Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Drop by later ....bullhorn FOR SALE!!! IRONWOOD VEST POCKET bullhorn

Forum discussion - usage - future directions
February 04, 2018 09:39PM
I wanted to save discussions. Get rid of the pics of the Ironwood knife scales that cracked.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 07:38PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Drop by later ....bullhorn FOR SALE!!! IRONWOOD VEST POCKET bullhorn
February 05, 2018 05:44PM
Had a conversation with Kelly this am. I ask her opinion as someone who's opinions I respect, and one who is not afflicted with the genes which make up an artist. I just simply do not understand some of the things required to present my work to readers. She tells me that people simply have to see the items finished. YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!! I can hear it thru the screen.

That's an easy one to fix. I only need more Gary's. May I use the example of this week please. Over time, I've made the parts for The Black Pearl knife. I completed most of the Case of the knife. The NEW concept/technique. And I installed the pearl. Put the blade in place. Took beautiful pictures. Posted. Nothing. It's not finished. Here's the thing: if the sight of that so far, had you barfing on your keyboard .... then me spending two more days finishing it wouldn't help. And I figured that anybody can see what it's gonna be. Nope. Not finished.

So; I used my time to show you an alternative knife. The beautiful Blue Pearl Mosaic. Laid up the parts. Took beautiful pictures. Posted. Crickets. It's not finished. But you can decide if you want the brushed blade for a saving or the polished blade shown. "Well, maybe finish one of each and we'll take a look when you are done."

So; I made the Vest Pocket knife. Worked like a mad man to show you the knife you have loved, AND even with beautiful Desert IronWOOD scales. Showed it in lay up. Really close to complete. "I'll stop back - maybe when it's done."

I have only so many hours in the day. I use them all. I need to be working on the item that I have a buyer for. I've assumed that after watching my work for years and never seeing a poorly finished piece .... that if I write "Roses are red, violets are ...." , I've assumed I could use the time to move to "little Miss Muffit ....". I figure I'm spreading my hours and offering you as wide a choice base as possible. Right? Wrong? Darned if I know. I've worked for 44 years doing this. But all is different now. I'm hardly still making buggy whips. I've hardly refused to embrace computers. Only thing I haven't done is find a way to work inside optical cable at the speed of light.

Anyway .... here are the scales finished. Knife to follow. And I guess the 97s will both have mirror blades.

Stop back. Thanks.
Gary

PULLED ........

Conclusion: NOT that I'm right in my patterns of working. Question is ... IS THIS an accurate observation? Is showing unfinished work a problem. Do you only want to see it when it's complete? Cause that would sure save me effort in showing progress. Thing is, when I show progress, at a certain point I feel it's so close, I feel it's ready to be offered.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 07:40PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: (PULLED)IRONWOOD VEST POCKET
February 05, 2018 11:34PM
Gary
You know in my observation I believe Kelly is correct is saying people want to see a finished product. Now it has nothing to do with knowing we send money and bam it's in the mailbox . I think when you offer a partial view of progress and the switch off in a different tangent down a completely different vein of style and materials they ( we ) are thinking WOW I should have waited for THAT one . Sooo is there a knife you've showed in the past month or two I'd like ? Certainly but on the other hand do I have a knife of yours that I would trade even up for the new style I haven't had in my hand yet . You bet . (Same price ) Well that's only my guess that too many choices give too many options and create indecisiveness.

Ps ; thumbs up If you just build it they will come !thumbs up
Pss; My thumbs up are working.

Thanks
Kurt
February 06, 2018 02:14AM
All good insight.

You guys need a one trick pony. Haha. (Humor)

That's always been a problem. Most guys make a career of "Their model" or maybe "Their style". I just have an endless streaming flow of ideas. "Well - aren't you .,,, SPECIAL???" (Humor again). I know most readers think I'm just bragging (til you check the pics of the last 44 years). Now .... here's the question. I'm not asking anyone to getTattoos of my Logo. But why does it take anything away from a reader or a buyerto say ... "hey, that guy I collect just has endless ideas." Isn't that good? Doesn't that make my work a bit on the unique side?

But, I know it doesn't to most people. They really want a "Barnes" and the way you tell a 1981 from a 2017 is to turn it over. (One has 1981 engraved on it and the other has a 2017). Humor but tragic humor because it's true.

You know the old story: ancient King has a Craftsman build his Best "thing" for him. Craftsman delivers it. King loves it. Asks the Craftsman ... now, could you make a .... "better one?" Craftsman thinks and .... says. "Well, probably." At which point the King has the Craftsman killed on the spot.

But, now .... rather then people wanting a collection of endless interesting things .... everyone wants a copy of THE generally accepted production from this guy. I know, used to be, of the hundred artists in a huge knife show .... I could tell you what each one's table would look like. And that is why the first fifty people at my table would be the other knifemakers. They'd sneak by on the far side of the isle. Or stop when I was away from my table.

It's maddening.

Well -check the next post. Knive finished for sale ..,,

Gary
February 06, 2018 03:23PM
Hey Kurt,

I understood your valid point regarding the fear of "What's he gonna do next???" How I might like it better, or it may have more good stuff.

Here's my valid questions. I hope Kurt and a few others will participate. I'm curious.

1). Doesn't my fairly well established price scale, (established from square one here at BPS)... doesn't that lessen the concern that I'm gonna offer a new gee wiz knife for just nickels and dimes? You pretty well know which features cause a knife to add up to about this much.

