Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Various topics - pics

Various topics - pics
February 06, 2011 02:44AM
A few different topics here:

Clean Up _ Mill _ 001.JPG

Kent (and those of you with manual feed quills) .... Here's the first step to making highly precise power up and down, on your mill quill. Bore and tap the center of the handwheel shaft. For 1/4-28 ... I used .218" to drill. Consult your charts. Now thread a nut on the threads first ... screw in about an 1 1/2" hex bolt ... and lock the nut against the shaft.

Clean Up _ Mill _ 003.JPG

There you go, you are now done with mill modifications. Thread out the three big ole hand wheel bars with knobs. You won't need them anymore. Adjust the friction knob on that wheel, to be snugly tight.

Clean Up _ Mill _ 004.JPG

Now ... you place a 7/16" hex drive in a cordless drill, and you have a fine variable speed, power up and down mill! take a bow

Clean Up _ Mill _ 005.JPG

Today, I removed six packed buckets of lathe shavings.

Clean Up _ Mill _ 006.JPG

Stomped down tight buckets. THAT is a lot of mill shavings from a lot of parts.

Thought I'd take a break, and shoot a few pellets into the clay. Lined up on a quickly marked location .... Bang.

Clean Up _ Mill _ 008.JPG

Only to find .... whistling ... that Jerry had been there first! shooter with bench rifle

One of his slugs buried inside MY clay. hahah.

Clean Up _ Mill _ 009.JPG

So, I twisted off a chunk of clay, and rolled it to the size of a golf ball. Made a quick mouse head ....

Clean Up _ Mill _ 011.JPG

Line up ... BANG

Clean Up _ Mill _ 012.JPG

Only to find out ....

Clean Up _ Mill _ 014.JPG

Jim had been there first! One of the round ball from his Scout 45!!!

why me Can't a guy shoot a hollow point into some clay, in his own shop!!! hahahaha. grinning smiley

Clean Up _ Mill _ 016.JPG

I'd thought the visible lead, must be my rolled up hollow point ... skewed off. But - it had been Jim's round ball in the clay. haha. So, my hollow point had blasted a channel, and gone into the backer clay. There is it.

Clean Up _ Mill _ 017.JPG

I spent a long day cleaning the shop. It's been overdue.

Clean Up _ Mill _ 018.JPG

Makes you feel all new and sparkly ... "festive"

Clean Up _ Mill _ 019.JPG

Still tight, but tidy.

Gary
February 06, 2011 06:51AM
The shop that clean....it's kinda scary! footinmouth
February 06, 2011 05:29PM
I know. I probably won't be able to find anything. hahaha.

I had to remove the shavings, as I'd run out of buckets back there behind the lathe.

Dude ... you're young ... you should have been there. This morning .... Even more coffee ... hahahah.

OK ... onward and upward! wow

Gary
February 06, 2011 08:14AM
Looks kind of spooky to me too!

Kind of like when someone walks onto a job site in some new carhartts and everyone asks who the new guy is.
Anonymous User
February 06, 2011 04:56PM
A machining shop should be clean,,,, safer...also good for mental well being.....db.
February 07, 2011 03:04AM
I like your power feed setup Gary, but now I need a better cordless drill and one of those dial "thingies" . OOPS, I think I just found your pocket watch, Its stuck to your mill.blush

Kent
February 07, 2011 03:35AM
Hi Kent,

The dial thingies are cheap. But, of course ... you already have digital. No use to clutter up your state of the art with analog. haha.

The drill/quill really is handy. You'd be amazed how much work it is to drill one 1" hole. 5/16" pilot, opened to 1/2" ... opened to 5/8" ... to 3/4" ... to 7/8" to 15/16th .... to 1". How many times did the quill go up and down to change out bits? Some might think ya just toss in a 1" bit and drill a 1" hole. If you do ... you can get a nice egg shaped 1 to 1 1/8" hole, a burnt drill bit, and more chatter than enough throughout the machine.

The cordless drill attachment, really helps to wind the bit up for change, and to bring it back to engagement. On some things, you can even down feed with it.

Gary
February 07, 2011 11:29AM
We're going to see a bunch of handy shop tips here. The mystery is disappearing!
February 07, 2011 05:24PM
That's the problem Jerry ....

Before long ... everybody will be making these things! why me

Hide all the ENCO catalogs!

hahaha.

Gary
February 09, 2011 01:00AM
LOL. GB, that is one funny post...lol

Man, you are very ARTSY...lol. Could not think of another word at the moment. But man, your hand molded animal from the duct seal just crack me up. I'm really pathetic cause my 11 pound pack of duct seal is a simply damn BALL! And your making animals with yours
February 09, 2011 02:11AM
Thanks Cedric,

We'll have to have a "Clay 101" class. hahah.

Pinch here, pull there. "Release the animal" from the clay. hahah.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021