Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Recent Testing - 45/08

Recent Testing - 45/08
October 06, 2008 03:21PM
War Wagon 001.jpg

I have a box trailer set up as a nice rolling range platform. I was taking so much time dragging stuff from shop to truck, and setting up, that I hated the set-up and tear down time. I jokingly refer to the trailer set up as the "War Wagon".

I rolled out to the range last night about 5:15 pm. Had just enough time to verify a rifle I had just assembled in the rough parts. No sanding/polishing yet. No bluing. Just raw parts. I even borrowed a stock from another pc. But - it was functional. I wanted to test the set-up - power levels, and a new series of slugs.

290grn@814fps.jpg

The rifle shot the 290 grain Bishop @ 814 fps right out of the box. That's 427 fpe with this medium weight 45 slug. Very good. That's over spec. for this light weight hunter. And a nice fast slug for hunting.

216.2@900fps.jpg

It shot the lighter 216.2 grain Hornet slug @ 900 fps even. That's 389 fpe. Real fine.

45_08 032.jpg

I didn't have alot of daylight to burn, so I concentrated on priniting a couple of targets with the Bishops. This showed me that they'll group well. Even with the simple 4X shop scope (people keep buying my scopes and leaving me my 4X shotgun scopes).

45_08 034.jpg

I can't be trusted with a sharpie in my pocket ... so I drew a real quick Dragon target. I took the approx. hold off from the first group target (where you saw the target dot about 2" left of the group ... and I just put a "ball" aim point about 2" left of the dragon (rather than fiddling with the scope and firing more test slugs - burning time).

45_08 038.jpg

The hold off proved pretty close. The slugs flew very well. And, yes, I need more glass to get tighter on the target. Good range trip. I closed up the trailer and rolled out just before dusk.

Thanks for reading.

Gary
Re: Recent Testing - 45/08
October 06, 2008 07:55PM
Sweet! Someone is going to end up with a fine hunting gun there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021