Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Little Stuff

Little Stuff
December 06, 2010 08:04PM
Christmas Gifts 043.JPG

Here's just a small mill cutter I had to make today. I had a special cut, on a stock, and I just didn't have what I needed to make it cleanly. So - a bar of tool steel drill rod came out. Machined, heat treated, sharpened ... it will do the job.

I've been into a variety of stuff. Part of the stuff would just look like pipes. The rest would show those buds of mine in Russia the details I don't care to show. ;?) I know, it's a bummer. There are lots of guys that don't mind sharing. Might be cause they are already copying what someone else already innovated. Or, they just see the risk and such differently than I do.

I've also made some Christmas gifts lately. When you've been in the business of making stuff for 36 years, people don't expect a gift card from you. haha. But - I can't show those gifts either cause I don't want this to be the time someone in my family decides to check out what the old man has been doing. ;?)

So, I'm a bust today. hahah. You'll just have to think of something to drop a photo on. I'd love to have a cuppa coffee and see what you found.

Hope your Christmas Holiday starts early and runs long. I've been making gifts since Oct. Kinda fun, and hour here and there.

Best,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 11:03PM by barnespneumatic.
December 06, 2010 11:04PM
Well - it worked. Gosh ... can't wait to use it again. haha

GAry
Anonymous User
December 07, 2010 12:14AM
That's cool, long pilot on that one, it must need to be a very precise hole!!!
December 07, 2010 12:52AM
Hi Joe,

Yeah - enters on a severe angle, and needs to line up for a bushing.

Worked well.

Gary
December 07, 2010 06:01AM
Gary,

Nice. I would like to be able to do that someday. I may start with a simple breach reamer.
Lon
December 07, 2010 12:30PM
but think how handy it will be the next time you have to do the same job , its all an investment ,,, your like a man with a wheel barrow ,,, its all ahead of ya .
its nice to make things ,,,, anything ,, but especially as gifts ,,, well done.
December 07, 2010 03:38PM
right ... I just hope everybody appreciates their reamers .... laughing

hehehhe

Gary
December 07, 2010 04:03PM
Maybe if you put a bow around them Gary......boing
December 10, 2010 03:49AM
Very nice! In this day and age it is nice to see what experience and skill can achieve.
Most people wouldn't know where to start making their own cutting tools. I have only made
few myself over the years. A lot harder then it looks!

Pedro
December 10, 2010 02:13PM
Just think what nice little conversation pcs. and collectables they'll make in future collections! I've signed and dated them all. Always brings a smile when I reach for a cutter that shows "97" (for example) ... on it. If you are careful with your tool bits - they last. When I watch the "how to" shows ... they bust thru them like a bag of pretzles. haha

GAry
December 10, 2010 02:51PM
I was wondering why you dated them, but makes sense. I wish I had done that
with somethings I made as a teen. Recently found a small crankshaft I made
when I was 16 and the connecting rod. Never did build the airplane gas motor.
But it is neat to see.

I know a few people who burn through tooling. My dad for one goes through a lot
of carbide inserts, and endmillls. I can understand why though. He worked for a company
as their toolmaker, machine builder and prototyped all their new products. He was always under
a lot of pressure to get things done. Rushing usually costs more tooling as things are
not used as intended. That mentality I guess can stay with a person after 25, 30 years of working like that?

I machined 8, D2 rolls this week at work. They are 60 Rockwell C. Need to make room for a design
change in our prodcut, so 1" had to come off the face of a 7" diameter. Used ceramic inserts and you can
only take .005 to .010" cuts (recommended). With a little regrinding of some old inserts, I was able
to take off .035 to .04" per cut and completed 1.5 days sooner! smiling smiley

I want to try to make a few reamers for chambering etc. in the future, thanks for the inspiration!

Pedro G.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021