Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Texas Hunt Day 4 Pig Pics

Texas Hunt Day 4 Pig Pics
November 16, 2011 04:22AM
Here's the pics that couldn't go on the main forum.
Dead Pig Feeder.jpg
Here's the view from the shoot shack. The pig didn't take another step. Yes, it drops in its tracks, and my Blackbuck runs off!angry with "no" sign
Pig Kent Carnivore.jpg
This shot gives some scale to the sow.
Pig Tractor.jpg
Eric showed his expertise in dressing a pig from this tractor bucket. It was made into sausage in two days in Llano. This part of Texas is all geared up for hunting season.
Pig Lung Shot.jpg
Here's the damage from the 58 cal slug. A good lung and spine stunning shot.
Pig Rib Shot.jpg
Notice the rib punched thru.
We all know it, shot placement is key. I was very pleased. For a little time I stopped kicking myself for the Blackbuck.

Kent
November 16, 2011 04:31AM
Looks like you guys had all the tools and toys. Kabota too! Who needs a tree limb ... Ha!

Sounds like the guns performed their chores. Except for the hammer cocking stud catching your glove. See that model isn't for you Micheal Jackson fans ... Hehe. Sorry I couldn't resist ... More coffee

Man that whitetail buck had me sweating ...

Gary

iPhone
November 16, 2011 04:43AM
You couldn't have put the one up with my good side Kent?
That slug/gun combo really did a number on this pig. It relieved any sliver of doubt that I had remaining on the potential lack of effectiveness of these guns on the larger Axis, pigs, etc.

Gary,
You should have seen the OLD set up. Steel building with a walk in cooler in one quarter; stainless tables,meat saws,grinders,etc. in another; and a drive through on the other half with electric winches. Just pull up with the pick-up, winch down, hook up your animal and winch up. Had hot water too. Sadly we sold that half of the place a couple of weeks before Kent made it down. Had to suffer through doing it the hard way: with the Kabota. Those hydraulics are exhausting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 04:45AM by egra099.
November 16, 2011 07:15PM
Hi Eric ...

But ... he showed the front. whistling Oh ... I get it now ... you mean like the pics Jim and Jerry post of me .... not lookin' good

Yeah ... well that previous set up seemed a bit over the top. Make you soft. You need to stay sharp - break your back a bit ... well ... STAY sharp ... right. scholar

WHAT's this nonsense about not shooting whitetails in Texas with airguns! Man ... isn't that what we fought the Alamo over? Who do I have to call? on the phone That's right ... B-A-R-N-...... ...... hello ...... bullhorn HELLO!! Huh .... must be sunspots ...

Gary
November 17, 2011 04:40AM
Eric, I wondered why the guys looked so confused about cleaning the hogs Sat. They must have been in shock from having to go caveman with the tractor and chain. You pulled it off so quick though. Shouldn't have expected anything less from a straight stick bowyer.

Get this Gary, they told me I couldn't shoot the ones with the 12 point rack. And worse I WAS supposed to shoot the ones with the spots. If they would ever let those Axis deer actually grow up, just think what their racks would look like!!!what was that

Kent
November 17, 2011 03:13PM
12 Twe/.///,// twelv.... //a//a//// TWELVE POINT RACKS!!! injured

And you shoot the little baby spotted deer with the 18" long racks??? google eyes

Next you'll be telling me you can shoot Predators, at night ... with a light!

;?)

Looks like you had a great time. Excellent! Well done. smileys with beer

Hope you've pulled all the cactus thorns out of your knees by now. Those things will ruin your trousers from the inside out.

Gary
November 17, 2011 03:55PM
It's a twisted, twisted place Gary. You sure you want to come down here and taint yourself with all of this craziness?
November 17, 2011 07:42PM
Just for an educational comment:

You see the gorey pics above? Note the very dark area around the bullet hole. Note the black jelly like substance in the wound (that's what's below the membrane and looks black too). It's "Blood Shocked Flesh". That's the wound channel and the tissue ruptured apart from the inside out by the shock wave produced by the bullet.

When I shot my first Russian Boar ... the guide that skinned him with me remarked that it looked like a high powered rifle had made the wound. I'd shot the animal on a diagonal. From right behind the shoulder and out thru the far side ham. That entire 20 inch + channel was blood shocked to about three inches in diameter and 20+ inches long. Like it was packed with black jelly. Ruined the far ham in fact.

Don't let anybody tell you there's no "hydroshock" from airguns.

Gary
November 17, 2011 09:13PM
Gary, when we were skinning him I said the same thing to Kent. In fact, in person it was much more apparent and severe. After reading over, and over, and over how an airgun just punched a hole in an animal "like a bow", I was really surprised to see signs of such massive hydrostatic shock. After thinking it over though, all you have to do is go watch some of the videos of water jugs, fruit etc. being shot and it is clear the energy imparted when one of these guns/slugs hit. Do the same with a bow and you will see a slowly leaking hole.

Edit:
I've seen to many discussions of hydrostatic shock turn into arguments. When I talk about hydrostatic, personally, I am not speaking of the idea that a hit to the chest can cause vessels in the brain to rupture (though there is quite a bit of evidence that this may be the case with very high power rounds). But rather that there is damage and a wound channel extending out to flesh which was not directly contacted by the slug. In other words energy imparted indirectly by a shock wave.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2011 03:48AM by egra099.
November 18, 2011 02:23AM
Exactly and if you really want to hack them off, tell them they are not seeing this because they are using 12 fpe or thereabouts.

Thanks for verifying what I've seen.

Gary
November 18, 2011 05:46AM
Ouch, that's some serious damage. Nice shot placement Kent!
Regards
Neil
November 19, 2011 12:22AM
Thanks Neil, the Barnes Carnivore 58 is stout pig medicine! I don't have a pic of it but the shoulder was broke, I think by the second shot while the pig was on its side. You could feel it when lifting the pig by its front legs.

Eric was seeking a pic of his better half, I think I've found it.
Better Side.jpg

We were helping her overcome her fear of pigs, done!more innocent

Kent
November 19, 2011 01:56AM
Now did the Carnivore break the pigs shoulder, or yours? ;?)

Little lady is cute. thumbs up

Gary
November 19, 2011 01:25AM
You got it there Kent. All my best parts distilled.
November 19, 2011 05:16AM
Man, look at that damage.

Great shot placement and quite a HUGE hole.....lol. Now wonder the hog dropped on the spot

Congrats again.
November 21, 2011 02:53AM
Here's a pic from a few years ago. This was pre big bore Barnes. Had to go smokeless.
The kids not only got dinner but also an anatomy lesson. Home Schooling Rules!
Kids and Pig.jpg

These pigs are good to eat. Now some might worry about catching some disease...Yea right..Like you're going to turn into a Zombie.

Zombie.jpg

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2011 02:59AM by Cajun Justice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021