Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 308 Corsair, Group of Jack Rabbits and a Bobcat (vid)

308 Corsair, Group of Jack Rabbits and a Bobcat (vid)
January 25, 2011 01:58AM
Well, this weekend was another beautiful one here in good ole CALIFORNIA. Went out to one of me and my buddies spots and decided to do a little Black Tailed Jack Rabbit hunting with my new .308 Corsair. The bullet of choice that weekend would be my 148.5 gr Hollow Points. I also planned on doing a short Coyote calling session using Chris Butchers new Excrutiator game caller and to give myself some REAL practice. And boy do i need it...LOL.

I 99% of the time start my day off with properly sighting in all my guns that i am gonna hunt with that day. It was finally time for me to pull and test my cheap lil PVC target stand. Fortunately, i was able to NOT shoot it during the sight in process..lol
Photobucket

After sighting in i set up some fruit to BLAST. Here is a lil bit of what i call, airgun made fruit medley:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I then grabbed my 11 pound ball of Duct seal and wanted to test out my Jack Haley 457 shooting my 310 gr HP's. Needless to say, AT 50 yrds, the 457 HP bullet only went in about 3 inches and the bullet peeled back upon itself and shed its HP cavity completely:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

After sighting in and blasting various objects, i felt me and my Corsair were ready for some FAST ACTION JACK RABBIT SHOOTING. First off though, i wanted to test me and Butchers new Excrutiator game caller. What was really hard about this was that, i had to walk to an area that i planned on calling in. You guys might say, "so....whats the big deal about that?". Well, it was really hard not shooting all the Jack Rabbits that i encountered while walking over to the Calling Area. After arriving in the area, i looked at my cell phone to see what time it was that i would start calling. It was 11:39 am. My plan was not to really HUNT any Coyote but to simply try and call one in. If a good shot presented itself, then i would take it. But on this outing, i did not wear any gloves to conceal my hands nor did i wear my face mask to conceal my face. I more or less just wanted to call one in. Well, after making a few calls and setting the caller down, i closely watched over the area that i was in to see if i could see anything moving. I did not see anything so I grabbed the caller and blew into it for about 35 seconds, then i sat the caller down again. I quickly spotted something moving a little behind a bush and i turned on my GUN MOUNTED camera. When the camera powered up, the auto lens made its normal CLICK and CRACKING and it SCARED whatever it was behind the brush. I stood up to get a glimpse of it and to my surprise, it was my first ever BOBCAT. Once i stood up, the bobcat SPOOKED and ran away at a good little pace. Since my camera is gun mounted, I swung the gun up to my shoulder to record the CAT running away. I followed it running through my scope cause whatever i see in the scope, the camera picks it up. Well, after the cat was gone, i looked at the camera and i never hit record........lol...lol...ARGGGGHHHH!! Thats ok though cause i was not there to hunt CAT but i was seriously cool calling one in. That's my FIRST. Oh yeah, i forgot about looking at my phone to time the sighting. Checking my phone, only 5+ minute had passed since i first started calling and the cat came in and i SUPPOSEDLY videotaped it running away. HOLY COW that happened waaaaay too fast.

So now after the sighting of the Cat, it was time to hunt some Jack Rabbits. For those that don't really know, hunting jack rabbits in the open desert really test your OFFHAND shooting skills. All my JR shooting is done offhand. When you spook a rabbit and they stop to present you with a shot, you have very little time to either lay down on the ground with your bi pod or to even set up shooting sticks. Also, when you have a camera mounted to the scope, it makes it even harder cause you have to be as STEADY as possible and if you miss, the camera is still recording the action and you have to be smooth while handling the gun. The camera is recording every heart beat and every move...lol. This is my first time shooting the Corsair off hand as most of it so far has been off of the bi pods. Now, i do shoot offhand very often and always have since i was a RED RYDER totting kid. The Corsair literally put the bullets EXACTLY were i aimed each and every time while shooting off hand. The ranges on the 4 Jacks for the day was, 55 yard head shot, 73 yard shoulder shot, a 98 yard chest shot and an 85 yard shoulder shot. This video will also show folks that don't hunt rabbits or folks that do hunt rabbits just how tough rabbits REALLY ARE. I've heard people openly say that rabbits are very fragile and are easily killed. As you will see in this video, its just not true. All shots were 1 shot kills and some appear to be misses as the rabbit simply runs off after being hit by a 308"/148.5 gr HP bullet traveling around 820 FPS from the muzzle. To verify the hits, you can hear the infamous air gun "THUMP".

The Video:
[www.youtube.com]
January 25, 2011 03:42AM
Hello Cedric,

You're a machine dude!

That's some mighty fine shooting. Looks like you have your rifle dialed in.

thumbs up

Gary
January 26, 2011 12:42AM
That's some great shooting of a great gun! excited Who says men can't multi task. I need to get a closer look at your camera setup. IIRC it's in the "Gallery". If not, can you post a pic of the mount and any particulars that are important to make it work?

The speed of a calling hunt can be amazing. It seems that you either sit and see nothing all day or you are over run in the first minutes. Gary and I witnessed this on one of his visits. You have now joined Gary in the "Bobcat Admiring Society" ...more innocent

Thanks for sharing,

Kent
January 26, 2011 01:00AM
Oh ... THAT's cold ..... Snowman

winking smiley
January 26, 2011 02:53AM
LOL. Thats too funny Cajun. It was definitely worth the experience.

Thanx again guys.
January 27, 2011 12:42AM
Sweet!

Very nice shooting Ced! OBTW, that seems like a very efficient way to get the seeds out of a melon!
January 27, 2011 03:58AM
LOL..never thought of that one Jerry...lol.

It also turns the flesh of those fruit to MUSH. MELON and CANTELOUPE PUREE
January 29, 2011 05:49PM
Tofaz, a great post! Your off-hand shooting is truly impressive and puts me to shame. Must go and practice...
Great pics and production, keep up the good work!
Cheers
Neil
January 29, 2011 07:30PM
Hey Neil,

I think the jack rabbits come out to watch him do that quick shuffle .... laughing

Gary
February 01, 2011 04:07AM
GB....lol. The rabbit do like my shuffle..lol. Thats the only way to get em to stand still long enough.

Neil...thanx man. I'll be making more vids and posting em here....so........

STAY TUNED!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021