Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A few photos of Airforce Airgun Accessories

Anonymous User
A few photos of Airforce Airgun Accessories
December 22, 2008 02:53AM
While I cannot even begin to compare myself to Gary's masterful works, I figured I'd share a few pics of some of the small parts I've made in my limited 5 months of self taught machining experience.

a set of tank valve disassembly tools:

and requisite spanner "wrench"

a couple of trigger shoes
Photobucket

a gagle more, pictured beside the stock they were cut from:

some cocking knobs I affectionately call "bi-metal". The base aluminum knob is turned 1/2 the length to create a shoulder then a brass sleeve is turned to -.001 ID of the OD of the aluminum base and the two press fit together before final finishing. I was quite proud of the results on these.

and some "plain" aluminum ones

a muzzle break and cocking handle for a B-51, actually one of my first projects and before I had a rotary table to allign the holes in the mbrake.
Photobucket

a broken Talon valve stem, and the replacement I made, decided to make it more effecient while I was at it. Reduced stem diameter and ports aligned/repositioned for a more straight through flow.
Photobucket

all for now. One day I'll get to where I am comfortable attempting a 'scratch build'.

one thing I have learned in my limited time building airgun parts is an appreciation for the time and effort that goes in to such a project.

Hats off to ya' Gary, If people only knew........your prices would be seen as a bargain. smileys with beer
December 22, 2008 03:27AM
SHRPSHOTR

Thanks for posting. That's some fine work. Well done. I hope it moves well for you too.

The "machining" isn't nearly so stressful as the eternal "setting up", is it? You work for an hour to prepare to make a ten minute cut. I'm sure you'll recognize that factoid.

Nothing wrong with being self taught either. Me too. take a bow

Gary
Anonymous User
December 22, 2008 11:50AM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SHRPSHOTR
>
> Thanks for posting. That's some fine work. Well
> done. I hope it moves well for you too.
>
> The "machining" isn't nearly so stressful as the
> eternal "setting up", is it? You work for an hour
> to prepare to make a ten minute cut. I'm sure
> you'll recognize that factoid.
>
> Nothing wrong with being self taught either. Me
> too. take a bow
>
> Gary

yes, the setup really does eat up most of the time. 15 minutes swapping vise for tool post for rotary table, selecting cutters, steady/follower rests, etc all to make a cut that may only take a couple passes. Double that for me when I need a single milling operation in the middle of turning a part on the lathe. Just getting started into a new hobby, I went with this 'little" 3-in-1.

Photobucket

Space and money both at a premium and not enough of either to justify separate lathe and mill just starting out. It has really gotten in my blood now though and the creative process of turnin a block of metal into a useful object is very enjoyable. I continue to be amazed by what can be done.

Some forward thinking/planning and working on multiple parts at once helps take a bit of the sting out of the setup operations and I try to plan my pieces where 95% of the work on the lathe is done before having to switch to the mill or vise versa. Still though it would be nice to have both usable at the same time (maybe upgrade to separate machines someday) but for now I'm quite satisfied with the setup. I'm really looking forward to getting a DRO setup done as counting turns and remembering backlash is a lot to keep up with on top of everything else.

Jerry,

Not aware of anyone offering "imagination for sale" lol. But it seems you get to spend enough time around Gary that a little of his is bound to rub-off. The knurling is really appealing in both function and visually, but it is mostly the tooling, with just the right amount of technique added. Looks more complicated than it is.
December 22, 2008 03:45AM
I'm going to have to get a metal working lathe just so I can talk to you guys. I'm impressed just by the diamond cut "knurling." That;s probably laughably easy stuff for you guys...whistling

Really nice work there. I like the bi-metal stuff. If I ever get a lathe, where do I buy some imagination?
December 22, 2008 04:29PM
I think we need a new Topic called Metal Working, Shop Talk, or Metal Shop. I've considered getting a milling machine for years now and one of my sons wants to be a Jeweler though he is more into metal working. You guys can give us armchair metal benders some teach on how to do it right.

Keith

BTW, Gary - I odered those books from Oppi Untracht for my son. He's getting them for Christmas.
December 22, 2008 05:11PM
Hi Keith,

Your son will love them. It's been awhile since Gary has had those books out, but when he did he'd look through them for hours.

Say Hi to Alice for me.

Kelly
December 22, 2008 05:33PM
Keith,

I discovered the first of those books about 1974. I read, and re-read every word of them for years. Used to lay in bed and read them til 3am. If you have not yet seen one in person, they are large reference books. Then, in 1980 ... the house I was renting (with my shop in the basement) burned. I lost nearly everything, but I was pleased one of those books survived ... all wrinkled and battered. I just looked ... I can't find the second book. Might be here somewhere still. However; they are THE best reference books I've ever seen on hundreds of different disciplines.

If your son has the spark, I have no doubt they will become one of his treasured possessions. thumbs up

Gary
December 22, 2008 06:58PM
Gary,

My son, Adam, has the spark. He was recognized as on of the up and coming artist in the Miami area by one of the local rags ands he is still in college. He likes metal working and will be taking a bronzing class next semester. He wants to turn my garage into a shop, which I've sure Alice will love. I have no idea where I'm going to put all that junk I have collected over the years to make room for his stuff.

Oh well.

Keith
December 22, 2008 09:41PM
Keith,

Sounds like you need a POD. idea Or ... if you have room and a permit ... sounds like an opportunity to develop some construction skills. winking smiley

Good for Adam. The spark is something that you can't turn off. It's one of those "blessed curses" too. Demands satisfaction, endlessly distracts, drives you to exhaustion, but it's something you'd never give up.

Gary
Anonymous User
December 23, 2008 12:25AM
so many ideas, so little time. sometimes the sheer quantity of the inspirations is so overwhelming that it becomes difficult to get started on anything.

it'll drive a person crazy.

or maybe that's just me. excited
December 29, 2008 04:13PM
SHRPSHOTR28 Wrote:

> or maybe that's just me. excited

Nope... not just you..... was up till 12:30 last night a)doing a flame job on my laptop case and b) running thru my collection of airgun pics looking for a spark to push the next project......
December 29, 2008 05:52PM
Hi Dan,

Share a few of those pics to spark us all ...

artist

Gary
January 02, 2009 04:07PM
very nice work!!!

Joebill
January 21, 2009 05:09PM
all starting to look very interesting here now ,,,, where do i put my cut off saw and a big stick welder ,,,,lol , good stuff , i love to see the pics , today was minus two , and rain , sleet , snow falling , just the day to be outside , in a diving suit , taking out a dissused steam line ,,lol , oh for a workshop , i dream of such things , gary , dont show him the metal carving pics just yet , its too much , too soon , regards , tom
January 21, 2009 05:20PM
Man, you're killin' me. That sounds mighty rough.

They'd need ten strong men just to get me in the diving suit! excited I don't dream of that! coffee

Ok ... we'll pace the steel carving. ;?)

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021