Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Antler harvest?

Antler harvest?
February 02, 2009 05:48PM
Hey guys:

'Tis the season . . . any tips on looking for shed antlers? I'll bet I could find a lot of them around here.

-- Jim
February 02, 2009 07:12PM
One thought comes to mind .... idea

Get a deep bucket, fill it up with water ... (probably want to use warm water).

Now ... think deeply about Gary's hunt .... while looking into the bucket. The antlers you seek, will appear at the bottom of the bucket ... but you must touch them with your nose, before you can remove them, or they will disappear ... whistling

eye rolling smiley

... a guy gets back from yet ANOTHER antlerless hunting trip ..... sad smiley ... reads post .... " My private herd of deer are shedding now ... antlers all over the place ... " ... blah blah

Gimme a break ... winking smiley coffee hehe
February 02, 2009 07:57PM
Jim,

You really need to consider Garys' state of mind before posting about antlers...rolling happy smiley
February 03, 2009 03:48PM
Well, since you haven't responded to my "magic bucket" humor, I'll tell you that you'll just find the antlers at random, probably at the base of a sapling where they knocked them off.

Story: When my step-sons were little (long before Kelly and I met), they were at their grandparents for a picnic. One of the boys came to their mother, and told her that they were going to go into the woods and find a deer antler! Kelly (of course, thinking that it was impossible), told them to be careful, etc. She says in no time, they were back ... WITH a deer antler. We had the antler here forever - it's in a drawer somewhere now ... but I recall that it had marks on it from the squirrels, chipmunks, etc., chewing on it. I think they get salt from them (something like that).

But ... you just have to "believe and go look". I'll bet you find some too! rudolph

Better get them before the squirrels do ...

Gary
February 03, 2009 04:35PM
Heheh, no, I'm here . . . just been heads-down.

I think the critters eat the shed stuff for the calcium actually. I'll try to get back there over the next few days if it quits snowing . . .

-- Jim
February 09, 2009 11:17AM
The clock is ticking . . . I saw a buck yesterday with bloody red stumps on his head where the antlers have just come off. He must have lost them in the last day or so.

-- Jim
February 05, 2009 01:19AM
See if Jerry can load the Woodsman with a bean bag and stun the next squirrel he sneaks up on. Then tie a cord around its neck just tight enough so it can't swallow the antler. Now throw it into the woods and HOLD ON to the cord. When you feel a jerk (or like a jerk) reel him in and collect you prize.

Kent
February 27, 2009 12:12AM
Wanted to follow up on this thread . . . no antlers yet, but today I found no less than three nearly complete deer skeletons (one very recently dead with lots of fur around and legs mostly intact) and more bones at two other places. I guess this must be the time of year when the older or sick deer die who can't make it to spring die off? I didn't see any evidence of poaching etc. (all were on public land where hunting is not allowed) . . . but none of them had a head confused. I guess the raccoons and foxes will eat that first?

A little weirded out back in the woods today . . .

-- Jim
February 27, 2009 12:50AM
Ah ... none of them had a head. I think you found your "evidence of poaching".

Gary
February 27, 2009 03:05AM
Poaching or..... aliens!
February 27, 2009 12:57PM
Heheh . . . no, I didn't see any evidence of the deer having beeen "probed." eye popping smiley What's strange is that two of the three skeletons, along with some older, more weathered bones I found, we all within about 50 yards of each other. Hmmmmm . . .

-- Jim
February 27, 2009 01:15PM
Jim,

I got it. It's either a deer graveyard. Or somebodies private poaching stand. Dory
February 27, 2009 01:52PM
Yep . . . there's older tree stands back there everywhere, along with modern ones on some of the private property that borders the parkland.

Still no antlers though . . . sad smiley

-- Jim
February 27, 2009 12:30PM
Gee,
I thought in these tough times the Headhunters were almost out of business. Dory
February 27, 2009 04:33PM
this past season I found a nice buck that some one wounded but not killed it outright. It was hidden by some weeds so I dont think anyone ever found it. What a waste. I'll go back when I can get acros the river, and get the antlers,a nd say a prayer for the beast.

At least I can give the antlers to some native friends for their crafts. Let the buck live on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2009 04:55PM by dan_house.
February 27, 2009 08:42PM
Native Friends!!! eye popping smiley

What am I ... chopped liver????

I'm a native or something or other. Knife handles don't grow on trees ya know ... winking smiley

Gary
February 27, 2009 08:53PM
Yeah! And what about me? Gary promised to make my Yukon stock out of antlers and carve in and dye a Davy Crockett scene if I could just get him a decent rack!
February 27, 2009 09:32PM
can be arranged........

Jerry's on his own though......cooler
February 27, 2009 11:16PM
Fine. I'll just go looking for a nice rack on my own then!
February 27, 2009 11:58PM
Come on over Jerry. I can use all the help I can get! rudolph

-- Jim
February 28, 2009 01:52AM
Thanks but I'll just look over here....eye rolling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021