Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Gary's Winter Mississippi Hunt

Gary's Winter Mississippi Hunt
February 02, 2009 03:20PM
Miss90GreyFox.jpg

We settled ourselves into an improvized blind, and used an electronic call to draw in this fine Grey Fox! Amazing experience ... that call had me wanting to go see what was going on too! winking smiley

I'll find some other pics later, of the scene and such.

Gary

Added ..... More to the story

Miss09Blind.jpg

We set up this blind in ten minutes. Took no great pains. We'd called before, on other hunts, with no luck. Didn't really expect much. We jumped in, and started to call.

Miss09Blind_out.jpg

I'm sitting looking up this grass road. It's a bit more light then this (taken afterwards).

Well, at the first few Ahwoooolllwwlllls of the electronic game call (they have different "cards" you use for different sounds), I see movement at the other end of the road. I scope it, and it's a FOX!!!! I caution Kent, who thinks I'm kidding. I mean ... it's honestly the first calls of the hunt!

I tell him to trigger the call softly. He does. The Fox advances and stops (all the while zeroing in on the call speaker and the blind is in his line of sight). I let him keep coming in. At 65 yards, I want to take the shot. But, two more easy calls brings the Fox in another 5-10 yards each time. At about 50 yards, I line up on the chest, and fire. The whole world turns into a Fox howwwwwwwl ...... !!!!!

Miss09peelout.jpg

The fox does a peel out with all four feet, and dashes one yard .....

Miss09tangle.jpg

... directly into this thicket of about 5 acres. We hear howling and thrashing for 15 seconds or so while I reload ... then nothing.

I hear Kent say ... there's another fox! It's behind me. He says, "Shoot it!!". But, I can't turn around fast or effeciently. I can just see it, and it pauses there. But, as I try to turn ... it's gone.

Before I can turn back around, Kent says ... there it goes! A fox had crossed the road down about 50 yards. From one thicket to another. Kent remembers later that the one behind me was a Red Fox. So ... we'd called in three Fox in just a few minutes! As I get situated back facing my prime direction ... the Fox appears back on the road (result of another electronic burst of wounded prey sounds).

I'm on it .... aim .... BANG!!! This fox crumples in the middle of the road. Doesn't make it to the thicket. That was two Fox taken with the same reservoir charge ... and I had one shot left if needed.

We looked for a couple of hours (until dark in the thicket), for the first Fox. The next morning, we hunted for a couple of more hours. There was simply too many places where we had no access. The Fox beat us in the end, finding a hiding place. A real shame, because I hate to waste game. But ... we gave it a valiant effort. Kent will keep an eye on the sky, seeing if the buzzards find it where we could not.

We did recover this Grey Fox. I remember thinking during the hunt, that this one looked younger and more "fresh". The other looked taller and darker. I suspect that was the male. This one is a younger female.

Garys_fox_Feb_1_09_compressed.jpg

Here's a fine pic that shows the Gray Fox, the electronic call rig, the blind area (pine logs, pine lops, and camo cloth screen material), and the rifle I used. 45/08 shooting Bishop 303 grain.

(There's been comment that there's confusion over these recent model changes ... regarding names. I'm sorting that out).

Hope you enjoyed the story and pics. Thanks for reading.

That was quite a hunt. A one of a kind frantic action tale over just a few minutes. Also proves, you need to have game in the area for your preparations to work. We did less prep, and got immediate results here ... because there were predators in the area!

Gary

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2009 09:23PM by barnespneumatic.
February 02, 2009 04:42PM
A fine looking fox. Congratulations.
February 02, 2009 05:28PM
Thanks Jerry,

I have to pick out a position for having it "stuffed". Ya know ... the Grey fox is the only one of these critters that climbs trees. I understand they can climb like a cat and often sleep in trees! How's THAT for a little known fact? eye popping smiley How'd you like to be bird watching and find THAT looking back at 'cha? haah'

Gary
February 02, 2009 05:50PM
The ones around here (red fox) don't stay too long in one place . . . I always see them roaming around looking for something to eat. Every once in awhile, you'll see one at the base of a tree sleeping, but they don't stay there for long. I'd get it mounted trotting along . . . that's how I always see them.

-- Jim
February 02, 2009 07:15PM
I see .... eye rolling smiley

You ALSO have red fox trotting thru your estate daily ... mingling with the herd of deer .... hummmmm

winking smiley
February 03, 2009 06:24PM
Great hunt story, Gary! I was going to ask, "what was that gun you were hiding behind the fox" when you first posted that picture, but now I see.
What velocity are you sending those Bishops at the unfortunate prey?
Regards
Neil
February 03, 2009 08:25PM
Hi Neil,

I happened to have my range book laying here ....

These 303 grain Bishops were going 787 fps using 2,700 psi. (That's 417 fpe with this slug).

Gary fudd
February 03, 2009 09:24PM
What!!?? You'll never hit anything if you don't shoot at least 950FPS! Oh, wait...never mind... footinmouth

Sorry, just had to toss in a little expertise I got for free on the web! rolling happy smiley

I'm very happy you got the fox on this trip. I was SOOO.. fearing a "saw a bobcat while I was loading" story or some other such sad tale.
February 05, 2009 12:53AM
Gary,

Thanks again for coming to visit. I'm so glad you have a beautiful gray fox to mount. I know a lot of hunters with bucks on the wall but less than a handful with such a nice trophy as this. It was such a great memory thanks for sharing it.

I don't know where I came under the misunderstanding on the name of the Expedition 58 cal muzzle loader being a Rondezvous, my mistake.

Kyle and I shot the woods walk tonight, he with the Chaparral and me with the Rondezvous 45-08. Kyle shot nearly clean with the short shooting sticks. I had fun bending some metal with the Bishops.

Sorry still no sign of the wiley canid.

Kent
February 05, 2009 02:31AM
Hi Kent,

I'm really pleased with the Fox too! The predators seem to hold a fascination for me. Gotta one day get that Bobcat too! fudd

Glad the guns are out pounding steel! That's what they're made to do.

I'm certain I've confused scores of people with the names of my models. Myself included. I finally settled on the Expedition Class (to which all the early Legacy muzzle loaders belonged) being the proper place for the 58 you mention. For readers, that's the 58 muzzle loader with the carved Deer on the stock.

The Rendezvous was an early model (13 years ago) within the Expedition Series. Lighter, and of the high-medium power range. A hunting/sporting format. My mind seemed to place these new guns in the same bracket. With their classic "dropped stock", I think they have a definite 19th, early 20th century signature.

The only thing that's missing though, is individual names within the family. Can't very well be calling a 25 and 58 the same general name now! haha. Must clean that up as it clarifies itself to me.

Best,
Gary
March 07, 2009 04:04PM
were the heck have i been? great story and post gary. 1 more post like this from you and i am gonna buy one of your rifles.....lol. that story was a great read and the pics went right along with the story. awesome. your guns are really powerful and accurate. 417 fpe just put the smack down on that grey
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021