Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: .45 Hoss

.45 Hoss
January 14, 2011 11:11PM
Hey y'all.

I've got a question for Gary and/or Julio.

I was wandering around the site again looking at whatever I haven't seen before and again I ran into some pics of the Hoss and wondered what the power numbers are for that little critter. I don't recall hearing (reading) about them.

Thanks guys.
January 14, 2011 11:47PM
Hi Griffin,

The Hoss was last seen going over the rail with this scoundrel! He has been seen shooting it with the open sites to good effect on the woods walk.
Pirate Hoss.jpg

The Hoss has been a fabulous performer with 454 round ball. We've been filling to 3000 PSI for a full 3 shots. This makes it easy when shooting several guns off the same regulator. I believe Julio was filling to 3200 for the best balance of all three shots. I think the balls are moving in the mid 800 range. Julio had muzzle loaded some heavier slugs to get a little more power at a cost of a little velocity. I have not choreographed the pistol, but the numbers are out there. I'll just post some pics for now.
Hoss .jpg
Hoss CU.jpg
Hoss CU 2.jpg

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 11:48PM by Cajun Justice.
January 15, 2011 02:20PM
Kent,

Nice costume. I used to dress as a pirate at the kids birthdays years ago, that picture makes me want to go polish my cutlass.

Lon
January 15, 2011 01:37AM
Thanks Sinbad ... Ahrrrrrrhhh!!! wink

The Hoss makes about 220 fpe with 280 grain Bishops. That's in 45 caliber.

If you recall the HAWG pistol, in 62 .... it got 330 foot pounds. A 62 Hoss could be expected to be on the + side of 300 fpe as well.

It was always pleasing the way the Hoss reaches waaaaaay out and pounds steel reactive targets. You can hold on 60 yard targets, standing, in the woods, and be very surprised if you miss one.

Thanks,
Gary
January 15, 2011 01:46AM
Thanks both Kent and Gary.

That's some good pop for a short gun.

I'm glad you guys picked out a period correct set of sights for that bad boyself-hammer

I've never heard of the hawg, I guess I'm going to have to go back through what I can find and see if there is any info on that brute. 330 pounds has got to be a bit to handle.

thanks for the info. Any leads on where to find out about the hawg would be appreciated.
January 15, 2011 01:49AM
Hey Kent (or would that be Jack Sparrow),

Are you providing a show now for your patients who wake up from their anesthesia?? Or, maybe you are just getting tired of those boring "scrubs"!!!! Come on, fill us in on the new duds!!!
January 15, 2011 02:09AM
Hi Griffin:

The Hoss is capable of shooting the .457 round ball at aprox. 740 fps IIRC. It will give 3 good shots and a fourth weaker shot, if it's filled at 3,200 psi.

I do remember shooting targets at 100 yds., resting the Hoss on a sand bag and hitting the targets frequently. Even at 100 yds the round ball kept a lot of its energy.

Kent or I should say Capt. Sparrow, thanks for showing it.

Julio

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2011 12:27PM by Julio.
January 15, 2011 06:22AM
Well, I went looking for the Hawg (haven't found it yet) but I did run across this about the Hoss

I guess I'll keep looking for the Hawg.
January 15, 2011 01:26PM
The HAWG was a speciality item. Not a catalog gun.

It was never finished. Still hangs around the shop in pcs., here and there.

Here's a pic of Jim shooting it, in it's raw state, long ago.

DSC02563.JPG

Green bowing

Gary
January 15, 2011 02:10PM
Thanks Gary . . . cool pic. cooler

Here's the only page I could find on it . . . I thought there was more info somewhere:

[www.glbarnes.com]

-- Jim
January 15, 2011 04:52PM
Jim, that was a good read about the Hawg.....Gary you were true to your word and never did finish it, maybe now you will?
Kent, you pirate you, you say you have not "choreographed " the Hoss??? That I'd like to see!
Cheers
Neil
January 15, 2011 07:16PM
Thanks for the info on the Hawg. What a brute!

I really like the nice simple lines on the carbine. Seems like it would be a handful in pistol format.

While it seems that shorter, bigger bore rifles are now coming into style, it would appear that you beat the curve. Jack Haley is making guns similar in theory. .58 cal guns with 14" barrels. Still putting out 350-400ft lbs, but they're considerably shorter (but not lighter) than the .45 cals putting out that kind of juice. More than capable of bringing home the bacon.

Beautiful gun Gary. Why on earth would you not finish it? It seems like people would be fighting over a gun like that. I know I'd be scraping together would I could for a rig like that!

Thanks again for the info Jim.
January 16, 2011 12:48AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks. The Hoss and Hawg, both; are extremely fun guns, and monster powerful.

The Hawg was never finished, to date, because I'm conscious of all the folks waiting. Believe it or not, I've been dragging all the ledger guns along the path to the exit door. Jerry was up today. I showed him a bunch of stuff, and told him ... "it's hard to imagine that so much work can go on and on and on and STILL ... the stuff is not complete. It's just simply that much work. Yes - exactly - I had no idea how much work it would be to finish all these guns. That, and the fact that most of the guns were prototyped when I felt like I was 35, and are being manufactured, for order, when I feel like I'm 75. Big difference. take a bow But - the bottom line is that they are being completed. And they are all far better than the prototyped test beds.

Got some pics taken today. Let me see if I can post some later. Glad you liked the Hawg. Some day it will be completed. Like several other special pcs. I started for proof of concept pcs. Every surface, shelf, and corner of the shop; contains some portion of an idea that I ran thru the machine tools.

Gary
January 16, 2011 01:09AM
Back here again ... haha.

Thought of another important thought. To get a gun to the point where you see the Hawg here ... where it's fun and accurate ... it about a third of the work as finishing it.

Gary
January 15, 2011 06:51PM
What an awesome looking pistol. That is really neat that that pistol makes that much power. That seems like a very fun gun to shoot.
January 17, 2011 01:52AM
Hi Everyone,

To try and catch up... The pirate costume was from Halloween this past yr. It was an alcohol free event and no shots were fired. Interestingly the moniker Capt Jack Sparrow was the former owner's on another airgun blog. This gun has truly been an island hopper.

I know the pirate could be a choreographer, I suspect Johnny Depp is! My autospell program changed chrono to choreo and that's how rumors get started.

My recall of the velocity is suspect. Julio's numbers give us 179 ft/lbs. This really give a good report from the steel targets. One caution with this pistol is wear a ear plug in the target side ear. The muzzle blast is too close and exposed when shooting in Barnes style.

Keep shoot'n
Kent
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021