corrupted by the snake pit.

Gary
December 04, 2010 08:55PM
Kent ....

You've GOT to read the article about the interview with Newsmaz that Congressman-elect Allen West, a retired Army lieutenant colonel, gave. I want the guy to run for President. Amazing. Where has he been? Why didn't I know about him?

Gary
December 10, 2010 01:18AM
He seems like a fine American. According to the liberal media, he and fellow black conservative rep Tim Scott are posing a problem for the Black Caucus. In short, If the always before liberal black caucus admits a conservative, it means that the only qualification for entry is being black....is that legal?...is this emoticon legal?electrified...I hope their meetings aren't held in a public building at public expense. Wait, I don't think that even matters aren't private mens clubs forced to admit women. Ah women, the only minority that is 51% of the population.knucklehead

The libs are really twisted when a minority comes out of the conservative closet. Here's some real twisted lib logic.

[www.philly.com]

Kent
December 13, 2010 05:06AM
What I really want to know is if the whole "minority prefererence" thing is gonna hold up when caucasions become minority population. It's already the case in states like New Mexico and much of the Peoples Demokratik Republik of Kalifornia.

Somehow I'm thinking that the libs are gonna change the rules to get around that uncomfortable fact, rather than let their old B.S. ideas come back to bite them.angry with "no" sign
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021