Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Rapids, Ground Squirrels, and Adventure

Rapids, Ground Squirrels, and Adventure
March 07, 2009 03:56PM
The weather here in Cali. has been pretty cold and dreary as of late. This past weekend in one of my hunting spots provided and opportunity to get together with my hunting buddy Daryl12 and do some much needed shooting R&R :lol:. It also afforded me the opportunity to shoot/test my new QB .32 PCP and my Logun Solo.

I started off by sighting in with the new .32 QB PCP and she did pretty well. By pretty well, it shot 1" groups with .310 Roundballs at 50 yrds. I also tested some other custom cast .308 bullets in her but found that the twist rate is to slow for the bullets. She definitely is a PEASHOOTER. I sighted the .32 in with the roundballs and stopped shooting cause i still have some tuning to do on it. Mostly detuning for slower velocity. Right now she is shooting (chrony) roundballs at 925 FPS and i wanna lower it down to 900 FPS.

Next i broke out an old favorite......the logun solo. This was a much needed shooting session for the Solo as she has not been out in over 1 year. As usual, she did great on paper but i decided that i did not want to hunt with her that day. So after the sightin, she stayed in the car while Daryl and i hunted.

Now for the master of all small game slayers.....The Rapid .25. I pulled her out of the case and topped her off to 3200 psi and sat her on my shooting mat using only the bipod to shoot off of. My target backer was a piece of wood from an old elevator crate. The wood had metal banding on it that is stamped into the wood and is used to seal the crate for shipping. On the banding are 2-1" holes. Those 1" holes became my target, at least the center of them did. Shots 1-6 landed in the center of the metal banding and did not hit any of the metal. I was smiling from ear to ear partly because i haven't shot the gun in over 1 month and the zero was still ZERO. NICE!!!!

So now daryl sights in his rapid .25 and we then blast a bunch of water filled plastic bottles at varying distances with all the guns to warm up for the hunt. After that, we grab our R25's and we go look for ground squirrels.

After spotting a few that Daryl and i never got a shot on, we kept venturing into the woods for more GS's. Darrl spotted 1 and wanted me to take the shot on him. I said ok and we set up to take the shot. To our surprise, 2 GS's popped their heads out. Darryl and I opted to try a DOUBLE shot and we got ready. Well, wouldn't you know it, right before we squeezed the triggers, the GS's suddenly ran off. All we both could do was laugh.

So now daryl spots another GS and we decide to split up. I left him to his GS and i took off after another. I saw him run in the distance towards me but cut off into a big quarry of boulders. I said to myself "NICE....he'll be back up to check out were i went. After 10 minutes of glassing with my binoculars, i spotted him. He was actually sitting there watching me for GOD knows how long. I put down my binoculars and picked up my LEUPOLD rangefinder and lasered him at exactly 55 yrds. I quickly turned on my video camera and ajusted it for zoom. I started recording and then commensed to take aim right between the ear and eye. The gun went PSSSSTTTTT! and the impact went TWHAAACCKK!. Here is the video and don't forget..........PUMP UP THE VOLUME!!!

After my 1st GS of the day, i get back with Daryl and he too took one. It was evident cause i can't here his gun go off but i can here the impact on the quarry. Anyway, we both hunt more and we both get 2-3 more apiece at 55-51-55yrds. RAPIDS RULE THE DAY YET AGAIN!!!

All in all, we had a great day hunting and enjoying the comraderie and target shooting and beautiful weather. As D and i always say, if we don't even get any quarry, it's always good just to get together and enjoy the beautiful outdoors.

As usual, BE SAFE!!!!!, ENJOY YOUR FREEDOMS!!! and KEEP IT IN THE BULLSEYE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2009 10:05AM by Tofazfou.
March 07, 2009 05:03PM
Great post Ced! That is great country you're hunting in. I always enjoy the pictures. The picture of the Peashooter is excellent, it really shows off the work you did. thumbs up You're building quite the collection there too!

Unfortunately the video link is not working, at least for me. I seem to bring up just an image file.

Thanks for sharing.
March 07, 2009 05:04PM
Hi Cedric,

Thanks for the post. Good looking guns there. Sounds like a fun day.

I was following along ... and all of the sudden, I thought you were scoping out Daryl!!! haha. Lucky for him I just lost my place. hehe.

Oh ... double check with others. I couldn't get the video. I got a still pic instead.

Great materials! thanks.

Gary
March 07, 2009 06:09PM
Great post!!
Video not working but the guns look mighty fine take a bow
March 08, 2009 10:08AM
thanks for the comments guys. it was a great day out in the field. can't wait to get back out and shoot more of the .32

jerry, got some video of the .32 smashing water filled glass bottles...lol.

oh yeah, video is fixed now.
Anonymous User
March 08, 2009 10:52AM
Excellent post, enjoyed the read and the video, thanks
March 08, 2009 01:07PM
Great shot placement. He was dead before he hit the ground by the look of it fudd
March 08, 2009 04:05PM
Got the video now! Good shooting! fudd

Gary
March 09, 2009 02:13AM

I put down my binoculars and picked up my LEUPOLD rangefinder

Heheh . . . just had to point this out to you Gary in case you missed it . . . rolling happy smiley

-- Jim
March 08, 2009 07:48PM
Can you show a close up of how you attached the camera to the scope?
smiling smiley
March 09, 2009 01:54AM
Great post Tofazfou!!!! I wondered why I was seeing the recoil in the video until I saw your sweet rig. I rarely have time to cock my hammer, let alone get a zoomed, in focus pic of the shot. I'm doubly impressed. You made a great shot.take a bow I think my next hunting trip needs to be a small game hunt in a target rich environment. Anyone know of such a place?

Kent
March 09, 2009 02:10AM
Great post and killer guns. smileys with beer Always liked the Rapids . . . gonna get me a shrouded MKII some day.

-- Jim
March 09, 2009 11:03PM
pablouk....here ya go:

March 09, 2009 11:38PM
Thanks for the pic of the camera Cedric. That's clever. Great to be able to see the shot like that. I'm surprised that it works so well.

Gary
March 10, 2009 01:45AM
yep gary, thats a good point. i sometimes wonder how well the mount works but, i can say that video shows quiet well even on my 250+ FPE dragon slayer. i wonder if the more the PCP recoil the better the camera handles the shaking. i guess the cameras anti shaking feature works quiet well. the camera only gets blurry during the shot the QUICKLY clears up so we can see the impact.
March 10, 2009 04:46PM
Ah, very neat take a bow

Ta smiling smiley
March 10, 2009 07:57PM
You have some nice weaponry there, Tofaz! And not bad shooting eitherthumbs up
Regards
Neil
March 14, 2009 05:45AM
thanx neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 32
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021