2). I know folks aren't only all about lower price. I know a number of you stepped up for the Southwest Series and similar pieces. But ... here's a couple of thoughts. I'm not sure there is a market when I invest the time required. I have to be pretty sure when I spent two weeks on a piece. Now, I also realize buyers may rather like to have one higher grade piece rather than two medium grade items. So; they may be hesitant to spend for that medium knife. HOWEVER; here's my dilemma - nothing I make is half baked. So; if you buy anything from me, it's going to be smooth, well finished, good design, and part of my 44 year string of work. There are no losers if you buy something when you like it.

BTW .... I live I fear that Mercedes is going to reproduce their 1972-3 280SL 4.5 .... and offer it for $250 .... and I'm only gonna be able to scrape up $100!!! Noooooooo!!!!!' (Humor)

3). There's always gonna be a new idea here. If you deal with the fellow with one idea - how long does it take for you to fill up your collection of his work? Is there a flaw in my thinking here? Unless you are satisfied with getting a brown handle version, then later adding a black handle version, and getting wild and ordering a green handle version. That's a coherent collection but, it reminds me of the group of five collectors at a big show. They each reach into their pocket and pull out an identical knife from ole Maker X. Exciting. If one of them would have said he was carrying a Barnes .... wouldn't it have raised some interest to see just what it was?

The other dilemma is that a buyer wants the standard modelshiwn so he can say .... OK .... I've got one. I'm full up. That's not a collector and you wouldn't be here if you felt that way.

Common guys. All the years invested in our forum here. Talk to me. Let's use it like a forum please. I'm quite serious. What's up? I was in agony with my leg - close to tears - sleeping in a lounge chair for a week or more before I could get a back injection. I literally must have picked up the flu on that trip to the Dr. Somewhere. Both Kelly and I were sick as dogs and weak as kittens for two more weeks with the flu. Back to sleeping in the chair to breathe. Then, my flu turns into Pneumonia. Another week of misery that still has lingering effects. Add up roughly 5-6 weeks there. None of that pays, but it sure does cost. So; I've shown some very neat projects I've worked on throughout that interval, and after that time. What's keeping us from even talking? I never have a clue what's up when just everybody takes off on a bus somewhere. It's a small forum. But has been well established. Pretty much any time you come you'll see a member or two and 15-20 people reading. But. Nope. No talking. No discussion. No pictures. No usage. Just Gary with his harmonica and an up turned hat. Smile, play a tune, cough, draw a couple of pics for the kids, a bit of soft shoe shuffle, show some intricate Handmade work .... "sorry, what?" ..... "oh, thought I heard someone speak" .... pick up my hat ....

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 07:36PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Forum discussion - usage - future directions
February 09, 2018 12:27AM
Gary,
The internet is a tough crowd. They want what they want, when they want it. And I don't think anyone really knows what they want, and the when seems randomly dependent upon the rest of their lives. Because the internet will be there later. Although we can respond immediately, we don't usually get an immediate response, often because we are in the middle of something else. I know this doesn't help much, and certainly doesn't pay the bills.

I'm curious how the online shop has done. I know people like to be able to go buy a finished product, when they happen to have time. But how much advertising needs to be done? I don't know. And there always needs to be product available, or people don't come back.

I personally enjoy seeing the builds in progress. But when work gets busy, I'm not around much either. This is just my ramblings, I don't know if any of it helps. I pray you're able to keep working through this tough time.

Scott
Re: Forum discussion - usage - future directions
February 17, 2018 06:56PM
Hi Scott,

Thank you for taking time to respond. I intended to get back and hadn't yet. Sorry.

I have really seriously strained my brain to crack the code for this type of business. Everything has indeed changed. Not matured. Not improved. Just changed. You hit one really BIGGIE! Inventory. People want to SHOP. They want HANDMADE. EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY. Perhaps UNIQUE. Often limited EDITIONS. FINISHED. PHOTOGRAPHED. CODED. Most likely so they can drop items in a shopping cart. They want CHOICE.

In conclusion, they'd prefer the availability of about two years worth of work, to browse thru. I'm not being silly. An online site should probably have 20-30 knives listed, sized, photographed from all angles, described, special features noted, inventoried, keyed into the selling program, etc. How long would that take?

I hear that people hesitate if I show items I finished. They don't know what's coming next week. They may want a detail that's not listed. They want to compare this one to that one. Bummed if they want to lounge back to look at the pics but someone else could buy at any second.

You see, I'm not numb to this. In about 94? we tried opening a Gallery of my work. I worked like a team of Elves and just filled the ground floor if a restored 19th century building in an art community. Stained glass, jewelry, knives, wind toys, furniture, oil paintings, and dozens of other things. The FAQ from Gallery Visitors: 1). Do you have any others like this? 2). What's up stairs? 3). Can I use your bathroom? 4). Are the items on the Christmas tree for sale? (They were China wooden ornaments from the dollar store). We finally just said yes and sold them all for $5 each.

Why don't people appreciate unique items anymore? Because they want to choose from a hundred unique items. If they really really really like something and can buy it; why can't they be happy buying it? Because they may like something else next week. Why don't I just quit? If you could make all the things that you have seen here, would you?

Yes, everything has changed around me in 44 years. Except my work. That has gotten much better and it's about 1/3 the price it was in the 80's. If folks could be happy or satisfied with things they really like, we could all be really happy.

What do you think of my points Scott, or all other readers???

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 31
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021