Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Tuesday

Tuesday
February 09, 2011 02:27AM
Worked a long day, advancing this batch of intakes I've been working on. There's 17 of them here. All different gun designs (thanks to Gary's wonderful non-standard model madness! excited hahaha.

Sharp tools make nice clean shavings. There's a lot of sharpening that goes along with lathe work.

A lot of different set-ups for each type of cut.

And ... of course, I fiddled with something (in an effort to make it just that much more perfect than it needed to be) ... and ... in the next instant ... wiped all the threads off a blank, and ruined one. Part of the game. Not one of the fun parts.

Moving along toward that next bluing session. No matter the best planning, there's always a part of two ... from the set of many ... that has escaped being completed for the last bluing session. At some point, you just have to "do it!" And then you start on the next batch.

Gary
Intakes 005.JPG
Intakes 006.JPG
Intakes 008.JPG
February 09, 2011 02:45AM
jees o peet that's a lot of fiil valves. I'm confused just looking at them. I'm glad you know where they're supposed to go. Couldn't you just be like everyone else and buy them in bulk?Blinking devil
February 09, 2011 05:26AM
Gary,

That is an underappreciated part. I always impressed me.bowing

Hey, those shavings look the same as the last ones, you're not using file footage are you?wink

Lon
February 09, 2011 03:50PM
Gary,
As I related to you elsewhere, it is even more interesting and impressive to see such detail as I begin working with metal. It's appreciated when you post the detailed images of working in progress. I know you can't provide all the details for obvious reasons. All my chips are PVC right now.

Thanks for sharing,

Kent
February 09, 2011 05:15PM
HI Kent,

I took some video for your yesterday. Right now ... I'm grinding my teeth over trying to understand my STUPID digital cameras. why me When my BP comes down ... I will post the video for you.

Hey ... can you seriously understand that Casio camera? I've had two sessions completely ruined recently. Beautiful opportunities missed. Because after taking great pains to set the camera's menus, nothing would work in the field. It will insist upon finding some way to switch into a mode that defaults to lower pixel counts. And ... I get crap. Today, after struggling to get it to 9meg ... It would not focus. Simly would NOT focus. There are about nine different setting for that alone. I simply cannot figure the thing out, to take a simple picture. The BEST shot stuff, doesn't seem to ever apply to anything I want to do. How would you set the thing, to take a crisp telephoto pic at 30-50 yards?

Right ... I'll post the video.

Gary
February 09, 2011 07:51PM
Gary

one of my best medical school professors used to say...."The enemy of 'good' is 'perfect' "
February 09, 2011 08:40PM
I've often heard variants of that quote such as; "the enemy of good enough is better (or perfect)."

Of course, Gary isn't in the business of making "good enough," there are others that fill that slot with various levels of quality....

I think that when you're in the business of making "superlative" then "perfect" is a lot closer and mishaps in-between are more common.
February 09, 2011 08:58PM
Thanks Jerry. thumbs up

Joebill! You and Kent go to school together? hahah. I've heard him tell me that a couple of times. You DOCS! More coffee

I actually thought it that when I was tossing out the ruined part last night.

Gary
February 10, 2011 01:11AM
On the plus side, as a surgeon, my "work piece" can help heal itself...unlike an inanimate object

on the down side......well, I guess that one's pretty obvious - I cant just scrap it and start over more innocent

so that phrase has more relevance to my "world" I guess...but I'll bet we've all screwed SOMETHING up by trying to tweak that last little bit......
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021