Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Who's been airgun hunting?

Who's been airgun hunting?
December 10, 2008 05:30PM
I don't think I'm a terrible hunter. But I seem to be terrible at choosing/finding the correct place to hunt.

I've been out this year, on private ground, but have seen only some birds, one doe, and a big black house cat (or was it a Panther ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I hear stories of herds of deer running thru people's yards, but can't find them in the woods. How about you?

Gary
December 12, 2008 01:35PM
I've been...... but I may as well not have.

Still eating on the deer from last year I took so I dont think I'm going to take another this year, but the squirrel hunting has been horrible here. I've been out 4 times so far and havent had much luck.

Missed a good shot on one at around 40 yards with a QB conversion shooting .310 round balls at around 40fpe.... and for that trip, that was the only one I saw.

Subsequent trips either resulted in no squirrel seen or 100+ yards out, just a flicker of a tail.

Of course, it's nice to just 'get out'... but I LIVE ...'out' .... far from town, with about 400 acres family owned and the Pisgah National Forest behind that....cool smiley
December 12, 2008 02:05PM
That's a beautiful area Rob . . . I have road tripped quite a bit on the Blue Ridge Parkway down there! I'd like to have some land in the NC mountains someday . . . smiling bouncing smiley

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2008 02:11PM by Jim.
December 12, 2008 02:17PM
It really is; I feel blessed. The Blue Ridge parkway is the shortcut for me to go to work every day. I can be on the parkway within 10 minutes from my house... and then a 30 minute ride on the parkway.... then 5 min off the parkway to get to work. Not too bad a drive.

I've noticed that all the pest birds, starlings and English sparrows are all in town, as are the pigeons. There are none to speak of out where I live. In the Spring time, I may see a few starlings go by, but that is typically one or two days worth and thats it. Whats odd is that the squirrel seem to be migrating to town as well.

I used to think the lack of squirrel in my area may be attributed to the rising coyote population around here, but rabbits are plentiful and it's not uncommon for me to see a dozen or so rabbits in the driveway (about 1/8 mile) before I get to the road. Deer and Turkey are plentiful here as well, but I wont shoot any around the house. I've had to get out of the truck and shoo turkey away to keep from running them over in the driveway, and any morning, I can see deer out around the apple trees and field below the house.... ..and the rabbits... I thin some out, but as far as hunting....... no challenge. Not when you can throw rocks at them you are so close.

so....... I suppose it's not that the hunting is bad around the house, but I just cannot consider it hunting to shoot a deer that will let you walk within 15 yards of it while is calmly eats in your yard....haha
December 12, 2008 02:38PM
Heheh . . . we have some of those "tame" deer too:

tenpoint.jpg

This ten-pointer was about ten yards from our front door. Here in MD just north of Baltimore, they're tremendously overpopulated. We're in what's called the "Suburban Archery Zone" -- no muzzleloaders or firearms due to the proximity of the houses, but bowhunting is legal. Across town, in Howard County, some hunters accidentally shot a daycare center's window out yesterday with a shotgun, even though they were outside the 150 yard buffer. Luckily, no one was hurt.

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2008 02:39PM by Jim.
December 14, 2008 03:12PM
Jim,

Do you use "No Scent" in your front yard?

He-he-he.
December 14, 2008 05:24PM
Hey Lon,

I think you're on to something there. I probably need something that smells like french fries and gravy ... or maybe car tires and auto exhaust! hahah.

fudd

Gary
December 14, 2008 07:30PM
Heheh Lon . . . nope, they just show up more days than not.

Couldn't resist . . . a herd of about six to eight has been laying down all day just off the edge of our front yard. Was out bringing in firewood earlier about 15 yards from them -- three wheelbarrows full. Ran a gas-powered leaf blower too. They just look at me and chew their cud. They're much more concerned when they hear a dog barking.

close_herd.jpg

Took this shot through the miniblinds next to the front door so you can see how close they are. There are four visible in the pic, but another two to four behind the bush etc.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

-- Jim

P.S.: Just went downstairs . . . five yards from me now (and five in this pic). Sorry Gary . . . they're all at my place today.

close_herd_2.jpg

P.P.S.: Getting silly now . . . as you can see, a few feet from the front step and right next to the firewood I just stacked.

close_herd_3.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2008 07:42PM by Jim.
December 14, 2008 10:22PM
Oh ... that just tears it ...... excited
December 14, 2008 11:31PM
Where's the picture of the Buck warming himself by your fire? drinking smiley
December 15, 2008 01:02AM
Yeah Jerry,

Let's see if the deer are as kind to Jim, when THEY have the guns. rudolph As soon as they realize it's better inside .... Jim may regret ....
December 12, 2008 03:04PM
Hello Rob,

Welcome.

Yeah - everything seems all backwards. If I hear one more story of people with herds of deer around their house, I'll scream. haha winking smiley

Yet, I go out and set up my blind early - let it acclimate for awhile before using it. And, out in the woods ... I see ... a HOUSE CAT!

I sometimes travel to meet a bud and hunt down South. And, between us ... we just see a few doe.

Now ... around town here (small Victorian village), the ferral house cats have eaten everything smaller than a pony. There used to be lines of pigeons on most roof tops, but now, you see hawks all the time. You can drive 10 miles in any direction, and you'll see three hawks when the leaves are off the trees. There are a bunch of squirrels in town. Guess the cats don't have a taste for squirrel (or they're too fast).

Anyway ... it's a mess. When I talk to most people about deer hunting, I get a similar story as you and Jim mentioned. "What's the point?" But, I go out and get cut to pcs. with thorns, freeze, and see nothing. haha.

Thanks for posting.

Gary
December 13, 2008 09:59PM
Well, here I sit with foot warmers taped to my socks .... idea

Just to make my humiliation complete, I dressed in camo, sprayed down with "no scent", fudd

and went out and warmed a patch of ground between two vine covered shrubs ... eye rolling smiley near the intersection of several game trails you could ride motorcycles on. No ... rudolph ... but I did manage to see the black house cat once again. Three trips afield ... saw the same fat black house cat with a white blaze chest, each time.

Hunting season is over. The big buck is safe in Jim's yard. rudolph All is well that ends well. Back to work, artist

Gary
December 15, 2008 02:22PM
Gary
Seems to me that maybe you should be following that Big Black Cat. He gets there and tells em your coming! hahaha winking smiley

Rick
December 16, 2008 12:58PM
Hey Rick,

I hadn't thought of that! He's clearly a "stoolie"!! eye popping smiley

Gary
Anonymous User
July 17, 2010 02:55AM
You could use a slingshot.db
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021